Builds Bring back my Dads FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well got some more done today! Pulled out the seats, roll bar, took the top off, and removed all doors to get a good look at what’s needed. It’s gonna be a long road!

56FC2447-788B-476F-880E-BBD30E4210F7.jpeg

38D2D8DC-5E50-4DDD-A31B-FEEAF42AC15C.jpeg

EBDF6302-5EC8-481B-9257-883768825EFF.jpeg

267F2AC1-DEF7-4D2F-97E5-9F839955BFF3.jpeg

6176AF46-45AF-40B3-89ED-AF293D9958BA.jpeg

Maybe a good candidate for an aqualu replacement...
Love the effort displayed on your son's face...

Looking forward to the build...

Maybe a good candidate for an aqualu replacement...
Love the effort displayed on your son's face...

Looking forward to the build...

My thoughts exactly when I saw the amount of rust. I have a ‘79 current and I’m building my own tub. If I had the money to drop now I would just buy an Aqualu tub.

This is really great!!! Working with my boys each weekend on cruisers is the best thing I ever did. The conversations we have had while working on these trucks is something I would otherwise probably never had. Us getting to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses is great. The “sticking with it to the end” regardless of the challenges is a lesson of life they would rarely get with two thumbed media world. Being vulnerable to say I don’t know all but would love to learn how to do it with my boys help was a cherry on top. It empowered them to solve problems. Make sure you keep safety on top of all as they launch into this. My boys wear gloves, safety glasses. They wear masks/ hearing protection when grinding. Teaching them the proper way to use tools and the damage it can cause is something worth instilling prior. A tetanus shot might be a good idea😀.

I am sure they are proud as you are to rescue this in remembrance of your dad. A truly great purpose for all to rally around.

Laugh at your mistakes.

My boys and I will be reading this.

great project :cheers:

Got the old tires off and we’re starting to wire brush to see what we’ve got. Doesn’t look to bad and the bead was holding with the last tires, so plan is to restore these. Also, had some help today! It didn’t last long as you can the last picture.

68029D3E-866F-45DC-82A8-A350B171FF21.jpeg

61E0178D-005A-4188-8FB7-0D0BA9314FF8.jpeg

17532B6A-B96B-4C61-A7DF-5ABD0B67247C.jpeg

Boy, stuff rusts in Minnesota (like seat pans) that you didn't even know could rust!

Boy, stuff rusts in Minnesota (like seat pans) that you didn't even know could rust!
It’s terrible. I’m not sure there is any part of this thing that isn’t a little rusty if not completely gone! Frame rails seem good!

Well, after a week break I was back at it today. I was able to get the whole front clip off. I also was able to better inspect the firewall and have determined that a full tub replacement is necessary!😢 So, here’s my question. Which tub?? I have been researching for a month now and don’t know if I can afford a good steel tub and the EBay tubs scare me. I’ve searched the forum and it seems all the tubs from South America take forever and most seem to be damaged or the fitment is terrible. So, I was almost set on an aluminum tub until I met a guy last week with a fiberglass tub. That wasn’t even on my radar, but his cruiser looked amazing and it was done almost 15 years ago he said. Now he did tell me that all are not created equal and after a bad fiberglass tub he found a company in Canada called Gozzard Composites. I did some research and they seem reputable and I also found some on this forum stating they have great stuff. He even said he goes wheeling and has never had a strength issue. Also, before you all hang me for not keeping it original please remember I’m not building it for value, resale or to show. I want to build something I can enjoy with my children for many many years and not go completely broke in the process. A $10k tub is out of the question right now. I’ll attach a link to the fiberglass tub and welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

918E39FD-A0BF-4A94-85E8-8D85636319A6.jpeg

830006F5-764D-4BCD-918E-F63C5CAE0625.jpeg

F743557C-88C1-463A-AF55-FA76A09107B3.jpeg

Well, after a week break I was back at it today. I was able to get the whole front clip off. I also was able to better inspect the firewall and have determined that a full tub replacement is necessary!😢 So, here’s my question. Which tub?? I have been researching for a month now and don’t know if I can afford a good steel tub and the EBay tubs scare me. I’ve searched the forum and it seems all the tubs from South America take forever and most seem to be damaged or the fitment is terrible. So, I was almost set on an aluminum tub until I met a guy last week with a fiberglass tub. That wasn’t even on my radar, but his cruiser looked amazing and it was done almost 15 years ago he said. Now he did tell me that all are not created equal and after a bad fiberglass tub he found a company in Canada called Gozzard Composites. I did some research and they seem reputable and I also found some on this forum stating they have great stuff. He even said he goes wheeling and has never had a strength issue. Also, before you all hang me for not keeping it original please remember I’m not building it for value, resale or to show. I want to build something I can enjoy with my children for many many years and not go completely broke in the process. A $10k tub is out of the question right now. I’ll attach a link to the fiberglass tub and welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

View attachment 2166605

View attachment 2166606

View attachment 2166607

If you’ve got the coin for a Gozzard tub then great! I wouldn’t hesitate.

Before buying the tub you might take this opportunity to price out what all you’re wanting to do with the truck.

If you’ve got the coin for a Gozzard tub then great! I wouldn’t hesitate.

Before buying the tub you might take this opportunity to price out what all you’re wanting to do with the truck.

So, rough budget is $1,500 Wheels and Tires, $3,500 mechanical and Suspension, $6,000 body work and paint (which is WAY more then I originally wanted to spend), and $1,500-$2,000 in misc. I will be able to do 99% of the work myself, so that’s where I’ll save the most. And I’m asking wife and family for gift card for all the odds and ends that I will want to replace as time goes on.
Also, Do you have experience with Gozzard Tubs? Will my windshield and other components bolt up with no issues? I’m just worried about strength? Should I be?

Thanks,

So, rough budget is $1,500 Wheels and Tires, $3,500 mechanical and Suspension, $6,000 body work and paint (which is WAY more then I originally wanted to spend), and $1,500-$2,000 in misc. I will be able to do 99% of the work myself, so that’s where I’ll save the most. And I’m asking wife and family for gift card for all the odds and ends that I will want to replace as time goes on.
Also, Do you have experience with Gozzard Tubs? Will my windshield and other components bolt up with no issues? I’m just worried about strength? Should I be?

Thanks,

Well if $6k is your tub and paint budget then you need to reconsider how you’re going to finish. The Gozzard is $5k plus tax and shipping so there’s your budget. Plus, you still need to purchase paint and then paint it yourself. I would budget at least double what you have now for paint and body.

No personal experience with the Gozzard tub other than reading several threads about their strength and quality.

Go with Aqualu man! you will be miles ahead and can start saving for the painting. Hell great time to learn how to paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom