Tire on the Bonnet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kenda makes the Klever RT 33x9.5. Just put those on last Spring. Happy with them so far. See post #141 on my signature link

Very nice! Thanks! Bookmarked info for future/next ire purchase considerations.

No-one has commented about where a bonnet-mounted wheel goes in the event of an accident.............

If you don't want to take the roof off, should've gotten an FJ55.

That power rear window on my dad's was the coolest thing I'd seen on a car back in '77.

And instead of mounting the spare on the hood my dad it was on the front bumper. Instead of wasting all that steel tube to protect your grill from the 'roo's you could just used the spare!!! (we had moose, spare isn't gonna be big enough for any of them).

Besides, ya can't go out on a proper safari with a roof on, those dirty windows will mess up all your pictures.

Put the beers down mate, there are two big hinges on your windscreen. ;)

The early FJ45 with the fixed top had solid plate for windshield frame that wasn't part of the cowl. Even some early FJ40 hard top models had hinges but no pads or hooks on the hood. The early 40 series with defrost vent couldn't fold the windshield without removing the vents. During the early 1960s hinges didn't automatically mean Toyota designed for it to be fold down.

The 40 on the left is a 62 titled FJ40 built in 61.
20220410_121615.jpg

I have a second hood from another 61 FJ40 FHT without the hooks or pads. Here is my 9/64 FJ40.
IMG_2978.JPG

Has pads, hooks, hinges. Quick release latches on the cowl and at the front on the cap. But without removing the defrost vents (not easy) the windshield will not fold down. The defrost vents started during 1962. Wasn't until the vent in the windshield was replaced by on in the cowl did Toyota changed to a two piece vent that didn't need to remove the vent to fold the windshield down.
So a 45 from the early 1960s wasn't clear if the windshield suppose to fold down or it wasn't suppose to fold down.

I'm a longs ways from being a kid and just lifting this spare is hard enough.
IMG_20190822_190232324.jpg

I got lucky and found the spare tire carrier from a 84 troopy to use in my FJ45. The spare tire carrier on the 1960 FJ45s was pain to use. Once you set the spare in the carrier need a winch to lift the carrier to secure carrier in place.

Following the threads from the original poster I think I would worry about correcting all issues before I thought about anything like relocating the spare. Living in Arizona I know the back country has plenty of washboard roads. Spare on the hood your just asking for stress cracks. If this was a FJ40/BJ40 I would suggest getting a 4Plus spare tire carrier before they are no longer available.

Those spring clips are to retain the folded down windscreen.
Mine is 1979 How can it possibly fold forward with that motor in the way I’ve circled ..?
IMG_4787.jpeg

maybe it’s an optional extra and they couldn’t be bothered changing the Bonnet LOL for all the drama just to have the window folded down to feel the wind in your pubes doesn’t seem worth it

Last edited:
There are 3 "hinge" styles: a solid unfoldable plate, a close-folding hinge such as you have but for use with upper wipers, and an extended hinge that works with the lower exposed wiper motor on your truck. Either someone swapped the incorrect hinges on your truck (most-likely), or the later windshield frame was substituted. If not wanting a folding windshield, then you're fine as-is.

Mine is 1979 How can it possibly fold forward with that motor in the way I’ve circled ..?
View attachment 3470907
maybe it’s an optional extra and they couldn’t be bothered changing the Bonnet LOL for all the drama just to have the window folded down to feel the wind in your pubes doesn’t seem worth it

Hinge is offset so the wipper motor cover is not in the way when the windshield is fold down

How can it possibly fold forward with that motor in the way I’ve circled ..?
View attachment 3470907

Because the hinges pivot point stands proud from the frame, it's able to clear the wiper motor. Your missing the rubber cushions that go on top of the hold downs to protect the frame. I never run a top on my 40's and when I trail ride the windshield is always down . There's nothing like a nice breeze on the trail.

Last edited:
Maybe, instead of mounting the tire on the HJ, I can make a little pull bar so it rolls right behind, or just drag it. I find that manhandling the spare is much better accomplished while naked.

Maybe, instead of mounting the tire on the HJ, I can make a little pull bar so it rolls right behind, or just drag it. I find that manhandling the spare is much better accomplished while naked.
Duallies!
1699060117522.png

View attachment 3470907

My windshield don’t crinkle crinkle, it folds (not actually my 40 but it shows the wiper motor box well in this pic).
(not my 40).
1699067837942.jpeg

Last edited:
Trying to relax while my HJ is at the mechanic getting a look over and possible rewiring, so I am already thinking of cool things to do.

One of those things is putting the spare tire on the bonnet/hood. Anyone done that? I would imagine it would make the hood rather difficult to lift! Do people put helpers like gas struts for that?

I really like that old school safari look... a lot, and it seems very much out of the way compared to the back or side, plus the weight hanging on a spare tire rack or door. Yes, I know it's more weight on the front, but with that heavy I6 diesel on there, I don;t think it really makes much of a difference.

Now, yes, it is a pickup and right now the spare tire rests in the bed, strapped to the rear window guard, but eventually this will have a camper box and the tire will need to go elsewhere. I am a diehard pizzacutter aficionado and currently have basically 33x10R16s. If they made a 33x7R16 I would go with that!!!

i thought it would be kool to finally lower my 1/80 FJ40LV-KCJA usa-spec , the same day i got the quicki-tags and registration , via the new private-owned MVA authorized tag and title place down the road , no lines no loud speaker , " calling ticket #421 go to window #7 " crap to deal with .....:rolleyes:

- it had been more then a few years since i had lowered any 40 windshield down , let alone did not think out any part of the possible " maybe-stuff " that might whatever on a sweet summer night cruise home with the new chick i was dating , now wife ....

- and , a bit shwilly too i will admit 🍻🍻 . :D

- my dad told me there was a reason the germans wore clear safety goggles on there head or around there necks in every WWII movie we watched together growing up ....

- i found out the hard suffering way why i should never forget what dad told me and why , when a dragonfly impacted my face at approx. 40 ish MPH. i was lucky not to crash off the road and loose control of the truck etc ... Erin had to make here first Rodeo driving a FJ40 Land Cruiser to the local ER . my one eye had guts and splatter in it , and blood was caked to some translucent wings fragments all over my face .....

- got lucky no sight or vision loss , i will never ever cheat fate like that again like that , shwilly or not ..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom