Mile Marker HI 1200 Hydraulic Winch Install Into Slee Shortbus Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mile Marker HI 1200 Hydraulic Winch Install Into Slee Shortbus Bumper (With Pics)

Inspired by Landtank's build, I finally got one of my own :bounce:

In preparation, I replaced the OEM paperclip power steering cooler with a B&M transmission cooler.

Wanting to hide the integrated solenoid and hydraulic lines, I clocked the hydraulic motor 180 degrees so that the solenoids would be underneath. One thing to note while installing is to make sure that the solenoid wires are somewhat accessable and not tucked up where your fingers can't get to them. The last step of the Mile Marker install manual says "If the hand control unit is working backwards, simply reverse the connections at the solenoids". Plan for that possiblilty.

In order to gain clearance, I stuck four stainless spacers under the feet of the winch (McMaster P/N 98125A031) which raised it about 0.175". This still allowed the bolts to thread into the feet the 6 to 10 threads that Mile Marker recommends.

The only trouble I had during the project was removing the OEM high pressure hose at the pump end. The union bolt wanted to stay assembled to the pressure port union (third picture below). The high pressure banjo was hitting the low pressure suction port union and I had to cut the hose with a Dremel (wasn't psyched about introducing metal particulate near the power steering system) and spin the whole assembly off.

The only tools that I didn't have for the project were a 16mm and 17mm crowfoot flare tool. The 17mm removes the OEM fitting at the steering box end (again, I Dremeled the fitting and used a deep socket to remove) and the 16mm installs the adapter supplied by Mile Marker. I got a set, last-minute, at AutoZone, but it didn't have a 16mm; had to make some shims to use in conjunction with the 17mm.

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
I remounted the box that you plug the hand control into near the grill and angled it forward a bit.

With the spacers underneath the winch feet, the winch just barely fits.

Relocating/replacing the AC dryer is a project for the Spring.

If I rear-end another vehicle, that safety thimble will poke a nice hole in their bumper.

7.jpg
7a.jpg
8.jpg

Last edited:
This is most likely unnecessary, but I made a rubber bumper for the safety thimble to keep it from dinging up the hawse fairlead.

I got to use a gasket cutter that I bought 10 years ago and never had a reason to use :). (I got it at a hardware store that was going out of business. Nearly all of them around here have been killed by Home Depot and Lowes; total bummer :crybaby:)

9.jpg
9a.jpg
9b.jpg

Last edited:
I got to test the winch a few times recently and it pretty much paid for itself.

With rain and snow coming down, my fiance and I were in water up to the mid-doors (when we dipped into holes, the water would come up over the hood and also hit the rear window; never been more nervous in the cruiser). After a 20 minute water crossing (a beaver family had taken over the road), there was a downed and submerged tree blocking our way. I got the front up and over only to get high centered and had to winch off. It would have been a cold and long recovery had the winch not been there.

You can see the debris we picked up along the way.

The winch worked great. It may be a bit slow, but it gets the job done. I also installed the OEM hand throttle to speed it up a bit.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup so far. I'll update as it gets used.

:cheers:
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up! Glad to see it isn't a super complicated install.

Dude, you NEED a winch. Glad you got what it takes.
:clap:

Nice write up, there aren't many folks that like the idea of a hydraulic winch. Kudos for bucking the trend.

I like the idea of the rubber donut for the thimble. If your donut doesn't last try a hockey puck. If you have a shackle secure it to the shackle at the recover point if you want to get it out of the way.

That is just how I installed my hydraulic on the slee bumper but I didn't use the shim washers. It fit so nice you might think it was designed for it.

I personally like the slow steady pull from this winch. You get a great sense of control when you are in an awkward spot.

I like that set up. My M12K loves to eat batteries.

I am glad ya'll have good luck with this winch. We have the U.S. Army issue MM winch and it never works right LOL. Those solenoids are the issue. They are very touchy on ours. Maybe we just need to fiddle with it some more. It is really a PIA.

D

nice!
this is strictly OEM power steering pump for now, I take it?

Nice writeup and install. Tell me, I am intressted in a winch, but not sure what the pro's & con's are of electric vs Hydrolic.

Where does it get its oil from? Do you install it to the gearbox oil or powersteering side?

Nice! Great Job, Josh :clap:

I am glad ya'll have good luck with this winch. We have the U.S. Army issue MM winch and it never works right LOL. Those solenoids are the issue. They are very touchy on ours. Maybe we just need to fiddle with it some more. It is really a PIA.

D

I've had mine for years with no issues. HOWEVER, when switching between speeds you need to spool out just a bit. I would spool in, in Hi, then switch to Lo for the pull and nothing would happen or seemed to. It was because the gears were under a slight load and the change didn't happen and I was still in Hi.

I like the idea of the rubber donut for the thimble. If your donut doesn't last try a hockey puck.

I actually got the idea for the rubber donut from a thread about a guy that used a hockey puck. My reasoning for using the thin rubber is if, during recovery, the attachment point broke loose, I wouldn't have a hockey puck flying around.

That is just how I installed my hydraulic on the slee bumper but I didn't use the shim washers....

My solenoid pack definitely hit the bumper before the winch feet. It could be that my winch feet were machined down a bit more than yours or perhaps there are differences in our bumpers.

D

I can't say that I was overly impressed by the manufacturing of the winch.

(1) In one spot on the cast section of the frame, one of the threaded motor-mount holes broke through the surface. I filled the hole with black RTV to prevent water from getting trapped in there.

(2) The plastic and rubber used on the winch isn't of great quality; there is a lot of flash and, I may sound like a tool bag here, but it just doesn't feel all that durable.

(3) Upon receipt, the screws holding the hand control receptacle box together were falling out and needed to be reassembled. The instructions for winch operation that are printed on the receptacle box were rubbed off during shipment, as well.

(4) The machined surface that mates with the solenoid assembly needed to be cleaned up with a gasket scraper prior to installation.

Mile Marker is an ISO 9001 company and I would have thought that their quality would have been a bit better. Perhaps these little slips in quality are a consequence of overseas production (on the hand control receptacle box, there is a tiny silver colored sticker that reads "Mile Marker China"; their only manufacturing is in China).

It didn't intend this to be a rant, but wanted to point out there is some area for Quality improvement.

nice!
this is strictly OEM power steering pump for now, I take it?

Yep, just the OEM pump.

Where does it get its oil from? Do you install it to the gearbox oil or powersteering side?

The winch "plugs in" between the steering pump to the steering box. It replaces the high pressure hose that travels from the pump to the box.

I understand your concern for bits flying around at high velocity but the synthetic rope greatly reduces the that potential. The hockey puck shouldn't be quite as destructive as a broken shackle or hook for those not using the thimble.

My solenoid pack definitely hit the bumper before the winch feet. It could be that my winch feet were machined down a bit more than yours or perhaps there are differences in our bumpers.

From looking at the winch your's has a square motor where mine is round. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Bump: I have the Slee shortbus and a newer production Milemarker HI1200 to install...

Sc0-, you'll love working with this winch. I've never had a failure or have I even stalled the winch and I've used it for more than recovering the truck.

While everyone bags on it being slow I find that it's one of it's best attributes. Nice slow, steady, controlled pulls with no worries about duty cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom