Building Overland Rig with a Clean '93 FZJ80 - Needs Complete Engine Rebuild - Worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am in the market for a new DD/overland vehicle and I am considering purchasing my parent's 1993 FZJ80 off of them for $3k. Its got the usual issues: bad seat gears, torn leather, but the body is clean and it's 100% rust free top and bottom. Unfortunately, it burns oil like nobody's business and none of the obvious fixes have done the trick. If I plan on having to rebuild the engine (top and bottom) would that be a huge financial mistake? I would need all of it to be done by a shop as I just don't have the time/space to take on that sort of a project at the moment. I have done a bit of research and it seems like this could run between $8-12k. It's a ton of money to spend on a ~30yo vehicle, but it seems like if the outcome is a clean FZJ80 thats likely to go another 2-300K miles, then a $16-21K total investment (includes engine rebuild, bumpers, lift, tires, wheels, rack, sleeping platform) is actually a decent value for a reliable, totally built overland rig. Based on prices here, I think I might even be able to get my money back if I go through all of this and decide I need something newer. Other options I am considering are: 2nd gen tacoma or 5th gen 4runner. Building either of those vehicles would push my budget closer to $25k for the builds I am considering. The gas mileage and amenities of the newer rigs would be nice, but they aren't 80s...

What do you guys think? Would you rebuild the 80? Is it a decent financial decision? Is my budget reasonable?

Thanks!

A few of thoughts and questions...

Most people here will tell you that if an 80 has a rust-free and aligned frame, it's worth the expense to restore it. Personally, the 80 will always have a special place in my heart as prior to it, I didn't even change my own oil. This vehicle single-handedly made me a weekend mechanic, and like many, we have an emotional bond to our vehicles that often times trump reason.

I read somewhere that Toyota considers burning 1 quart per 1K miles normal for the 1FZ-FE. If you burn less, more power to you. What have you done thus far to try to curb its oil use?

Personally, I love the 80, gas mileage aside. I think it is worth the engine rebuild if the bones are solid. The question is how much do YOU love the 80? If your heart is with the Taco or 4Runner, then get one of those instead. You have to go where your heart is.

You should never think you will get the money back you put into it, it will never happen, period!

Not much engine info here. Verify engine condition and EXACT cause of oil loss. They are known for lots of leaks and valve guide seals leaking which could be repaired when doing a Head Gasket. Mileage?? etc

To echo some of what was said above: how many miles are on it, what's been done to address oil consumption and how much oil is it using? Fixing oil leaks, replacing valve stem seals and addressing any intake/pcv/similar sources of oil consumption may address any oil use issues unless there is an unusual problem with the engine. Except for rare failures the HG or a bearing seems to go on these before the rings get to the point where you are burning lots of oil due to bypass. If it runs well otherwise I'd definitely take advantage of the knowledge on this forum to diagnose and address oil consumption before I jumped into a full rebuild and I wouldn't be surprised if a full rebuild is not needed unless there are other issues not known or mentioned.

If the engine really does need a full rebuild I think $3k may be too much to pay for it. Would need lots more information and photos to really say so I won't speculate more on that topic.

All in all I say buy it, build it and take lots of pictures for those of us in the peanut gallery :)

Last edited:
No

How many miles are on the engine? Did your parents not maintain it? My 93 has 301k mi and runs like new using very little oil. Many are running these engines well beyond 400k.

Maybe do a leak Down test to determine if the rings are tight and also determine actual oil pressure with a test gauge. If those tests go well, a head rebuild might be all you need.

Picking up a good used engine is another option.

Last edited:
If you really want an 80, and are prepared to spend the time and money on it, go for it. If you aren't hard set on an 80, maybe a newer option is better. Could buy and mod out a nice GX 470 for that. 4 doors, V8. Or an FJ if you want some more trail prowess.

Building overland rigs is never a good financial decision. But we have to make some bad decisions in the interest of fun.

The gas mileage and amenities of the newer rigs would be nice, but they aren't 80s...

This summarizes it for me. If you don't need the combination of:

- seating 7
- 35 inch tires with no trimming
- Solid Front Axle with coil sprung suspension
- usable torque almost at idle

You'll probably be happy with a newer 4 runner or tacoma.

I like old school mechanical reliability. I accept that these older rigs need maintenance to get them back into proper running shape... and I enjoy crawling past new 4 runners and tacomas on the trail, while carrying my family and dog. No other vehicle works for me like an 80.

FJ40, FJ55, FJ60, etc. = old school
FZJ80 - not so much

Doesn't mean that they are not reliable. They are. Just not old school. And this comes from someone old.

I consider my fully mechanical, 3 wire engine old school. But I get what you are saying.

I own a 5th gen 4Runner and a 80, I have also owned 40 and 60 series. I thought the 60 series was a great rig. My 80 series beats it hands down. My 4Runner is also very capable in stock form and I really like it also. But it does not have the soul and feel that the 80 has!
That being said, you would be money in the bank/have a more reliable rig if you start with a 5th gen 4Runner vs the high mileage 80 you are considering.
I do ALL my own work, I just bought my 80 last March with the plans for an overland/exploration machine. I have about $2500 in parts so far just for PM and there is still more to go. It has 285000 miles and a very healthy engine. I also have several hundred hours of labour into it also.
If you are not going to do the PM work and pay someone else to do it then the 4Runner is a superior financial decision!

My '95 burned oil to the tune of 1qt every 800 miles. Never seemed the worse for wear. The valve stem seals were shot, telltale sign was a puff of blue smoke on startup, more so when the truck had sat for awhile. That truck had 295k on it before rust finished it off.

My "new" '93 has 263k on it, doesn't burn a drop, but leaks like the Exxon Valdez. I find leaking oil far more annoying that burning it.

As an anecdote, I had a BMW M Roadster many moons ago. It burned a quart every 1200 miles. Ran like a raped ape, never had an issue with it in the 75k miles I put on it. Some engines just burn oil at a higher rate than others, and a quart every 1k or so will never do an engine no harm.

How much oil exactly? Mine burns a lot but runs good, I just keep adding.
Will fix eventually but for now it doesn't hurt anything really

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new DD/overland vehicle and I am considering purchasing my parent's 1993 FZJ80 off of them for $3k. Its got the usual issues: bad seat gears, torn leather, but the body is clean and it's 100% rust free top and bottom. Unfortunately, it burns oil like nobody's business and none of the obvious fixes have done the trick. If I plan on having to rebuild the engine (top and bottom) would that be a huge financial mistake? I would need all of it to be done by a shop as I just don't have the time/space to take on that sort of a project at the moment. I have done a bit of research and it seems like this could run between $8-12k. It's a ton of money to spend on a ~30yo vehicle, but it seems like if the outcome is a clean FZJ80 thats likely to go another 2-300K miles, then a $16-21K total investment (includes engine rebuild, bumpers, lift, tires, wheels, rack, sleeping platform) is actually a decent value for a reliable, totally built overland rig. Based on prices here, I think I might even be able to get my money back if I go through all of this and decide I need something newer. Other options I am considering are: 2nd gen tacoma or 5th gen 4runner. Building either of those vehicles would push my budget closer to $25k for the builds I am considering. The gas mileage and amenities of the newer rigs would be nice, but they aren't 80s...

What do you guys think? Would you rebuild the 80? Is it a decent financial decision? Is my budget reasonable?

Thanks!
If you're not going to do your own work and it has a "bad engine", why not buy one that is already complete? They can be had here fairly regularly, and you should be able to get it for much less than you can build it since you are not doing your own wrenching.

Then, have your folks put the other one up here on the classifieds, so the rest of us get a crack at it.

I own a 5th gen 4Runner and a 80, I have also owned 40 and 60 series. I thought the 60 series was a great rig. My 80 series beats it hands down. My 4Runner is also very capable in stock form and I really like it also. But it does not have the soul and feel that the 80 has!
That being said, you would be money in the bank/have a more reliable rig if you start with a 5th gen 4Runner vs the high mileage 80 you are considering.
I do ALL my own work, I just bought my 80 last March with the plans for an overland/exploration machine. I have about $2500 in parts so far just for PM and there is still more to go. It has 285000 miles and a very healthy engine. I also have several hundred hours of labour into it also.
If you are not going to do the PM work and pay someone else to do it then the 4Runner is a superior financial decision!

This.

Coming from another guy who owns both. I can say that the 4runner is extremely capable, would likely be cheaper/easier to own, and is really imo, better suited to "overlanding" duties.

As muc as I love mine, I would never recommend a 25 year old offroad vehicle to anyone who dosen't do their own work unless you have very deep pockets.

I've said it before but the only thing wrong with the 5th gen 4runner is its not a fzj80.

Bad financial decision? Probably. But owning a vehicle is a strait up waste of money, yet we all do it. Owning an off-road/project vehicle is a colossal waste of money, yet we all do it.

I would echo some of the other comments. We need more info on why you think it needs a rebuild. Odds are good it's nothing quite that drastic.

4Runners are good trucks that require a lot less maintenance. Good option if you don't mind feeling like a sheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom