Builds Car souq pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a field trip this morning to the wrecker yards south of Riyadh. It’s comprised of two large areas that must be 2 or 3 square miles each with individual yards abutting one another. To say there was no organization would be wrong but basically everyone was just driving around looking, I suppose, for a particular car that might have the parts you need. I bought an OEM pintle hitch to put on my ‘77 FJ55 but otherwise didn’t even see a pre 2000 FZJ75. I did see some newer models (see photo) and literally thousands of wrecked Hilux and Nissan pickups - all white.

2DA5567D-1715-4A8F-878A-5C27CDA22343.jpeg

So my wife and I both like the look of the pickups with the spare tire mounted on the front of the bed. Mine has no provision for mounting that I can find. I'm guessing if it came with the auxiliary tank the tire was mounted in the bed; otherwise it was mounted underneath. These pickups are everywhere over here so I've observed a pretty large sample to backup that guess. It looks like the parts are still available on Partsouq.com but the diagram is really confusing. If I do buy the parts it looks like I would need to at a minimum drill some holes in the bed.

Anyone been there done that? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

Here's a link to the part's diagram: ToyoDIY.com

Here's a photo of a newer model, FZJ79, with the tire carrier removed. Probably different hardware but it gives you a good idea of what would need to be done.

Leaning toward not making this modification but thought I would at least throw it out there in case it's much easier than I imagine.

48688129-D2F0-428F-AA02-F29DC046F59C.jpeg

So my wife and I both like the look of the pickups with the spare tire mounted on the front of the bed. Mine has no provision for mounting that I can find. I'm guessing if it came with the auxiliary tank the tire was mounted in the bed; otherwise it was mounted underneath. These pickups are everywhere over here so I've observed a pretty large sample to backup that guess. It looks like the parts are still available on Partsouq.com but the diagram is really confusing. If I do buy the parts it looks like I would need to at a minimum drill some holes in the bed.

Anyone been there done that? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

Here's a link to the part's diagram: ToyoDIY.com

Here's a photo of a newer model, FZJ79, with the tire carrier removed. Probably different hardware but it gives you a good idea of what would need to be done.

Leaning toward not making this modification but thought I would at least throw it out there in case it's much easier than I imagine.

View attachment 2111880
Can't tell from that photo but are the small "chocks" part of the floor?

Can't tell from that photo but are the small "chocks" part of the floor?

The small chocks are part of the bed liner. I have them in my bed liner as well even though I know the truck isn't set up for the spare. The bed liner in my pickup is new and therefore not of '94 vintage. Can't really say if they ever came without the chocks.

My chocks are welded / tacked and are a permanent installation. I've seen some mounts where the tire was simply held in place with a single bolt / nut but without the chocks the tire still moved around.

My intermittent wiper/washer not working issue resurrected so I ordered a new switch assembly. I noticed one of the internal screw tabs was missing off the steering column cover so I ordered a replacement.

When I installed the new switch assembly the wiper still didn’t work. Took me a while but I finally found the relay and after making sure the wiring plug was in tight it works. Left the new switches installed; nothing like shiny new parts.

Also noticed license plate light bulbs were out. Assemblies were pretty trashed anyway so instead of bulbs I ordered new assemblies complete with bulbs and wiring pigtail. They were only $10 each....nice surprise.

Gave the steering wheel a much needed bath while I had it off.

CABD5BEB-0E98-40DF-BCCF-24D0F0140790.jpeg

7418A353-3190-48FC-8E90-CAB772F87674.jpeg

I'm not sure I've ever driven anything with a rear suspension as stiff as this 75.

The 75 series needs at least 250-350kgs on the back to smooth it out. Keeping the rear tank full, carrying the spare down the back and fitting a HD tow bar can help a fair bit.

Gave the steering wheel a much needed bath while I had it off.

The wheel and grab handle seem to be magnets for dirty hand grime on the 7* series:rolleyes:

The 75 series needs at least 250-350kgs on the back to smooth it out. Keeping the rear tank full, carrying the spare down the back and fitting a HD tow bar can help a fair bit.

Spare is underneath and no aux tank. Maybe I just need a camel to keep in the back? :p

Spare is underneath and no aux tank. Maybe I just need a camel to keep in the back? :p

Hello,

A camel or a couple sacks of sand. Wait. Better make it two camels. That will soften the ride enough.

Just saying...

Juan

Took a field trip this morning to the wrecker yards south of Riyadh. It’s comprised of two large areas that must be 2 or 3 square miles each with individual yards abutting one another. To say there was no organization would be wrong but basically everyone was just driving around looking, I suppose, for a particular car that might have the parts you need. I bought an OEM pintle hitch to put on my ‘77 FJ55 but otherwise didn’t even see a pre 2000 FZJ75. I did see some newer models (see photo) and literally thousands of wrecked Hilux and Nissan pickups - all white.

View attachment 2110942

I'm heading to the Kingdom in a couple of weeks. Planning on spending some time here picking up some bits for the Troopy.

Any recommendations on particular yards?

I'm heading to the Kingdom in a couple of weeks. Planning on spending some time here picking up some bits for the Troopy.

Any recommendations on particular yards?

The only Troopys I saw are the short wheel base ones and most of those I think were 2010+ (but I'm no expert on that model). There really isn't a lot of organization to the yards as far as I could tell. Some vendors leaned toward one brand or another so for the most part you just have to drive around until you see something or a bunch of somethings in the flavor of vehicle you are looking for and then ask. Take photos of what you want with you as you will find English in very short supply. Kudos to you if you speak Arabic. I know just enough words to be polite but not enough to describe something without a photo. Take cash.

Good luck. Let me know what you find.

The only Troopys I saw are the short wheel base ones and most of those I think were 2010+ (but I'm no expert on that model). There really isn't a lot of organization to the yards as far as I could tell. Some vendors leaned toward one brand or another so for the most part you just have to drive around until you see something or a bunch of somethings in the flavor of vehicle you are looking for and then ask. Take photos of what you want with you as you will find English in very short supply. Kudos to you if you speak Arabic. I know just enough words to be polite but not enough to describe something without a photo. Take cash.

Good luck. Let me know what you find.

Cheers. I've learnt a lot in 8+ years in Dubai how to deal. Looking for a dash, so not model specific, which should make it easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom