****Canvas maintenance **** OEM Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a good match! Hopefully, they'll fade the same.

I know this is an old thread, but have finally gotten my OCD top on my cruiser after all these year and want to seal it.
I have read Canvac which I can get. I have also seen Meguiars canvas for the UV after the canvac, but doesn't seem to be available anymore.
Is there a new recommendation?
303 fabric guard
sungaurd
scotchguard sun & water
starbrite with PTEF

Also, trying to sort out which way the OEM weatherstrip goes in around the perimeter of the door.
I think the longer edge goes out with the shorter edge at the base towards the inside. (Somewhere I read opposite)
I have another set of FST doors that have the longer edge out, but don't know if ever changed...probably not. But before I install I want to check so I don't have to take this apart after feeding 6' through the track.
I also have SOR weatherstrtip and hard to see which way that would go, their diagram shows long leg in, but my rubber curves opposite to their picture when installed.

Thanks!!

Ok, I found another older set of FST doors and the longer edge of the base is on the outside, which is what I thought.

I purchased 303 Marine fabric guard, but before I put it on...any thoughts on canvac?

I used Canvac for 15 years on my Paki softop. It uses turpentine as a solvent for the wax so it can be sprayed on. I made the mistake of treating it in cold weather and the turpentine never really evaporated. Hopefully there are more options when i purchase a new top. Seemed to work well for quite a few years.
Word of caution: if you are a smoker id make sure you follow the Canvac directions to the T.
Towards the end of its life.
IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

I used Canvac for 15 years on my Paki softop. It uses turpentine as a solvent for the wax so it can be sprayed on. I made the mistake of treating it in cold weather and the turpentine never really evaporated. Hopefully there are more options when i purchase a new top. Seemed to work well for quite a few years.
Word of caution: if you are a smoker id make sure you follow the Canvac directions to the T.
Towards the end of its life.
View attachment 3533400
View attachment 3533401
Thanks for the tip about treating when warm. Will have to wait to seal it now.
Did you treat it on the truck or off the truck initially?

20231231_125944.jpg
20240115_134757.jpg
20240115_134806.jpg

That patina on the top and the fact its tight, I'd try and save it unless the fabric is just done, that looks right IMO.
It’s so worn out I can put my finger right through it which is unfortunate because it’s like an old pair of Levi’s; right when they are at their best they’re just about done.
Thanks for the tip about treating when warm. Will have to wait to seal it now.
Did you treat it on the truck or off the truck initially?

View attachment 3534301View attachment 3534302View attachment 3534303
I treated it off initially then in the subsequent years id just unsnap it and put tarps under it to keep it off the paint. It smells really bad for a few days until the turpentine evaporates off. It didn’t do any damage to the paint and would clean off easily with warm soapy water. It would always give me flashbacks of my Army days and sleeping in the musty GP Mediums.
The mustard and olive go together really well. Nice Cruiser.

V8FJ4078, who made your top?

V8FJ4078, who made your top?
@NicksFJ40
OCD, I bought it back in 2010 since I was going to put it on another cruiser I was working on that I painted FJ Cruiser Green. It's a project sitting in the corner of my garage for another day, so just pulling it out after storing it all these years. He did a great job making it. I have a really old canvas top I bought for a pattern, but he convinced me to go with this window set up vs the older style that twist lock in and out. I was pleased as this turned out great! I wish he still made them. I'd buy another (Maybe I should have then)

Damn, does OCD still make them? Was my next question. Looks great! I recently painted my 40 6H9. So I’m searching tops and colors. Thanks for the info.

Nick

Damn, does OCD still make them? Was my next question. Looks great! I recently painted my 40 6H9. So I’m searching tops and colors. Thanks for the info.

Nick
I don't know that I have read that anyone is making them in canvas, I think it was all a different material. I have read lots, but can't remember all the details on the material used by the 2 places I know of making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom