Builds Builds: Bad Memory 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling this thread bad memory not as a nod to the gas mileage I got towing this thing home but more so as a tribute to to my terrible ability to remember what I have done. So. I will take a lot of pictures and post them there so I can look back and remember when I did something.

Plus I will have the advantage of the of reading the lively discourse over and over again.

Couple of updates that have come with it:
disc brakes and power steering from a mini truck
a newer model 2F
what I am told is a Jim C carb

you can see the bikini top, which is what I will run most of the time, as it will not be outside in the Ohio winters. It also has a full soft top. Thrown into the package were two full doors and all the pieces to make a hard top, other than the roof itself.

But we must start somewhere so here is my 40 in its new home with a couple of its eager helpers

1656018728730.png

Might try to sort out all these wires this weekend. The yellow ones lead to a switch under the glovebox that from what I can tell does nothing. There is also an aftermarket alarm installed that I think will be going.
C4AF8A72-B92B-4CB8-9DD5-490BE1C36C98.jpeg

Looks like a nice 40. What part of Ohio?

New front shocks today. When I got the old ones off I found they didn’t even expand after being compressed. I knew they were bad but wow. Rear ones will go in tomorrow.
40DC332B-0CB5-46FC-92E0-82DD4282B98E.jpeg

I just found out on my 1983 there a recall n gthe seat belts and also fuel tank I going to call dealer tomorrow to find out if still going.
I found it on some site which gives you all the info on your rig and recalls but darn I cannot recall the site if you want it let me know even here & I see if I can find it for you
The recall part was free the other info saying all the stuff your truck came with is only 9.99 it gets cheaper once you go to leave as thing it started at 14.95 but I pretty well know my 83.I add 78 and newer has the best strongest CV joints in front and not sure I pretty sure most is the same from 78 & up but I could be totally wrong too just saying I could be wrong but everything looks sweet bud post more pictures of your toy looks was red and painted blue I had every color over the years.
Drove cruisers from 1974 until I got my 1983 and sadly that was when you could no longer buy in Canada or USA. Now we drive FJCruisers which ride a bit nicer Lol funny how we age the shorter wheel base does hurt a bit more but drove hundred of thousand miles on these FJ and long trips with 3 kids in the back but got a seat I think from a Suzuki or Jeeps so all the kids had seat belts.
I recall our tire carrier coming off was rusted out 74 but a few bits of hay wire and rubber straps we were great again so drove from Vancouver USA to Alberta Canada. The longest was to the baja mexico but had a small block so could cruiser at 80mph all day long.I back to toyota 2F but love the BJ most for the bush

Finished up the rear shocks this morning and the ride is night and day. I knew they needed replacing but didn’t know they were completely shot.

42FF1803-9AA8-4A7B-A1CE-2E84A076F558.jpeg

Added some mirrors so I can sort of see what’s going on behind me.
044E741C-7B4C-4186-872A-1CE0B4587696.jpeg

And didn’t snap a photo but removed a lot of useless wiring. There was an old alarm system plus random wiring everywhere

I was attempting to change out the thermostat but one of the bolts seized up. Tried using an extractor but no luck. The upper housing looks fine but for the price I went with the kits from city racer. Added in some new hoses and clamps.
708EFB40-952C-4025-BAD2-BC2F381DD21A.jpeg

The alignment bindings/clamps on you rear springs look like they are the "pinch bind" style, very poo poo, try to open them up a bit. Pinch binding locks all the leafs together, won't let the leafs slide on each other, so you get a much stiffer ride, less actual spring action.

The alignment bindings/clamps on you rear springs look like they are the "pinch bind" style, very poo poo, try to open them up a bit. Pinch binding locks all the leafs together, won't let the leafs slide on each other, so you get a much stiffer ride, less actual spring action.
Or is it time for new ones? I was hoping to wait till next spring since the steering box is leaking onto the front drivers leaf and I wanted to pull it this winter.

If you are still driving the rig, I'd just take a very large screw driver and big hammer and open up the pinch a bit- - -fast easy deal.

Well what started out as a thermostat swap ended up as replacing some of the hoses, the upper and lower housing units, some new hardware, and refinishing the alternator bracket.
Added in a new temp sending unit but still not working. Pulled the gauge cluster and performed all the checks and it’s good. Thinking I need to try the older style unit in this engine.
Other than that just removed a ton of grease and the added on steering dampener
04BCF80D-34E6-4DFE-9687-F893414A92DA.jpeg

EEEC76A8-978A-434A-9DCE-04C0CD3F38B4.jpeg

24066B6B-353A-41A5-8F31-BD35F9C18E84.jpeg

I actually prefer the added-on steering damper to the original. Your original is probably not doing anything at this point, and if it works at all, it puts a lot of stress on the center arm. Connecting a fresh damper at the lower position and deleting the original at the upper position is probably the best solution. If you're a purist, replace the original, but check that center arm real close for slop. It's likely that it could use a rebuild.

Forgot to write this one up. I like to do group bicycle rides on Wednesday nights. So a couple of weeks ago I figure it would be great to take the ole 40 up to the ride with my bike in the back... going to have to get one of those bolt on receivers at some point... anyways, get up there fine, do my 30 or so miles, then go back to the truck... turns over super slowly and eventually stops. I like to plan ahead so I carry one of those smaller jump packs in the glove box. Gave that a show and several minutes later now luck. By this point its about 8:40 and autozone closes at 9. Hop on my bike, get there at about 8:55, buy the battery they recommend and boom good to go! Oh wait I rode a bike and batteries are kinda heavy. Called an uber, got back to the truck, swapped out the battery and good to go. Well its always nice to have a new battery and a good story.
battery.jpg

Well that’s impressive and good timing! Haha
I’m out on the eastside in Mentor-
Be nice to get a greater Cleveland group together one day-

Well that’s impressive and good timing! Haha
I’m out on the eastside in Mentor-
Be nice to get a greater Cleveland group together one day-
For sure! I was mentioning that to @Jdc1 as well.

I have been trying to get all the gauges up and running. I think there is a problem with the temperature gauge in the cluster. Everything is hooked up with the correct year sensor but it never moves. I hooked up the oil pressure gauge wire to the temperature sending unit and the oil pressure gauge moves... Now to the oil pressure sending unit. I know it should be on the oil filter union... but its not. So the other positions is by the block drain. Not there either. Now remember my engine is a later model one but here is what I figure.
That wire for the oil pressure just makes it to the block. So I am thinking the original engine had it there. The PO might have pieced together this engine and used a oil filter junction that didn't have it.
Found someone on FB that is selling a bunch of 2F parts so hopefully he has one and I will just replace the junction and run a longer wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom