C -Channels not looking good (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
While I was under my 62 on Sunday draining my tank to mess with the fuel levels, I saw my C channels are looking really rough. This side is the worst of the two, but the right hand side isn't much better.

C Channel.jpg

If the consensus is that these need to be done, I'll get a set and with any luck I can pull off the extended range fuel tank next spring (wanted to this spring but couldn't make it happen financially) and take care of the C channels and tank swap at the same time, hopefully making my life a little easier. Regardless, I am NOT looking forward to grinding those rivets out....

Im in the same boat, my c-channels are looking no bueno. I bought the channel kit from @TRAIL TAILOR already but putting off the grind. Literally
I will pull the trigger soon and will have the benefit of a lift hopefully 🤞. But the triple degree heat isn’t helping either

Yeah it's 102º here today so this would definitely be a mid to late springtime project and I'll probably just say screw it and buy an air hammer to rip away the rivets. The neighbors can be mad for a couple hours 😂

I'll likely get his C channel kit and take both those and my rear crossmember to a place near me to get hot dip galvanized.

They look better then mine did before I decided to box them in so I could ignore them forever

They look better then mine did before I decided to box them in so I could ignore them forever
interesting...did you remove the old ones or just treat the s**t out of them and then Cask of Amontillado them in?

interesting...did you remove the old ones or just treat the s**t out of them and then Cask of Amontillado them in?

Just left them in there.

Cask of Amontillado :lol: Nice reference.

Any clearance issues when boxing? What size plate? I was thinking of going this route as well.

I used 3/16". My only reason to box the frame back there was so I could put my frame-side shackle bushing thru the frame. Should be some pics in my build thread. look around April/may 2018

my c-channels are similar to yours, maybe a little better....this job is on my 'to do list' - it's unavoidable haha!

Last edited:
Cut an x in the rivet head with a disc, chisel off the four pieces of the river head then use a steel drift and sledge to punch them out through . Just be careful when they let go they can shoot.

Or be boring and use an air chisel

It’s not as hard as some people make it seem

Cut an x in the rivet head with a disc, chisel off the four pieces of the river head then use a steel drift and sledge to punch them out through . Just be careful when they let go they can shoot.

Or be boring and use an air chisel

It’s not as hard as some people make it seem
I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new air hammer, so this project will cover that 😂

Even though I can always justify tool purchases.. sometimes it’s fun to just do some shade tree type sh*t
Can't deny that. Especially in nice weather with some DIO blasting on my stereo 🤘

Mine are similar, they are on my very very long To-do list. The C-channel, plus a bunch of other items are what pushed me over the edge to remove the body. The amount of time it'll take to remove the body will probably save me 2x when I'm doing the C-Channels, suspension, body mounts, brake and fuel lines etc.

An air chisel is by far the easiest and cleanest way to remove the rivets. Its worth buying to tool for the job. Turns it into only a hour or two job and is much cleaner. Plus it won't grind away part of the frame you're trying to keep. there are still welds to grind at the front and on the rear corners.

An air chisel is by far the easiest and cleanest way to remove the rivets. Its worth buying to tool for the job. Turns it into only a hour or two job and is much cleaner. Plus it won't grind away part of the frame you're trying to keep. there are still welds to grind at the front and on the rear corners.
I figure since I need to remove my front bumper brackets too, it'll be worth investing in a good long barrel air hammer. Would be great to be able to tackle this immediately after the coming winter, given there are other priorities I need to accomplish BEFORE the weather turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom