Bought My First Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. I had a 40 that ran Hot in the summer. After 2 hour drive it would always boil over. Pulled the t-stat every summer. Modified t-stat housing with stainless helicoils and hardware to ease the removal every summer.

Separated the manifolds and cleaned/painted them. Gonna re use for now. Couldn't find the right studs to replace the boogered up bolts with at the local stores (made an order). Valve cover gasket was hopelessly too small. Might tinker with that before giving up and ordering one with some sort of name on it.

IMG20230118101403.jpg
IMG20230118103447.jpg
IMG20230118103453.jpg

We can get all those parts OEM usually next-day.

All you have to do is ask, no parts order is too small :meh:

Need some help on this one,

There is no slave bracket with this truck. The previous setup had some weird system of spacers on the bell housing mount. I need to order a new slave here soon. It's a 78 bellhousing, do I need to order a slave for that year of bellousing and the bracketry for it, then?

Need some help on this one,

There is no slave bracket with this truck. The previous setup had some weird system of spacers on the bell housing mount. I need to order a new slave here soon. It's a 78 bellhousing, do I need to order a slave for that year of bellousing and the bracketry for it, then?

You should be able to use the original 3-speed bellhousing mount that has the holes for the slave cylinder on the driver’s side. I think I have a few of them if yours got lost. Also have slave cylinders in stock. :)

BB797630-3FF2-4F9C-85E7-3BA1D1F64160.jpeg

You should be able to use the original 3-speed bellhousing mount that has the holes for the slave cylinder on the driver’s side. I think I have a few of them if yours got lost. Also have slave cylinders in stock. :)

View attachment 3231679

Gonna have to take a look and see what I need to make this happen. Might end up reaching out for a slave if I cant make the one I have already work. It should be doable, but I've said that before on this truck and here we are.

Took a crack at cleaning up the manifolds. Got super lucky and came away with no broken bolts or nuts. The long manifold clamping bolt almost got me but enough heat, lube, patience, and impact guns got it. Found some more PO surprises though. Any guesses what these welds are supposed to be doing? Not much I suppose. Either way,.might be going header sooner rather than later - MIGHT.

View attachment 3222365
View attachment 3222366
View attachment 3222367
View attachment 3222368
As our esteemed colleague @bobm would say, "WTF, WTF, WTF?!?"

Did a lot of little things today. Still.more to go but inching closer to first drives.

Discovered a while ago that the master would drain itself in about a day. The junction on the front axle was the culprit. Hard lines had recently been replaced (assuming by P/O). Oh boy! Now, I'm no Mr. Double Flare Master by any means but this single flare was the worst thing I have ever seen. Everything seals and bleeds great now.

IMG20230308111350.jpg

Turned it over and then smoke!
The +12 switch to coil wire was burning. This junk of wiring was hacked to a ballast resistor that was crusty. After unwinding some tape this was the connection I found. No solder, just twist and tape. Anyone have thoughts on bypassing the ballast vs wiring it in? I have my thoughts but I'm curious what other experience says.

IMG20230308155542.jpg

Truly amazing what some owners do to their vehicles, those were some good finds.

I'm sure there's more to come. Simple pride of work will go miles towards competency. I was just gonna do "the necessities" ( see earlier posts) but as I saw the quality of work done, I've decided to take time and just go through everything I can.

Last edited:
Finally got the engine bay back together. Yes I'm running the cleaner backwards.

Got a good drip coming off the front of the engine while running. Gotta solve that now.

Also, to diag a no-charge condition.

The joys of old trucks!

IMG20230311174940.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom