Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya I'm still trying to get used to the look, I think it would have looked better with 1.50" tube but it's a done deal and I think it well do the job it's intended for :cool:
When I first did mine I thought that it just made the ass end look even fatter and it stole away the cool factor of big tires sticking out past the body but I’ve grown used to the look. My appreciation for the protection and knowledge that’s it’s there when I’m in close quarters played a big part in learning to be ok with that. Seeing the heavy gouges from rock walls and boulders that is now permanently etched in my rear quarter armor tells me it was worth the time and effort.

I'll buy you a case of beer next time you pop a taillight out :hillbilly:

When I first did mine I thought that it just made the ass end look even fatter and it stole away the cool factor of big tires sticking out past the body but I’ve grown used to the look. My appreciation for the protection and knowledge that’s it’s there when I’m in close quarters played a big part in learning to be ok with that. Seeing the heavy gouges from rock walls and boulders that is now permanently etched in my rear quarter armor tells me it was worth the time and effort.
This pretty much echoes what @mustcamp (Kenn) said last nite in a conversation we had.
I’m sure that I’m just not used to it yet.

I wish I could do compound bends like that. I haven't used my bender enough to get good at it. I don't know what you have to get used to. It tied in perfectly with your bumper and is giving the protection you were looking for.

I wish I could do compound bends like that. I haven't used my bender enough to get good at it. I don't know what you have to get used to. It tied in perfectly with your bumper and is giving the protection you were looking for.
I have the same bender you have with the same swag air over hydraulic.
MC1KL3i62ER2ZGigiTKAcvhU-3aPgFoWGZnqWlJ3oQkRsvmX34yce2N9BvyjKbmG5UnB1YQWuR0xxS9iS-BlQAKVSLnLDZKc_wt8MbM7LvMGtbgndnbfFj7mq9j68hcfQ8fpfKEBLuA68MZ4CBCOaAaUiKMMqdorYkSYLZoyRw0lqAnQMHYtyK5vIcmU3YLT47g0g3BOsLUwC-ASPVGUdizRSqiehCaiS2N5emcJ1dLV2TzNAmULVJqsNvmsqgl2o7PkWubLCGj9CpICds3ZIGscdkbSwZp65t9JSx91jjgkblN6qmTmXCsCXmiQBFoKIINdEz4oTjLsi4M-X4UlY-Z942xO3BBgX5Bravq6ek_6Mdyl3wB1NwkroxDzin1ocBPFIOrVwhWw449efha7F2YEq443ZWSqa6rvceKKS28ti24oCujASBEXj-N_RMCd_g64RV-Y2x0zFanamc-clwn1ohEjvRohMc_0UgGrENRYoxQ0_6J_fEPgSOYef31racJamBM5tWrOF6idRZpEgO2iISXVOy9iHadJGn1kLXSaKQUOymv7wyaIdPtJAAUJkX6rxnti-tegavcWissYXoa44L15C8nBf6qsIoHIxp4jxVFH4Mn93477JF_aPb9uNZmek7yg0Nsb2vDxD1PWQId_vnaJw6CIwU6Ys5lEZXLJdvnKR933jFe5UmZ9736gG5GtDbTP_HLUKtLohxmDsebU115GmCBI6FE3jVe0rhlxFulOBY9aKLjwd36mBjcACt1XzuFM36tbPYhKgL4URzi-M1AXk7idJdkV71vafrHrIEKkH_tB-iz_U9y1boF4dwQSz6ZrRjUKafsNSabwQWXgIkfNesPu3gBwg5kJudOBX_JC09ZFlGrdj9Zlirp6aeC260nxOXQK8o7q7SlWi7V7SZj2kim52MCycNUSsyqct6Wj4A=w1252-h939-s-no

I don't have very much time in using it, I just watched a few Youtube videos 😆 and went at it. The biggest thing is making a reference bend on a piece of tube that has inches marked out on it that way you know how much tube it will take to make a bend and always reference the start of you bend.
For the compound bends I put inch marks all the down the tube, I used the clamp as a reference and mark both sides pulling the piece out several time to check the angle.
As you know theirs spring back ( to get 60 degrees I had to go the 65 on the gauge)I marked the start of every bend on the tube and marked the degrees I had to go to to get the desired bend. A lot of pull it out check put it back in bend some more :cool:
Then to make the opposite side you just have to think up side down and backwards 🤨

The biggest mistake I make is figuring the start of the bend on the wrong side of the bend. I'm getting better. Marking up the tube with more reference marks is a good idea.

For repeat non-standard bends. Or when doing a 22.5 45 or 90 I measure the stroke of my ram cylinder. I write it down on a cheat sheet for future bends Instead of relying on a degree measuring indicator.

Looks great broski! It won’t look so bulky when it gets a coat of paint! Eventually I need to do something like this too. I’m sick of replacing tail lights too! 😂

I pulled it off and welded like a mad man this after noon, and added the gussets to the frame braces.
iadkQInkHsgNVwT-r1fbKBHtOO1nHHdDV24R0DaAA8hDAg7miW_M7ojWWoz3LToaPgRJ9KLY2PscdWewPc8p98TaZCm_onu9K1tZ5a2rZK21AltH2u3Ek-_6182kT6hw7wKbQtc8V8XndPkYBKb-53If5qfQ9Fr1KxgdQ33mOjXW92-YDTbPl2KU_QBneY6W7Lbm2v2z832v5XlAfXEj08RF85LHdxu6J5KJ9BU4fft3qqtFIM6novMdE0Zw5KgXFDdb5dlObmaaxtF9WVOBGD3w5lYWxQIqOcrOzx9IfYIElWXXPXM4q1siiCAUE8BTXBTUzk_zyozGKxnRSQE3QvkdHNZHrfmGWS9bM3u8Zv1sxR9e6MUt8bkiEFVQEEAoTHuiWPGF6cUF3DSxk03waYdiMPuHUoD9-9oRc-kGlsfwQtHylsQXOZO6Ip-z9izvdbvFfwvWkpz6OSZ_g64NjMU2CWHcIYbA84zPxgDvfRSdUpBLumn3md0S4R7Wqi110Yklyl3Xby27WXMd0dwub8D67EoHgMd_WzIPjdigK0YrjekDULNowoRgcok487WOwy2O10ke7FJKF1JW1qe3G1k_2QW7ZgP0jYzVtALow2cj3hUiLuBLVzfhgsxyUOZd4757WQ5wGNPYmkE6GBAyqy5CFy7rFPdCn4fKeILpgLLx5ZzIfvyy7Chu7BL3LzDA5Czr9ygUQ02ql_CkPmCtdea_m8CoIqbGq-SWeSpgDIkWxUGOx2FOFe40qX2kMyaexgBT9vzBPpgLhqhojl_7YKGXVLhYpI3zzlUu3penqD2w4q0OwzIPMrPz_gm3PXViaXKlrsg1eun376f0fNveagN7IpzAAcvLxG3yJgJZjaJi83Di3BkOGXXoMTKP0Ze_JG07lbNFE35ScHXDqg5XWMBSLYS84RTE_35JshcSOBD_pDGqcw=w1252-h939-s-no

The old brace had a smaller plate no gusset and was 1.5" tube
pszsWgZGCy7lJrMg2ipRMvhEtgNs8y4fNXQ08B4UwwUikDk6WJjNUHbHVMqKWhTPr_6UtI7HTgm-omFSKJnpD4oRgVoXveG1sTW56MJMp6U_6txlCC-ICIR7pE1Z4eIIoi8fzVnDupYSNBhfLHJdAyGiWpsJ0E7Zx28TNHEar2EpTj3zXqfj1RAPvQY5Qlz2X9KN8VvEtw46ZwjGGDbaRM6SxJ_Odrv4r4R6gqYZiJgiU4LFj0E3ns0zPLpjm9prws8VNcw_pZK1W6Zoo0bIq3zwHiPTSs21xju-nGRKU1EArMVdn14H8HxtQMNtBet8cHpAdSoax__GYFTKVLETo8v_my_YS_RCMYvbPPl4_pG534bEgG8nwmuVIqOtEuJ1ywj98jklk8guynMYOh20RsuTww3HJEZrqdppKfccmtZLjuHuWzgTOgPti6f2nmKul_D3N702LzVDL4qVJF288LWmz5832Jz-CkIcHSho2GAAGn5PHIgMISX7zPPJYZHPUKeGhibDzETv1Y1cAjJns8EPTMVwPBDO3deC9TP5pBta2mfgVd54Ha9eByT6oEyfihs_-Q_9AwOFRwLt8BrG-QdL7Zjo_ro4PsO7rrF-0i2U58_QH9X5vJ4J0DiLUZ5qLqy2ANC1X7sG14bsyjSqamQASXc8zperRORmByZYEYC9jy9gO8mTyWAlG4GXX81IN1S_ZLoKdAP20MDgH2EqM1A3HjZAUCYYqI5SH31QLz3J7jkkMc5juW94WZs8r6ejLpdjr92phpmozTK5kjUtZp1HW7_K1EiQUb88M9xZ5AA6oxdAk17qs7SDc3MUWb9TSVXN1SCUQ4tYfOtDEcIkI_S1A_JDPqPo-YWXg-OnVdabzC5_dzem2FZAnmufKdQVq2EAbK4WV-GZPc_cs6PmY21v7lZhGy3GjhtZ1wgCAq0HzSxhXg=w704-h939-s-no

Broski… your attention to detail is coming through on this project. Good planning and design work. Like how you’ve combined strength in a compact design that services multiple purposes. Your building and fabrication experience must make the bending come easy, cause they look right in the money. Bet it will tie in well with your other armor and paint scheme. Looks good !!

Last edited:
My friend Ron @Road Apple came down last weekend and we did a complete make over on his steering System.
Including hydro assist, newly rebuilt RedHead steering box with a 105 kit, Chase Bay reservoir, 10” ram from RedNeck Ram, Witt’s Ends cooler and all new hoses.
D068A898-DDF7-46AA-8259-5DCB7A71FE04.jpeg
We made the reservoir mount utilizing the mount off the OEM reservoir.
BD525CC7-C5A8-4001-925C-B9670C3CF2B0.jpeg
Modify the ram mount
835D3BD8-AAF2-475C-8BA4-BD303ADC562D.jpeg
And welded it to the axle.
83903282-02D3-4D8B-BC41-C4551F745B02.jpeg
F042C492-6580-4FD4-98F8-3B1CEBB72269.jpeg
Tabs were modified and welded to the tie rod.
B1097869-10AF-4611-962C-348501742287.jpeg
Made this to keep the hoses contained and away from the motor.
3395618D-266B-4303-908D-29E9E27C9261.jpeg
Installed the new steering box, oil cooler and all the new holes
8FAF565F-E626-4C02-BF42-6883ADF84402.jpeg
It was a long hard 3 days of work and very dirty, there’s a few oil leaks that need to be tended to so it was a bit more messy under there then under my Reg 😳🤔
I forgot to get pictures of the new oil cooler.

Overall it came out really nice and Ron well be able to turn with the lockers on in the rock of Utah next month at Cruise Moab!!

Can’t wait it's going to be Epic!!

Last edited:
The paint on my armor was curing while all this work was going on.
Ron helped me get the armor mounted with just a few bolts in the main bumper mounts before he left.
But when I came back to it the next day realized I had made a huge mistake.
I had tack welded everything and then removed it for final welding and even though I moved around and did small welds it potato chipped and the gate was not fitting anymore, the first mount on the driver side bolted up but the second one I could only get one bolt in. The passenger side I couldn’t get any bolts in :bang:
The thing is I new better but I got inpatient
And didn’t do things in Sections, I was so disappointed I had to just walk away.

I didn’t take pictures but using two snatch blocks and two trees I was able to use my winch to pull the armor back out and get the gate to fit again.
The I proceeded to cut the passenger side mounts lose and slowly weld them back in so that side is fixed 😃
We had made plans to take my daughter up to see her brother in Sacramento for the weekend before she goes back to Europe so the other side will have to wait. 🤪

The paint on my armor was curing while all this work was going on.
Ron helped me get the armor mounted with just a few bolts in the main bumper mounts before he left.
But when I came back to it the next day realized I had made a huge mistake.
I had tack welded everything and then removed it for final welding and even though I moved around and did small welds it potato chipped and the gate was not fitting anymore, the first mount on the driver side bolted up but the second one I could only get one bolt in. The passenger side I couldn’t get any bolts in :bang:
The thing is I new better but I got inpatient
And didn’t do things in Sections, I was so disappointed I had to just walk away.

I didn’t take pictures but using two snatch blocks and two trees I was able to use my winch to pull the armor back out and get the gate to fit again.
The I proceeded to cut the passenger side mounts lose and slowly weld them back in so that side is fixed 😃
We had made plans to take my daughter up to see her brother in Sacramento for the weekend before she goes back to Europe so the other side will have to wait. 🤪
For sure, that would be disappointing. I was thinking about how you could have avoided the heat warpage while finishing up the welding, like leaving the gate installed as you did it. But that might make other problems (I have very little welding experience). Then it struck me, after you get it all aligned and working smoothly, if you prang it hard on the trail, it's going to be similar to what you experienced after your final welding. Only now you might not be able to get the gate open. It'll be interesting to see how this works when challenged by contact.

For sure, that would be disappointing. I was thinking about how you could have avoided the heat warpage while finishing up the welding, like leaving the gate installed as you did it. But that might make other problems (I have very little welding experience). Then it struck me, after you get it all aligned and working smoothly, if you prang it hard on the trail, it's going to be similar to what you experienced after your final welding. Only now you might not be able to get the gate open. It'll be interesting to see how this works when challenged by contact.
I think the issue could have been avoided by building the armor taking it off welding it,put it back on build the mounts take it back off weld the mounts, put it back on mount the gate repeat.

Part of the problem was I was working alone and it’s hard to mount and remove by myself.

As far as it bending it had nothing holding it while I was welding and there were no frame mounts or gate holding it when I used the wince to realign it.
With the frame mounts bolted down and the gate installed it felt really stout, I don’t think it will be a issue.
Kenn’s has taken a few big hits with out issues

Last edited:
Well, that's promising! But remember, an 80 is heavier than a 4runner.
How could I forget 🤣 that's why mine has 1.75" tube instead 1.50 and two frame mounts per side instead of one ;)
Eather way I well post up with pictures. But I'm confident it's going to do the job intended with out issue !!

Ram size?
1.5”x10”
We adjusted the steering stops to have a full 5” of stroke each way. 🤨
Careful checking the truck had 4 13/16” each way or a total of 9 5/8” stroke same as my Rig and a few other I have checked.
Others have shimmed the ram down to the 9 5/8”
When I set mine up years ago I used a
1.50x9” ram based what I read here and what RedNeck Ram recommended losing 5/16” of stroke each way.
Over the years this has really bothered me and I well be changing it out of a 10” Ram I have setting on the shelf along with a 105 kit and a bigger cooler.
This won’t happen until after Cruise Moab.
I plan to open the stroke to the full 10” same as we did to Ron’s
I wouldn’t recommend this unless your running RCV shaft’s which we both are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom