Builds Bring back my Dads FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go with Aqualu man! you will be miles ahead and can start saving for the painting. Hell great time to learn how to paint.

Why would you recommend aluminum over fiberglass? I haven’t worked with either very much. Also, I can paint and have access to a shop, so that part will actually be the easiest.

Your tub doesn’t look that bad. Unless there are more areas aside from what you have posted, You can buy the replacement panels and weld them in yourself. Would definitely save money...

it is a lot worse then the pictures show. I’ve done some body panel replacement before and I just don’t see how without replacing everything. I could technically keep dash and firewall with some work. My biggest fear with having to replace so many panels is i won’t be able to get them all lined up! If I get a tub there will be fitment issues, but hopefully not major ones?

I've seen beautiful results on here with both aqualu and gozzard. I seem to remember a thread where someone was
specifically addressing how to properly brace fiberglass attachment to frame. I think in all of these cases you're going
with nutsert type insert attachments for window frame, quarter panel etc. I discounted the south american tubs for
the exact same reasons you mentioned. You may also want to try to find a decent used tub without as much rust.
I've found searchtempest.com to be helpful on scanning large areas of craigslist. Laying your hands on a cheap parts
truck with a decent body may be an option if you have the space. Can never have enough parts when you jump into
this.

I've seen beautiful results on here with both aqualu and gozzard. I seem to remember a thread where someone was
specifically addressing how to properly brace fiberglass attachment to frame. I think in all of these cases you're going
with nutsert type insert attachments for window frame, quarter panel etc. I discounted the south american tubs for
the exact same reasons you mentioned. You may also want to try to find a decent used tub without as much rust.
I've found searchtempest.com to be helpful on scanning large areas of craigslist. Laying your hands on a cheap parts
truck with a decent body may be an option if you have the space. Can never have enough parts when you jump into
this.
Great idea thanks. I might start looking for a less rusty donor cruiser.

I want to through out TROA as an option for tubs and body parts. They are out of south (or central?) america and have a better reputation and much faster delivery that most of the other options. It's who I've settled on because I decided I wanted steel (ability to weld, ability to pound it back in shape after a rock hit, etc) and you are right the rest of the options for tubs are either ridiculously expensive or have reputations for not fitting or showing up damaged or taking way too long.

I want to through out TROA as an option for tubs and body parts. They are out of south (or central?) america and have a better reputation and much faster delivery that most of the other options. It's who I've settled on because I decided I wanted steel (ability to weld, ability to pound it back in shape after a rock hit, etc) and you are right the rest of the options for tubs are either ridiculously expensive or have reputations for not fitting or showing up damaged or taking way too long.
I looked on the TROA site and only see a 1/2 tub option? Are you able to find a 3/4 or whole tub from them, or would I need to get the 1/2 and weld in needed panels/floors?

Before ordering from TROA, I'd recommend reading this. It is a couple years old but still good info.

Also great story and look forward to seeing your build.

@yotadude520 - thanks for that link, I'd seen part of that post, but not the entirety. For me, at $3,000 for a half tub, it still seems like the most cost effective way to go - despite all the issues related to the parts not really being factory. There is a distributor for TROA now near me that seems to have the delivery part sorted out.

@yotadude520 - thanks for that link, I'd seen part of that post, but not the entirety. For me, at $3,000 for a half tub, it still seems like the most cost effective way to go - despite all the issues related to the parts not really being factory. There is a distributor for TROA now near me that seems to have the delivery part sorted out.
Where is the TROA distributor?

Great idea thanks. I might start looking for a less rusty donor cruiser.
Well, after a week break I was back at it today. I was able to get the whole front clip off. I also was able to better inspect the firewall and have determined that a full tub replacement is necessary!😢 So, here’s my question. Which tub?? I have been researching for a month now and don’t know if I can afford a good steel tub and the EBay tubs scare me. I’ve searched the forum and it seems all the tubs from South America take forever and most seem to be damaged or the fitment is terrible. So, I was almost set on an aluminum tub until I met a guy last week with a fiberglass tub. That wasn’t even on my radar, but his cruiser looked amazing and it was done almost 15 years ago he said. Now he did tell me that all are not created equal and after a bad fiberglass tub he found a company in Canada called Gozzard Composites. I did some research and they seem reputable and I also found some on this forum stating they have great stuff. He even said he goes wheeling and has never had a strength issue. Also, before you all hang me for not keeping it original please remember I’m not building it for value, resale or to show. I want to build something I can enjoy with my children for many many years and not go completely broke in the process. A $10k tub is out of the question right now. I’ll attach a link to the fiberglass tub and welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

View attachment 2166605

View attachment 2166606

View attachment 2166607

Classic Cruisers in CO should have a donor tub.

That was the first direction I went. Got an email back that the available tub was $12k!
On top of that they don't seem to care about protecting the inventory at all. Lots of 40's sitting there without tops, open to the environment, rodents, and full of snow. This bothers me to no end.

On top of that they don't seem to care about protecting the inventory at all. Lots of 40's sitting there without tops, open to the environment, rodents, and full of snow. This bothers me to no end.
Agreed! I wish something was available and in good condition I could drive there in a few hours and not wait for something for weeks or months that may not be right.

That was the first direction I went. Got an email back that the available tub was $12k!
Agreed! I wish something was available and in good condition I could drive there in a few hours and not wait for something for weeks or months that may not be right.

Ouch, that’s a lot. Before we decided to restore the original tub, the Aqualu seemed like the best option. @RJC1980FJ40 , maybe a cruiser head like @whitestripe or one of the clubs out there could look at it in person and share their thoughts.

Ouch, that’s a lot. Before we decided to restore the original tub, the Aqualu seemed like the best option. @RJC1980FJ40 , maybe a cruiser head like @whitestripe or one of the clubs out there could look at it in person and share their thoughts.

I would be open to that. I know I could buy each and every panel for less then a full tub, but then I would have to puzzle it together or pay someone to help and then I don’t know if I’m in the driver seat. But, I’m definitely open for people to check it out and give opinions.

it is a lot worse then the pictures show. I’ve done some body panel replacement before and I just don’t see how without replacing everything. I could technically keep dash and firewall with some work. My biggest fear with having to replace so many panels is i won’t be able to get them all lined up! If I get a tub there will be fitment issues, but hopefully not major ones?
I have an a Aqualu 3/4 tub. Take a good assessment of you your cowl. Mine needs some rust repair as well, so I still( 2 years later) need to address the issue and get it painted. If you plan to use the rig offroad, the Aqualu is good and kinda bad:
Good- no rust, seriously beefy and comes pretty much ready to drop in(there's some tweaking)
Bad- not as easy to weld(but it still metal, so its possible). Doesn't look entirely stock(personal choice)
It's not cheap though, I think mine was $4500 +/- to my door. I didn't have to assemble a new tub and mine was shot as well.
A used donor vehicle would no doubt be cheaper, if you can find a good tub. It will require some sort of work as well, so factor that in as well. Lots of options.

I know you guys said you like pictures, so here's a few more. My sister came over today and brought some pictures she found in my Dads belongings. The first is the 40 in the garage after some fun, and that little guy standing by it is me! The next three are focused on the one I have now, but you can see the other two he had in the picture. I know the red one had a V8 in it and was his first ever. My mom thinks the other was for parts because it sat in that same spot in the front of the house for years.

6_54_43_6_54_32_scan185415443.jpg

6_56_04_6_55_51_6_55_39_scan185514397.jpg

6_57_01_6_56_51_scan18562916.jpg

6_57_44_6_57_43_scan185715587.jpg

Great pics!!!

@bcsteel just built his 42 out of aqualu products he would have a ton of good info ongoing aluminum

Yep I can give my point of view if your looking for another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom