Caught in a Flooded parking lot - need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that is likely the case - i.e. would be hard to get that much right now for it - but you hit the nail on the head here - I am just torn to see this taken out of commission. One of my happiest possessions ever and it just seems so unfair. But economically - hard to not take the money and invest that plus what it would have taken to fix this one back up into another one.....but I've been down all week about the situation. You really become attached to these trucks.

I think that is likely the case - i.e. would be hard to get that much right now for it - but you hit the nail on the head here - I am just torn to see this taken out of commission. One of my happiest possessions ever and it just seems so unfair. But economically - hard to not take the money and invest that plus what it would have taken to fix this one back up into another one.....but I've been down all week about the situation. You really become attached to these trucks.
Trust me I know. I am glad I am not the one having to ponder this. :(

In the bigger picture of life. It is money and it is a replaceable machine. (well, maybe it is a family pet? :( )

Still is not an easy call to make.

Mark...

You can ask them if they will give you a reconstruction salvage being that it is not a structural damage.
ask them how much for you to buy it back?
I had my 60 t boned and I bought it back I still got good money for it. then I parted it out.! structurally it wasn't sound.

Keep it, keep it, keep it! 5 hrs in the water. Even the carpet is designed to dry out from that.
Tough call when they’re offering that much though. Impressive to be honest.

It would be a massive waste IMO to go through insurance on this, its a very nice truck with really very minimal damage done to it. Theyre so simple to repair and the damage to it cant be substantial.

They print more money all the time. They will never build new FJ60’s or 62’s. All the parts you need to fix this are available and there’s plenty of knowledge and help on here to figure out what to do.

Sitting here, imagining it were me going through this, I wouldn’t ditch it. Didn’t even take me a nanosecond to come to this conclusion. @cps432 ’s comment is pretty spot on as well.

Curious as to how you have it insured…is it stated value or? I’m shocked that insurance offered that much out of the gate…

Curious as to how you have it insured…is it stated value or? I’m shocked that insurance offered that much out of the gate…
Likewise. I can certainly understand the temptation to take the money and run. Did the insurance company mean $2,850? That is actually a fair price if you don’t factor the inflated prices due to demand currently. Twelve years ago my truck sold for $3,000. Today it would sell for minimum $13,000 in that same condition.

An insurance company offering nearly $30K is kind of bonkers when you consider they sold for about $14k new in the 1980’s.

Imagine in 35 years an insurance company offering $160K for one of the brand new Land Cruiser 250’s…. With more than 150,000 miles on it… after it floods… 🤯

Now that I think about it, depending on what you have invested in it you might take that money. I paid $4600 for mine. I’ve put at least $10K into it after that. If an insurance company offered me $28K I would be stupid not to take it.

• I understand the kinship. Mine goes back 35 years. Plus it’s appears to be be a well maintained low mileage vehicle, especially considering New York weather impediments. But, I’m also absolutely shocked, that an insurance company offered you a $28 grand salvage value…mind sharing the company name? By chance, might you have had an Agreed Value (more restrictive and grossly expensive) as opposed to an Actual Cash Value auto policy?

I will personally drive up to NY and conk you over the head if you deal with your insurance company over this.
I’ll sit shotgun.
But you have to pick me up in Texas first 😉

Mine has probably driven through water deeper than that multiple times. I don't see what could be damaged?

IMHO, keep it, replace oils in both diffs, transfer case and gearbox, change the oil, repack the wheel bearings and knuckles, grease anything that can be greased, and drive.

Does insurance just say YOU can’t buy it back but they’ll sell it at auction to someone else? If that were the case, I’d counter their $28k with like $35k due to sentimental value, rising costs, etc.; then take that money, buy another one, have cash left over and someone else gets a good deal on one at an auction.

I would pull it apart. Get new carpet from
@dnp - don’t report it to insurance bc then it will show on public record. It’s a classic fix it yourself :)

USAA is my carrier and it was just a normal policy. They actually offered closer to 29. Im still doing some work around it and have not made a decision. USAA said fine to cancel the claim anytime in next few months. I think they are going to let me drive it out for a bit and see if anything else is damaged and make a call then. The rear seats were folded down and absorbed a lot of dirty water (oils / sewages / etc) from the floods. This was not clean river water in any way. I get the comments about being crazy to turn this in. Trust me I do. That being said I do have some rust on this (east coast living) and to get over 30K (they actually pay the 8.75% sales tax bringing it to 32) and finding a rust free version is very tempting.

Take the money. Find another rig. It’s rare to get that kind of $ for it. Make new memories. Attach them to your new rig.

Obviously the water had subsided by the time you took the picture. If the seats are that wet. And you right who knows what was in that water !
Take the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom