Bonnet latch holes on the original fj43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I am rebuilding my FJ43 and wanted to know at what dimensions the bonnet latches - holes should be drilled. If someone could help me with the dimensions that would be great. Thanks.

Screenshot_20240313_162713_Gallery.jpg

I'm sorry I'm not near a 40 right now to give you the measurements but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.
I just wanted to chime in and say the Cruiser Gods will bless you for fixing this abominable sin that Colombians do to their 40 series when adding 70 series lights.

I'm sorry I'm not near a 40 right now to give you the measurements but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.
I just wanted to chime in and say the Cruiser Gods will bless you for fixing this abominable sin that Colombians do to their 40 series when adding 70 series lights.
I do hope someone replies... I'll post a pic of the cruiser once it's complete.

The issue is the catch on the apron is probably too far back now. Doesn't even look like the stock catch that was originally spot welded to the apron. Correct the catch and latch goes straight above. The FJ25 and part of the 61 FJ40 had a direct air intake to the engine off the apron. Those were further back. Once the intake was gone from the apron the latch and catch moved forward. Measure won't do you any good until the catch is in the correct location. The latch is not made to angle back.

So @Chamba when in the northern hemisphere are back in the dry southwest or still back in the humid East Coast?

Hi everyone,

I am rebuilding my FJ43 and wanted to know at what dimensions the bonnet latches - holes should be drilled. If someone could help me with the dimensions that would be great. Thanks.

View attachment 3580890

No holes in the apron for the emblem guessing that apron has bondo. If does I would just replace the emblems and be done. Year, Which hand drive and market would help get the correct aprons. Mounting changed over the years. Same with type of emblem and clearance light or no clearance light.

The issue is the catch on the apron is probably too far back now. Doesn't even look like the stock catch that was originally spot welded to the apron. Correct the catch and latch goes straight above. The FJ25 and part of the 61 FJ40 had a direct air intake to the engine off the apron. Those were further back. Once the intake was gone from the apron the latch and catch moved forward. Measure won't do you any good until the catch is in the correct location. The latch is not made to angle back.

So @Chamba when in the northern hemisphere are back in the dry southwest or still back in the humid East Coast?
Still stuck in Florida. We go back to Australia each year, but I only go for a week or two. My wife and kids go for longer but I gotta work.

I thought I'd be in Florida for maybe two years when we opened the base here and back out west..... but here we are 7 years later. Ciest la vie.

How are you doing?

As for the aprons: I agree, far easier to get replacement left and right aprons used. There is no difference LHD vs RHD. They changed nominally in 1975 when the emblem changed and the side marker light was removed, but otherwise they remained the same outside of Japan (where they had mounts for mirrors on certain years) from 75-84. Any apron from 75-84 will work perfectly.

Last edited:
I measured my 1983 FJ45 Troopy latches for you. Hood is the same part number as the FJ40; not sure about the FJ43 though. Using a combination square the latch holds and catch are exactly 5" back. Keep in mind that with the combination square the distance is a bit further as it's measuring from a point on the front and not from some point on the side of the panel. The top of the latch piece is about 2" down from the top. Hope that helps.

Give me a minute or two and I will edit with some photos from my phone.

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom