Camping/Overlanding Gear and Packing Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and I are going to do a 2 week trip this summer. We're planning to do Rimrocker, hit a few Moab trails, maybe do Escalante or the Maze, head over to Ouray/Telluride, and then eventually up to the LCDC. Most of the time when we camp we use our trailer, but because it's just the two of us and we'd like to do some multi-day overland trails we're going to need to pack the cruiser and pack differently, so I'm looking for some advice. I've done lots of shorter tent trips (2-4 days) in my life, but this will be the longest by far as well as likely the hottest (Moab in July) and most remote.

#1: Does anyone have a good checklist they use for their trips that they'd like to share? I have one I use to stock and prep the trailer, so if not I'll start with that, but I know it's missing stuff as we have a lot of permanent stuff in there (dishes, utensils, wash basins, etc)

#2: What key gear do you feel you can't live without on a trip? What stuff do you routinely bring and never use?

#3: How are you guys packing stuff for trips like this into your trucks? I don't really want to unload everything each time we stop if I don't need it, especially if it's raining. Rubbermaid storage bins? I have one drawer which is full of tools and recovery gear and I have a set of Kaon dividers (and attic).

#4: Anyone have interesting (and affordable) gear or gear hacks they'd like to share? I'm probably not going to drop $1-2k on a rack-mounted awning, for instance, but I may drop $100 on a 12x20 tarp and some tent poles and then bring some rope and bungees in order to create one if I need the shade. I have a $15 battery-powered faucet that fits on top of my water jug (convenient).

Stuff I do have and will bring (not a complete list):
  • tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses
  • folding camp chairs, folding table
  • plates, silverware, cooking utensils, wash basins, etc
  • Poop tent, “seat”, bags, TP, etc
  • 2-burner propane camp stove
  • propane lantern, flashlights, batteries
  • 75 quart Igloo cooler
  • three 5 gallon water jerry cans
  • one 4.5 gallon rotopax with fuel
I'm assuming campfires may be an issue. What do y'all tend to cook with on longer trips like this? I do have a propane hibachi I can pack but we're not going to sit around it in the evening. (Bringing something like this means I also need a larger propane tank than those 1# ones)

Lastly, I've hit a few people up via PM, but if anyone is interested in doing some overlanding and trails from July 2-12 let me know.

Last edited:
Trunk and rear bumper setup. My rotopax and maxtrax are mounted on the roof. I will likely pull the right 3rd row seat out just for this trip. Thinking the cooler will go there and the I’ll put a bin of food or other gear on top.
1685982699440.png

1685982929727.jpeg

my advice from "overloading" in a defender 90...

1) Nothing comes out of the truck except what is needed at the time, and then goes back in the truck when your done using it.
2) Kitchen/pantry boxes are the most used, the ammo boxes are a good size and can be stacked and tied down easily. The fridge should be easy to get to as well.
3) A dirty clothes bag is a must.
4) You generally need more water than you think, make it convent to get water out of and not have to remove the jerrycan, tank etc.. use a pump or a spout, etc. Include a wash up bin/bucket with the kitchen stuff. I use domestic go water jugs and their pump, how many I bring is a function of how long I am out (1-4 of those), I also have a shower system.
5) one headlight/person USB rechargeable. One Lantern/work light is about all you need.
6) highly recommend a portable toilet (I use a thunder box and it fits in my fire pit/grill bag which lives on the roof).
7) chair, small easily packed

my goal is about 15 minutes from wakeup/get something to eat to on the road, you can do that with a tent/cot setup but just be a minimal as possible with stuff in the tent. taking a hour or 2 e every morning to get ready gets old fast.

last bit of advice, you need a lot less stuff than you think.

It really depends on how many days you are planning to be away from civilization (and established campgrounds) at a time (restock as needed when you roll through a town). Also, it depends on how much of each day you plan to be on the road versus campsite. If you are driving most of the day, you will likely not need or want to deal with an awning or a bunch of camp comforts when you roll into camping in the evening, also quick breakdown in the morning is a benefit.

I would recommend packing light, think more as a backpacker than a car camper.

- isobutane backpacking stove, can get fuel at most outdoor stores, burners are fuel efficient.
- Get a nesting camp cook set like GSI makes, you can have cups, plates, pots, fry pan, lids, all in one small package. Some even come with a wash basin as the carrying case.
- Consider simple freeze-dried meals, you only add water, for dinners on the road. Breakfast is typical yogurt, coffee, etc. Lunch is sandwiches on the move.
- LED headlamps and one LED lantern, no need for propane large lantern.
- Water purifier if you are not going to be near civilization. Pack 1 gallon per person per day max. Water is very heavy.
- Use a sleeping bag stuff sack for a dirty clothes bag, very good suggestion to have a separate bag.
- I have a propane fire pit (travel size) if I want to have a camp fire out west, most locations prohibit wood fires in the summer unless you are in a campground. This is more of a luxury.

I use small Rubbermaid Action Packers labeled for KITCHEN and STOVES etc that way I can quick grab a bin and be ready to setup for meals etc.

I also have a lightweight see-through plastic tub with good locking lid for a food bin. Helps keep food from getting smashed in the back of the truck.

Meal hack.

As one that enjoys hot meals on the go, here's a gadget I find invaluable. Simplifies and opens up meal options away from civilization. Probably not great for frozen meals but anything pre-cooked and chilled can be easily heated up with minimal logistics and cleanup.

There's a bazillion versions of these truckers lunch boxes from soft to hardsided.

Amazon product ASIN B074TZKCCV

Meal hack.

As one that enjoys hot meals on the go, here's a gadget I find invaluable. Simplifies and opens up meal options away from civilization. Probably not great for frozen meals but anything pre-cooked and chilled can be easily heated up with minimal logistics and cleanup.

There's a bazillion versions of these truckers lunch boxes from soft to hardsided.

Amazon product ASIN B074TZKCCV
That's awesome, I never heard of such a thing! Beats sticking your burrito on the engine headers to heat up, haha.

We did most of Rimrocker last year, we pulled our trailer and got to an obstacle near the end that we could not tow through. I would recommend getting on the Rimrocker FB group, you’re likely to find up to date trail info there, possibly hours old info that will save you from backtracking. Chances are you won’t have an issue but you never know when you may run into the damage wrought by a vigorous ditch witch.

We get a lot of mileage out of this collapsing sink basin.

A big annoyance for us is having all of our drinking water getting hot. We would rotate one of our jerrycans to the inside of the vehicle to cut down on the water temp.

It’s been a while since we’ve tent camped but I always got a lot of mileage out of a good umbrella, they double for portable shade.

For Rimrocker, it’s a good time and we had no issues finding camping. We were there in July as well, it was HOT.

I’m looking forward to your trip report, have fun 😉

If you want a fire that is somewhat contained and off the ground then I highly suggest the Pop-Up Fire Pit, it keeps the fire off the ground, semi-contained (still an open flame) and it allows you to put your feet underneath to warm them which is nice. It folds away into a small package for easy storage and they offer an optional grille for those that want to cook with it too. I doubt it would be allowed in areas that have a burn ban as it's still considered an open flame, but I prefer this to making or using and existing fire ring on the ground.

I am a huge proponent of contractor/garbage bags for containing trash and dirty clothes, I keep a roll of them in the Cruiser at all times and they see a lot of use during hunting season for my dirty clothes at camp.

My son and I are going to do a 2 week trip this summer. We're planning to do Rimrocker, hit a few Moab trails, maybe do Escalante or the Maze, head over to Ouray/Telluride, and then eventually up to the LCDC. Most of the time when we camp we use our trailer, but because it's just the two of us and we'd like to do some multi-day overland trails we're going to need to pack the cruiser and pack differently, so I'm looking for some advice. I've done lots of shorter tent trips (2-4 days) in my life, but this will be the longest by far as well as likely the hottest (Moab in July) and most remote.

#1: Does anyone have a good checklist they use for their trips that they'd like to share? I have one I use to stock and prep the trailer, so if not I'll start with that, but I know it's missing stuff as we have a lot of permanent stuff in there (dishes, utensils, wash basins, etc)

#2: What key gear do you feel you can't live without on a trip? What stuff do you routinely bring and never use?

#3: How are you guys packing stuff for trips like this into your trucks? I don't really want to unload everything each time we stop if I don't need it, especially if it's raining. Rubbermaid storage bins? I have one drawer which is full of tools and recovery gear and I have a set of Kaon dividers (and attic).

#4: Anyone have interesting (and affordable) gear or gear hacks they'd like to share? I'm probably not going to drop $1-2k on a rack-mounted awning, for instance, but I may drop $100 on a 12x20 tarp and some tent poles and then bring some rope and bungees in order to create one if I need the shade. I have a $15 battery-powered faucet that fits on top of my water jug (convenient).

Stuff I do have and will bring (not a complete list):
  • tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses
  • folding camp chairs, folding table
  • plates, silverware, cooking utensils, wash basins, etc
  • Poop tent, “seat”, bags, TP, etc
  • 2-burner propane camp stove
  • propane lantern, flashlights, batteries
  • 75 quart Igloo cooler
  • three 5 gallon water jerry cans
  • one 4.5 gallon rotopax with fuel
I'm assuming campfires may be an issue. What do y'all tend to cook with on longer trips like this? I do have a propane hibachi I can pack but we're not going to sit around it in the evening. (Bringing something like this means I also need a larger propane tank than those 1# ones)

Lastly, I've hit a few people up via PM, but if anyone is interested in doing some overlanding and trails from July 2-12 let me know.
hot dogs and a case of beer.

If it’s just the 2 of you, consider also removing the right hand second row seat. It’s not difficult and you gain a lot of useful room.

Consider a small battery fan for the tent.

Make sure you have a really comfortable bed. I’ve found I can tackle a lot more during the day if I’ve slept well.

A battery powered LED camp lantern is cooler, less fragile, and can be used in more places than a propane lantern. I have one with 8 D cell batteries than lasts many many hours.

Sunscreen.

I have stopped carrying recovery and maintenance gear in my drawer (I have a single drawer like you).
I have never needed it so I questioned why I kept it in my most accessible place.
I moved my kitchen gear into the drawer and put the recovery gear into a plastic tub that gets buried away. I can dig it out if I need it.
Of course, now that I have said this, I have guaranteed I will need it on my next trip.

And plus 1 for whoever said a water filter. Water is heavy. And it’s fun to drink water from mountain streams. A gallon per person is good. And maybe 1 gallon extra just in case.

Another thing I haven’t seen listed here is a foldable saw or hatchet. If you can collect firewood, these are pretty useful.

I definitely second the use of a LED lantern and a rechargeable fan. Everyone should carry a Sawyer Life Straw or similar water filter and always have a small med kit and head lamps in the truck at all times. A folding saw is a great idea as well. I too only carry my recovery gear when needed, it's far too heavy and bulky to be in the truck at all times unless you have the proper space for it.

good point on folding saw (I use a Silky) and Med kit., lifesaver. just don't think about that stuff since it always in the truck that I use for this.. I need to pull everything out and probably just buy a 2nd one of my core kit for the 200.

Also... air mattresses, if they are the Home type... don't insulate, are huge and require a blower thing... a cheap camping pad and a cot works 100% better IMHO..

15 gallons of water should be good to go.... Side note, trying to filter enough water for a day can be really time consuming with a hand pump filter type system. It's fine if you walking but if you have the capacity I would just fill up where possible with potable water even if I have to may $2 for it like many NP's and campground (usually the hot shower cost... all the water you want)

Just depends on how you want to do it I guess, no right way...

.... Side note, trying to filter enough water for a day can be really time consuming with a hand pump filter type system.

Agreed on hand pumps being time consuming.
Which is why I just bought this:

Though I won’t be able to test it for a couple of weeks. So who knows if it’s good?
But in theory, the water gets filtered while you do other stuff. In theory.

think more as a backpacker than a car camper.
This is the way.

When we car camp dispersed, we carry mostly the same gear we carry for backpacking trips. Instead of backpacks, we use three Plano trunks. We carry a bigger tent when car camping, but the same ultralight sleeping bags and sleeping pads. I’m really into traveling light. Here are some of my favorite pieces of gear:

Backpacking gear that doubles as car camping gear. All this stuff qualifies as light or ultralight gear:
Stove: Soto Windmaster
Titanium mug & pot system from Mountain Laurel Designs (discontinued; try Lixada instead)
Titanium spork: Sea To Summit
Food-hanging system: Pro Bear Bag System (it weighs 4.7oz, glides over branches, and has a 975lb test strength)
Inflator/LED light/phone charger: FLEXTAILGEAR (weighs 5.64oz)
Car camping coffee rig: Aeropress
LED rope camp lighting (runs off any portable USB battery pack)
Nitecore LED headlamp (USB rechargeable, weighs 0.99oz, lol)
Lightweight chair: Helinox Chair Zero (weighs 1.1lb)

Non-backpacking gear:
Family sized stove: Camp Chef Everest
Lightweight table: ALPS Mountaineering
Fiskars Steel D Handle Digging Shovel

i get a lot of mileage out of plastic milk crates, especially the rectangular shaped slightly bigger ones. they let you load up the 2nd row seat with all sorts of stuff, but you can still find it all since you can categorize what is in each one.

Speaking of saws, this one is pretty handy and folds down so it takes practically no space:

Don't forget to have a shovel (even a small foldable is more useful than any other makeshift item).
Ha! I just learned about that thing in a video today. Decided I needed to have one, but then a rare bit of sense kicked in when I realized I haven't even used my Sven Saw but once in 10 years!

If it’s just the 2 of you, consider also removing the right hand second row seat. It’s not difficult and you gain a lot of useful room.

Consider a small battery fan for the tent.

Make sure you have a really comfortable bed. I’ve found I can tackle a lot more during the day if I’ve slept well.

A battery powered LED camp lantern is cooler, less fragile, and can be used in more places than a propane lantern. I have one with 8 D cell batteries than lasts many many hours.

Sunscreen.
Sadly the Kaon divider uses the headrest as one of its 4 mounting points, so I need the 2nd row in place. I think it will be ok though, 2nd row will likely be for clothes and dry goods and I have a cargo net I can use between the 1st and 2nd row to make sure things are secured from flying about.

I do have a small LED lantern which runs on 3 or 4 AA batteries, which is fine for sitting around the table when you're eating, but the Coleman is way brighter and much better if I actually need to see all around me. I may look for other options though. One thing about camping gear, it's easy to spend waaay too much on quality stuff, which often leads me to make do (see my original post about using a tarp instead of an awning), so if a good LED light is $20-30 I might spring for it but if it's $100 I'll probably live with whatever I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom