Builds Bring back my Dads FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, first post on here! Just want to introduce myself and let you all know I’m probably going to be asking a lot of questions and looking for some advice. So, a little background. My father bought an 80’ FJ40 in 1982 from a friend. It was his pride and joy and he owned it until 2002 when he sold it to his best friend to pay some bills. During his time of ownership all of my childhood memories are tied to that truck. From painting the wheels and bumper every spring to rebuilding the motor on 1999. Fast forward to December of last year and I get a call that he’s gonna but it back from his friend! Well Jan came around and he was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer and it changed his plans a little. He fought a good fight, but lost his battle on Sept 3rd. After he passed all of my siblings and I kept telling stories and they all involved the FJ. So, I called up my dads friend and asked him if it was really for sale. He said only to my dad! But, he would make an exception to that and I could have it back. It’s in really rough shape, but I’m hopeful that over the next year I can bring it back to life and make some memories with my kids. I have owned two of my own in the past, but this one is different. I plan on posting pics of the progress and looking forward to all of your input.

Thanks,

CD48FE00-A006-4AC8-91E2-7F9F1734D41C.jpeg

I too am sorry to hear of your fathers passing ... there are a lot of cruiserheads up there to talk to and he’ll look down on you with pride

It doesn’t look to bad from the pic ... but... I live in the upper north east and we have big shet boxes up here ... that is not one of them :)

Ask away

And I’d love to see family pics of baby you and fathers truck... or just family truckster pics :)

Pictures from before the #makingmemories fake stuff you see yahoos posting on Facebook

Welcome to mud!!!

A dysfunctional family of cruiserheads :meh:

I too am sorry to hear of your fathers passing ... there are a lot of cruiserheads up there to talk to and he’ll look down on you with pride

It doesn’t look to bad from the pic ... but... I live in the upper north east and we have big shet boxes up here ... that is not one of them :)

Ask away

And I’d love to see family pics of baby you and fathers truck... or just family truckster pics :)

Pictures from before the #makingmemories fake stuff you see yahoos posting on Facebook

Welcome to mud!!!

A dysfunctional family of cruiserheads :meh:

Hi,
So, here are the pictures I found recently. My sister has all of my fathers stuff right now and is slowly going through it all. I'm sure she will find many more pictures. In the pictures you can see my dad and his truck and his friend Jimmy and his truck. Funny thing is Jimmy's truck, Old Blue, currently resides in my brothers garage in Bay City MI! Jimmy had some health issues of his own and sold it to my brother in 2015. My dad is the skinner one in his ever so trendy short shorts!
Now, as far as the pic in my sig. That is a picture of it on the trailer when I picked it up about a month ago now. It does look goodish in the picture, but it has spent the last 7 years of it's life outside in Minnesota uncovered! Needless to say I may be in the market for a new tub after I assess the situation in the next few weeks. I will be posting the teardown pictures in the next few days hopefully.

-Sean

Attachments

• Dads FJ40.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 471
Sorry to hear of your loss. My brother passed suddenly last year. He didn’t have the time or cash to restore his ‘76 that I have now inherited. We had done many of the mechanicals but it needs more TLC. I plan on doing my brother proud and make his ‘76 Bitchin! I get the feeling you have the same plan for your Dad’s ride. These projects are good Karma👍

Sorry to hear of your loss. My brother passed suddenly last year. He didn’t have the time or cash to restore his ‘76 that I have now inherited. We had done many of the mechanicals but it needs more TLC. I plan on doing my brother proud and make his ‘76 Bitchin! I get the feeling you have the same plan for your Dad’s ride. These projects are good Karma👍

Yep! That’s the plan. Lots of work, but he would be happy and proud. Sorry about your brother. Losing family is the hardest.

@RJC1980FJ40 Very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you have found your way here! When you are here, you are among friends. I am 100% confident that this forum will be able to provide you with all the knowledge, support, advice, and parts you will need for your project. I am looking forward to seeing your progress and I'm sure your dad will be watching as well. Post lots of pics!

@tls3601 Very sorry to hear of your loss but I'm glad to hear that his project became your project rather than being hauled away to some undeserving end.

Thank goodness my father couldn’t pull off wearing those 80’s shorts ... my mother however was the trendy one ... she went all in during the 80’s lol

Great pictures!

The third pic is the best one of all. All great pics though!

Welcome to MUD, uncommon people with a common interest.

Lost my dad to his heart condition in 1974, I still miss him. Sorry about your dad but I know how proud he would be to know you bought the LC back and plan to restore it. Keep at it and post photos, this crowd likes photos. Ask questions, this crowd welcomes questions and the knowledge level here is magnificent. Someone somewhere knows the answer because they have run into the same thing at least once or twice and will be happy to provide guidance. DOn't get in a hurry, do it right or as close to right as you can.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

You might consider posting those pics in this thread.

Many of my tools were once my fathers, and he got me into turning wrenches, and doing it for going outdoors, and fly fishing, and appreciating the landscape. I'm definitely mourning the past, or at least the consciousness of what most people call a 'simpler time,' - something that is difficult to put a finger on and say exactly what it was.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting the pics, always fun to see.

Glad to see you have the 40 back. The rust doesn't look too bad for being in Minnesota.

Have fun with the project.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting the pics, always fun to see.

Glad to see you have the 40 back. The rust doesn't look too bad for being in Minnesota.

Have fun with the project.

That pic is deceiving! The bed is almost 100% gone and the floor boards are completely gone. I’ll be able to post some more detailed pictures in a few days.

Mine probably had water too. There was rust in the carb. It looked like water came thru the loose connection at the window washer in the hood and drained over and thru the 2F air cleaner, then into the intake. I have that spot, on the hood, capped with a bolt and a thick application of teflon tape! And it remains water tight. Most F engines have the air cleaner with no thru-the-top of the air cleaner mounting stud at the carb, the Weber air cleaner would protect LC motors as well.

The carb throttle shafts are still rust seized that came with the currently installed 2F motor, and it probably saw way more moisture exposure, but the engine appears fine, today. The original engine that came with the truck had a stuck flywheel at the bellhousing, not an internal problem associated with drinking water. However, both didn't have water in the oil pan, but this is arid New Mexico, not Minnesota.

I'd guess that it is not a cracked block, head, or blown head gasket, just rain and snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom