Broken air intake hose fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard that using silicone anwhere near the intake can damage the O2 sensors. Is it true? I also have a broken air intake tube and I am not planning to buy it right now (it costs $200 around here). Can I use a piece of rubber tube (the one used in old-fashioned tires) and gule it around? I plan to use this smelly brownish glue that is used most often for leather and shoes. Do you think that it won't do harm?

If you are not going to replace the damaged intake hose then repair it with duct tape. It is pliable and will be better at sealing the air leaks if you do a good job applying it.

-B-

How about Shoe-Goo - the shoe-sole repair stuff. I have repaired cracked urethane bumper covers with it (applied to the inside). It's far stouter than silicone caulk - in fact, because you walk on it when it's applied to your shoe bottoms, it's tough as nails. Which brings me to Liquid Nails, but that's another approach.

And I agree - the real solution is a new hose.

Steve

so if you know you are going to eventually buy a hose why put it off? do a temporary tape fix until the new part gets in,

Mike think you could get one from the US cheaper? or possibly another European country? with a $200 local price there is a large margin to cover shipping.

Well, I have just returned from my truck. The PO used electric tape to cover what I thought was a small crack... In fact the hose was torn into two pieces, very very bad. There is nothing I can do but buy a new one. I will contact Cdan and see what can be done. Shipping is not the problem here, the problem is taxes. If anything exceeds the value of $40 then the customs guys hold it until I pay lots of taxes (which raise the cost by around 40%). If Cdan can declare a value below $40, then he will have a new customer.

So far my intake is standing on the window and the shoe-glue is drying, I need a vehicle after all.

ouch, that is a lot of tax,

intake hose

when i first got my cruiser and put the lift on, i had taken her wheelin a few times, but noticed very unusal idle and loss of power when on extreme obstacles. she stalled out on one, and I popped the hood to find the similar smiling intake hose. :) I "trail" fixed it with electrical and duct tape. After six months of worrying about sucking the tape through the toothless smile, I went to the Toyota gods and purchased a new intake hose.

My cost: $72.84 and I had to wait two days.

But I figured it was cheaper than all of the additional damage that could result from using silicone, or even sucking up little particles of debrise over an extended period of time that sneak past tape. I'd suggest buying the replacement hose and having it last another 18 years or so.

Air intake hose torn

It happened to me too, when replacing the air filter, I used ducted tape for a week but check engine kept comming on, Replaced it wit a new one, Order it from CRUISERDAN, he is the man for parts. really reliable.

Haha, read through this thread as I just had the same thing happen to me. Spent the night lockin out a list of to do's on my cruiser. Wrap up and get ready to head out to reward myself with some Whataburger, and get real rough idling etc as soon as I start her up.

Quickly realize I cracked my intake hose when checking my air filter. I sit down and do a pretty nice tape job if I say so myself, and notice one side of the tube is a lot shinier than the other. Come to find out, looks like a PO has already done a tape job repair on the hose. I'll try to put up a pic hen I get home later. Looks like I'll be calling up Cruiser Dan Monday for my first order of parts.

This happened to be this past winter on the trail. I was out in the middle of nowhere. I used this stuff we call wash tape at work (used to tape off vital parts of Aircraft that shouldn't be exposed to water). Its basically 2.5 inch thick electrical tape with some pretty good adhesive. It's been on my truck since January. I'll get around to fixing it some day. It's not that expensive and for a 16 year old hose on a truck with 200,000+ miles on it I wouldn't worry about the next one till after the engine craps out.

Mine ripped when I cleaned my air filter, but didn't cause any issues or throw any codes :hmm:

Dealer had them stocked in their warehouse, but couldn't get it to me until the next morning ($76.23 to my door), so I just wrapped it with black duct tape to keep it from tearing any further from motor movement :meh:

?? Which dealer is this? Oem?

Been down this crazy road before. I have tried all kinds of things from home depot parts to a pieced together deal from auto zone. Do yourself a favor and order the new one from the dealer and take it off your list of worries

Replaced one of ours today, what a difference it makes. If you dont replace it, it will continue to break down from the inside...not good. Mike

anyone used that silicone hose tape they sell ? It's supposed to be good up to 400 degrees or something. I bought a roll at the gunshow :bounce: and put it on a leaky garden hose. It's been holding like a champ!

I patched my intake over a year ago and the silicone tape still looks good and hasn't leaked. I intended for it to be a temporary fix but.....:meh:

DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0065.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom