Came into a little dough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So guys as some of you know I recently bought an 89 fj62. Runs great except for the tranny. That needs to be replaced. Soo...

I have about 4500-5500 to play with. My question to you guys is..

Should I do an h55 tranny swap?

Or

Look for a 60 or 62 withbless problems and use mine for parts?

Little background on my 62 is tranny will not engage in drive but can shift through the gears fine. She starts after 2 turns everytime. Oil temp gauge is not working and she is pretty dirty front and rear seals leak. 236 k miles and also needs suspension and alternator. I hwve a knuckle rebuild kit ready to go just havent yet. I bought her for 750 bucks so im just trying to justify the costs of this particular cruiser.

Thanks guys

Edit: goal for my LC is expo long range. No serious rock crawling but enough to get me places.

Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

I always like the idea of a known set of problems, as opposed to a new set of problems. $4500 isn't going to get you a much nicer cruiser. There's not a lot of variation in price to quality until you get to the $10k mark. So more than likely you'll spend $4k on the same sets of problems.

That being said, is the rig restoration worthy? If the frame is rotted and smashed and everything needs to be replaced anyways, then buying the better condition cruiser is always the better move.

So if it is restoration worthy I'd do the Tranny Swap especially if you have the space and tools to work on the cruiser. Just remember you'll need a bunch of little bits to do the swap. The good news is you'll have a brand new transmission, clutch, slave, master and lines! So that's something to cheer about!

I would spend the money on the H55 and whatever other fix up you can afford, but continue to tell people you got the truck for $750 :D

Some people charge $5000 for a pretty shabby cruiser. I would keep what you've got assuming it's not too rusty.

Cal you are the man! Thanks so much for your advice. Frame has zero rust and the pass rocker is pitted but thats no biggie. Other than some surface, rust is not really an issue.

Im gonna give george a try and go fron there. I really like the idea of having the 5 speed and other than a few small issues the rig is in good shape.

As far as im concerned I love my 750 dollar gem! Although im about to drop north of 3k in the tranny! Lol

Thanks guys

Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Beno has new H55s for $2089. id check there before you spend 3k.
good luck with the build

Yep spend the money on going towards a full restore, unfortunately you going to need more money :) you'll appreciate your truck more and we'll appreciate the pics and the progress

H55f and don't look back

if you want to go cheap repair/or replace the auto and upgrade the rest of the truck. But if it was me I would start the h55 process this afternoon. If you have any kind of relationship with your local Toyota dealer talk to them about the price of the tranny, although I buy most of my stuff from Beno, Sam, our CDan shipping can kill a good internet deal and that tranny is pretty stout. Research the parts you'll need (clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, steel lines, neutral safety switch, etc) and start collecting them used from someone parting out an old rig.

From what I have read the 62 auto to manual conversion is pretty painless. Good luck.

I was in your EXACT situation a few months ago.

The original FJ60 sits and will either be used as a donor vehicle for my current FJ60 b/c parts are becoming scarce OR I'll eventually sell her to someone who needs her for parts.

The first thing I ordered - before my new FJ60 even hit my driveway - was a new H55F (and a lot of other goodies).

I drove her for the first time yesterday - absolutely worth every single penny to do the tranny swap. Reading about the transformation vs. experiencing it. . .day and night difference.

Beno and Callahan are both incredible, as well as SOR and CruiserParts. The FJ community, overall, is incredible. . .utilize the wealth of information and resources b/c you'll never find another community like it/ours.

Woot woot.

Get the H55. The cloud is all the swap out stuff with the clutch but the silver lining is that you already have the 4.11 diffs. Thus, you will be looking for taller tires to make everything more compatible!

Or....

You could buy this one:

http://www.cruiserparts.net/parts/fj60.html

Transmission and Xfer with only 71K for $2400. I have bought parts from them and they are easy to deal with and quite knowledgable.

You would have $2600 leftover. That would cover the cost of an OME lift AND alternator and still have cash leftover for the axle rebuild parts.

I love the H55F, but this solution might get your cruiser in better overall condition...

The A440 is a good tranny if you take care of it. Lots out there with big miles.....

Good luck!

Michael

Another option is a car lift if you have room

Godwin is is selling his A440 for $250 in good condition. That's about the price you would find them for because they never die so nobody wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using magic

While h55f's are cool and desirable and all that...I'm of the mindset that one would be best served by maximizing the potential of that amount of money equally, across the truck to do as much as possible to reach "completely baselined" with the addition of a few less expensive upgrades. The times one comes across the ability to do that many things in one fell swoop don't pop up all the time. A good, used or rebuilt transmission has a much smaller opportunity cost against your budget.

Awesome advice and alot to think about. I understand getting my rig to a baseline and im in no hurry to get her there right now. Im about yo switch jobs and have the potential to make some great money. Although I won't have time to spend it lol.

I have lots to do and a lot of plans fir my expensive addiction. The best advice I have gotten yet was to attack in bites. I will be posting on this thread as I go and honestly appreciate all the advice given thus far.

Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

I still think a car lift is one of the best things you can buy, only 1500-2000

Unfortunately I do not have the space for a lift but I will definitely own one some day. Thanks for the input cruisermatt and im also following your thread as well.

On another note I began my knuckle rebuild this evening and have the passenger side tore apart. Not nearly as bad as I thought!

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom