Can you identify my Brake Master Cylinder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have front disc brakes on my 1980 FJ40 and rear drum brakes. But the braking is horrible, any hard sudden braking results in wheels locking up (i believe the rear) and the car just continues to slide forward. Doesn't necessarily have to be at high speeds either. I know from my Datsun when I upgraded my brakes I had to also get the appropriate master cylinder and I believe the company that restored my car didn't install the correct one.

I'm planning to order one that suitable for front disc rear drums set up Brake Master Cylinder for '76 to '80 Land Cruiser FJ40 BJ40 FJ55 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/brake-master-cylinder-for-76-to-80-land-cruiser-fj40-bj40-fj55

But, I want to first check and see what exactly is installed in my car. Can anyone identify it please?

brakes.jpg

That looks like a 2nd-gen pickup/4Runner master cylinder. Not sure how compatible it might be with a 40, but my guess is that it would take some monkeying around to get the pedal freeplay correct? I wonder if the push rod and/or brake booster were swapped over too?

Assuming that MC *can* be made to work in a 40, it sounds like you might need a proportioning valve. Do you see one anywhere? It would be on the rear brake line somewhere. If there isn't one, you can add an adjustable aftermarket PV that allows you to bias the rear brakes so that they don't lock up prematurely. I installed one on my 62 when I deleted the stock load-sensing proportioning valve. They're not too expensive and not difficult to install if you have access to a flaring kit. City Racer sells one that will work with metric fittings: Wildwood Adjustable Brake Proportioning Valve with Toyota Adapters for Any Toyota - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/wildwood-adjustable-brake-proportioning-valve-with-toyota-adapters-fits-fj40?_pos=4&_sid=81d909a2a&_ss=r

Here's a pic of my install:

zzz62074.jpg

If you decide to go back to the stock master cylinder, double-check that you have the correct push rod/booster as well, otherwise the stock MC might not work properly either.

It looks like you have a quality Aisin master but I don’t see a proportioning valve which would explain rears locking up before the disc brakes grab properly.

I like the suggestion above with the CityRacer valve.

This is my OEM master for my ‘76 with front discs and rear drums. The proportioning valve is mounted below the master on the booster. It works well on mine.

IMG_9579.jpeg

It looks like you have a quality Aisin master but I don’t see a proportioning valve which would explain rears locking up before the disc brakes grab properly.

I like the suggestion above with the CityRacer valve.

This is my OEM master for my ‘76 with front discs and rear drums. The proportioning valve is mounted below the master on the booster. It works well on mine.

View attachment 3441464

wow that install looks so clean!

If you decide to go back to the stock master cylinder, double-check that you have the correct push rod/booster as well, otherwise the stock MC might not work properly either.

Is there a way to check it before I order? Also you were right, turns out the master cylinder wssn't for the FJ40, when I just started looking at Toyota master cylinders I ended up finding it and turns out I have a 1990-92 FJ80 master cylinder.

I'm borderline about to order a new booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve, but just emailed CityRacer to see if they'd know if my master cylinder would fit on my booster, so depends on what they say. I do feel relieved though knowing there was an issue with my setup because it means I now can solve it.

masterbooster.jpg

It looks like the plate next to the master cylinder has your part numbers listed on it.

I would double check your month build of your 1980 before you buy - things changed around 7/1980. I have a Jan 1980 (1/80) and the double barrel MC. From 7/80+ it is a single barrel MC like you have. - That said with drums in back, doesn't seem right and I suspect like mentioned before a PV is missing. That said, upgrading to that MC (80 series) with a PV is something I've read people do on MUD with their 40. Will see if I can find that thread.

For Example, MC from Cruiser Outfitter...
7/80+
Brake Master Cylinder - Fits 7/1980 - 1/1990 4x/6x Applications (BKN60220N) - https://cruiserteq.com/brake-master-cylinder-fits-7-1980-1-1990-4x-6x-applications-bkn60220n/

or 75-7/80
Brake Master Cylinder - Fits 9/1975 - 7/1980 4x/5x Applications (BKN60050N) - https://cruiserteq.com/brake-master-cylinder-fits-9-1975-7-1980-4x-5x-applications-bkn60050n/

The Heritage Program just brought back OEM MC for the 9/75-7/80 MC a couple months ago. And now I think you said you found it.

(I'm not suggesting buy from Cruiser Outfitters over Racer or anything like that. I buy from both and they are great. Just poke around before pulling the trigger.)

I have front disc brakes on my 1980 FJ40 and rear drum brakes. But the braking is horrible, any hard sudden braking results in wheels locking up (i believe the rear) and the car just continues to slide forward. Doesn't necessarily have to be at high speeds either. I know from my Datsun when I upgraded my brakes I had to also get the appropriate master cylinder and I believe the company that restored my car didn't install the correct one.

I'm planning to order one that suitable for front disc rear drums set up Brake Master Cylinder for '76 to '80 Land Cruiser FJ40 BJ40 FJ55 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/brake-master-cylinder-for-76-to-80-land-cruiser-fj40-bj40-fj55

But, I want to first check and see what exactly is installed in my car. Can anyone identify it please?

View attachment 3441383

That looks exactly like this 80 Series cylinder:

1695933004112.png

You could verify for looking for the diameter stamp, it should be 1" which is the ID bore. You can also rebuild that cylinder should you want. But neither of those will fix your issue if the cylinder is not the culprit. That should provide good braking and is a VERY common upgrade cylinder for many fwiw.

You can see other 8x Cylinders here:

1695932741652.png

I would double check your month build of your 1980 before you buy - things changed around 7/1980. I have a Jan 1980 (1/80) and the double barrel MC. From 7/80+ it is a single barrel MC like you have. - That said with drums in back, doesn't seem right and I suspect like mentioned before a PV is missing. That said, upgrading to that MC (80 series) with a PV is something I've read people do on MUD with their 40. Will see if I can find that thread.

For Example, MC from Cruiser Outfitter...
7/80+
Brake Master Cylinder - Fits 7/1980 - 1/1990 4x/6x Applications (BKN60220N) - https://cruiserteq.com/brake-master-cylinder-fits-7-1980-1-1990-4x-6x-applications-bkn60220n/

or 75-7/80
Brake Master Cylinder - Fits 9/1975 - 7/1980 4x/5x Applications (BKN60050N) - https://cruiserteq.com/brake-master-cylinder-fits-9-1975-7-1980-4x-5x-applications-bkn60050n/

The Heritage Program just brought back OEM MC for the 9/75-7/80 MC a couple months ago. And now I think you said you found it.

(I'm not suggesting buy from Cruiser Outfitters over Racer or anything like that. I buy from both and they are great. Just poke around before pulling the trigger.)

Figured I'd toss this out there. The reason our price on the BKN60050N (which is the orignal master for a 9/75-7/1980 FJ40) spiked is because these are the OE Advics/AISIN, exact same as the GR Heritage (which we have here). Unfortunately when Toyota re-launched them in the GR Heritage program (Thanks Koyari-San), we lost them in the OEM aftermarket program and AISIN/ADVICS discontinued them along with many other applications (and more to come). I'll be traveling with Cheif Engineer Koyari in another month and I plan to give him some ribbing. We've seen the same thing happen with a handful of other GRH parts too. They get sucked out of aftermarket OE offerings and sold only via the Toyota part# via GRH.

As supplies dry up on the legit OEM/AISIN/ADVICS options, we'll look for a good aftermarket solution which will be back under the $100 mark.

Good point, it might just be the lack of a brake proportioning valve that is the issue. So I think I'll order that first and fit it and then see if things get sorted or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom