Builds Shakira - The Colombian 1974 FJ43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like the inner patch is fiberglass.

Yeah, looks like your 43 originally had the same setup the 76 I have here (and @Ackcruisers has as well). You really should just cut that whole section of firewall skin out and weld in a section from a regular boosted truck, and add in a clutch pedal bucket from a "normal" +70. Then everything could just be "normal". That would be super worthwhile to just dive in and do right.

IMG_8891.jpeg

I had managed to acquire some of the parts needed for a heater/defroster. I thought that while I was doing the plumbing for the heater I might as well replace the leaking radiator and the cobbled thermostat housing. While that was all off I should just replace the water pump. Cleaned the block surfaces. Chased the threads. Blew out the dust and grime.

IMG_4718.jpeg

IMG_4719.jpeg

IMG_4721.jpeg

IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

Had a local radiator shop install a brass fitting from Grainger in the bottom of the new radiator from Cruiser Corps. I then could install a drain stem/valve from Cruiser Cult. Slick little setup. I made the mistake of thinking that the new radiator's drain hole would line up with the radiator frame and splash pan holes. Ended up enlarging both holes to get it all to line up. Live and learn.

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4730.jpeg

Last edited:
Sealed up the water pump and thermostat housing and let them sit overnight. Ground back the thermostat housing so I could install the fuel line clip. New hoses and clamps. Filled the system and haven't seen any leaks.
IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

Last edited:
Had some time to work on the fuel system in the cab. Five different types of bolts and screws were holding the gas tank cover on. That will take some work to replace the missing and broken nuts in the floor the next time I have the fuel tank out. Managed to replace the fuel level sending unit and the two fuel filler hoses.

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4756.jpeg

Last edited:
I was looking Shakira over while I am waiting for some orders to arrive when I noticed the front seats had their back cover panels riveted on. I just happen to have the screws and washers leftover from another project sitting on the shelf. Easy, little project that didn't cost much to do. Managed to weld up some extra holes in the panels. Pounded out some dents.

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom