1987 FJ60 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I bought one, cheap, since the motor was shot. The connecting rod on #6 broke, and rubbed the crank.

Sitting in a garage since 2005. Some rust, drivers side front fender has a hole, but otherwise, just spots. interior is great, no cracks in the dash, couple of small tears in the side of the front seats.

I pulled the engine this weekend. Sitting on my garage floor right now. That is the first step in the build. A 350 chevy, old school, HEI distributer, mech fuel pump, alternator and Saginaw PS pump and not much else, is going in there. Probably hook up the a/c once it's running. It will be my Home Depot, Camping, Beach, and general "I don't want to get my regular car dirty" vehicle.

I ordered OME springs and lift set up, a Ranger torque splitter, some cool rims cause I liked em, axle rebuild kit and about a million dollars in other little stuff so far.

Should be fun, if it's running by labor day I will be thrilled. Just messing with it on weekends and after work when I can.

garage.jpg

driveway.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun! Keep us posted on everything and good luck! BTW what kind of rims did you get and what tire size will you be running?

Slow going - I drained and refilled the rear diff, it came out nice caramel colored. Removed to inspection cover and found it looking like it should. Wire wheeled the cover and painted it. Replaced all the nuts and washers, never seized the studs, new cork gasket and magnetic drain plugs from Kurt at Cruiser outfitters, ( thanks for correcting my gasket part number!)

I took some Krylon in flat black and fine sandpaper to the grill and headlight trim. Replaced the headlight bulbs with Sylvanias so it will be bright when I do finally drive. New M4 stainless hardware there those little Phillips heads were shot.

I cut the chain for the spare off,dropped the cross member, wire wheeled it, painted and replaced with new stainless hardware.

I yanked all the shocks off, front stabilizer bar and removed all the leftover emissions stuff on the drivers fender.

Steering stabilizer is being a PITA, I will go get a pickle fork and butane refill for my little torch. I soaked everything with liquid wrench, so it should be less of a battle to install my OME springs when I am off over July 4th week. Fun! Pics and wheel link tomorrow I can't get them to post from my phone.

John

Unique, OEM Toyota part

I discovered a unique, one of a kind, Toyota security item on my FJ60.

Please notice this maximum security, spare tire holder. To the casual observer, it is a stock spare tire mount, however, this unique item is actually ONE SOLID part. Nothing on it will move, ever, keeping the spare tire securely in place, against the roughest trail bumps or thieves.

I was lucky enough to find a key for this device, painted emergency red with black, custom handles. The key worked perfectly, removing the spare tire from it's holder in seconds. I am sure NO ONE has ever seen such an option from Toyota, and I will be posting it for sale in the classifieds, starting bid $10,000 USD. The Key can be included for an additional $5,000, will not separate.

:grinpimp:

DSCF1206.jpg

Welcome to the sickness brother! Nice "key!" It looks kinda like one of those skeleton keys that open several locks. Maybe give it a try on your neighbors place. You never know what it will "fit!"

:beers:

TFJM

Slow progress

I got out there tonight and beat the steering stabilizer off, with my brandy new pickle fork. I spent an hour Sunday tearing the garage apart looking for my old one. Then I went to put this one where I would KNOW exactly where to find it, and found the old one. Sigh. The gray hairs strike again.

I also broke the front spring mount nuts loose, after a good soaking with Liquid Wrench. I figured that would be a chore, and the truck isn't moving, so they can come off, and I shot more liquid wrench on the bolts. Maybe I will jack the truck up Saturday, and they will jump right out?

I removed the 8mm bolts that lock the fixed end of the spring in place, and only one broke. There was a short out break of Torret's, but nothing too terrible, no flying tools or injuries. Looks like an EZ out and drill for me tomorrow.

Then the rain started again, and I gave up for the night.

My goal is to post "OME springs and shocks installed" on Saturday night. Cross your fingers!

Worked too much today, and got home without motivation, but I didn't want to do nothing. Got out there and drilled out my broken bolt on the rear spring holder. Took 5 minutes with my cordless drill. But, then I was dirty out there, it wasn't raining, and I had to do SOMETHING....

So I got out the Orange degreaser spray and scrubbed the engine compartment. Came out nice, I think.

How come I don't get this happy after cleaning the bathroom?

I think that blue plug on the driver's side fender is for the headlight washer pump - seems like a pretty robust wire gauge choice! Does it double as a winch power supply?!? I think I am clipping all the other plugs and taping over them. I will not be putting any smog stuff back on ever!

My new calipers, rotors, and brake hoses came today, too. Good day! The hoses were a surprise - has NAPA ever heard of tracking information? Geez Louise!

DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

I got out there tonight and beat the steering stabilizer off, with my brandy new pickle fork. I spent an hour Sunday tearing the garage apart looking for my old one. Then I went to put this one where I would KNOW exactly where to find it, and found the old one. Sigh. The gray hairs strike again.

I've been doing that a lot lately too. Seems like the best way to find something I lost is to buy a replacement. I don't usually remember where I leave things, just what is around it when I put it down. If any of that stuff moves I'm s*** out of luck!

How hot are you planning on going with the 350? Pretty much stock, or souped up a bit?

Short update

I ran right outside after work tonight, with the idea in my head that I would install one front spring from the OME kit. Almost made it, the sun set too soon on me.

I used up most of the day light getting the old spring out. The fixed pin in the rear was very difficult. I ended up melting the busing with the torch, and then using a pickle fork to yank it out. The front shackle and the u bolt nuts came out with little difficulty.

Right now, I have the spring fastened to the fixed pin and front shackle, and I am wrestling the axle to get the locating pin on the spring to sit in the hole in the axle. I was tired, I think it will go better tomorrow, when I am fresh and it's light out. Then onto the other side. I will mount the new shocks, steering stabilizer and sway bar links too. Then the rear springs.

@Lated - I am thinking 300 hp at the most. I have built 350's up to 400 hp, dyno's at the wheels, and I really don't see the need for that here. My favorite is using some 1.94 heads, a 325 hp 327 cam, Wiend 8004 intake, and a 650 vac secondary carb. I put that in a truck I had, that thing just ran so good, idled at 650, solid as a rock, always pulled hard, and plenty of vacuum for the power brakes. I will see what I find out there built already, I poked a couple of friends down here, maybe something is sitting in a corner in a garage that needs a home.

No pics tonight, it was dark, and I am wiped. Early morning at work tomorrow, so that is it for me. Good day, though. :wrench:

Progress!

I had a good night tonight. I got after it right after work again, and things go much better when you have daylight and can see what you are doing.

Drivers side spring found it's way into the pin in the axle in 10 minutes. I tightened down the u bolts, shackle and fixed pin, and yanked out the jack stand and moved to the passenger side.

I hit the fixed pin first, got it with the torch right away, it wasn't as bad as the other one. The u bolts were much worse though. I broke a 1/4 extension and had to fight each nut all the way to the end of the bolt with a 1/2 drive. The shackle under the bumper jumped out, in fear, I think.

The spring also went in much easier, and I was done with that pretty quickly. Broke a zirc off on the shackle, I will grab a new one tomorrow. I got out the cut off wheel and took off the extra 4 feet of U bolt. Ok, maybe two inches, but still, good grief! No wonder they are so proud of them, they sell a pound of extra steel with each set.

That is about when I ran out of daylight. When the sun comes up, I will hang my new shocks and steering stabilizer, and the sway bar links. Plans to work on it all day tomorrow changed, my girlfriend wants me to go to the gun show to help her pick out a .45, so I will meet up with her around lunchtime instead. The rear springs will wait until nest week.

Some pictures for entertainment. The front end is pointing at the sky, no engine to hold it down. The old springs didn't look too bad at all, only 135K on them. I will hang onto them for a little bit, in case someone wants something for a mud buggy project or something like that.

DSCF1295.jpg

DSCF1293.jpg

DSCF1290.jpg

More slow going - rains only in the afternoon, but holy cr@p is it hot!

I hit a few bumps yesterday.

I installed my new front shocks ( it was early, I had to do something quiet). I have something called an hourglass washer made of rubber, that is still on the workbench. No clue there

My new Pro Comp steering stabilizer hardware is too large in diameter for the mounting holes. Phone call to Summit when I dig up the receipt. I threw the old stuff out already, of course.

I got the passenger side rear spring off. Tough one, too many fuel lines near the fixed mount to go nuts with the torch. I think the 95 degree outside temps helped that. The OME spring is hanging by the fixed pin and a ratchet strap. The pin that goes into the axle is too far forward, it's aligned with the forward u bolt leg right now. I will fight that some more tonight.

My Ranger torque splitter finally arrived from Advanced. Wrong locating diameter to the bell housing. I think I will just chase a 5.125 dia housing down and stick this one on e bay. Larger dia comes with fitting a 11 inch clutch.

No pics, I had to clean up fast and run out with my lady friend. Gotta give her good attention too!

Any advice on the hourglass washer and a source for stock steering stabilizer hardware is appreciated!

Last edited:
nice pics! this is the twin to my 87-fj60 (color,interior,etc). it looks to be in very good shape and a great beginning for your project. keep us informed once you have the powerplant installed. (older v8?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom