Builds Shakira - The Colombian 1974 FJ43 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Managed to strip a portion of the red paint off the cowl. Waiting for warm weather this spring to touch it up.
Updated the hinge pins also.

IMG_4492 (1).jpg

IMG_4491 (1).jpg

IMG_4482 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you used a smoke wrench.😉

Went with a Remflex gasket. Hoping to soon be able to get the latest version of the Mark's Off Road/Downey header that @gonzopancho and @PabloCruise are producing. The exhaust on the truck is swiss cheese. One 90 degree turn is two mitered 45s welded together.

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4494 (1).jpg

IMG_4493 (1).jpg

IMG_0029.jpeg

Last edited:
The decking of the intake manifold didn't go as planned. While in the machine, the manifold popped free and the cutter took a huge chunk of material out. Went with a different one. Getting close to firing this engine back up.

IMG_4555.jpg

Almost completely unrelated question. Is Shakira still hot? 20 years ago, she was a smoke show.

Bought some new drum brake hardware and shoes for the rears from Cruiser Outfitters to go with the thicker drums from Mark's Offroad. Shaved down the tabs slightly so they would slide into the slots of the wheel cylinders. Otherwise it was a simple install.
Question for those who might know. Do I need to install longer studs now because I'm running thicker drums? There's no longer any thread beyond the lug nuts.

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone knows the answer to this question, please post up. Is the VIN tag normally located on the passenger fender just above the battery tray?
The data plate is on the passenger side of the firewall on my 1980 Colombian FJ43.

Believe there should also be a tag on the drivers door jam.
This is a US (NHSTA, I believe) requirement. A few other countries may also adhere, but in my experience, Colombia is not one of them.

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Looks like you've run into some infamous SA "trail repairs" - seems like you're staying relatively level-headed along the way. Keep it up. Looking forward to following along. Let me know if any comparison photos of my slightly newer rig would be helpful.

I cleaned up some fittings on the new intake manifold. Capped the nipple for the old brake booster. Purchased a nipple for the side port that allowed me to run a shorter line over to the brake booster.

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

Last edited:
I am wondering about the throttle rod and the odd angle as it goes to the carb. I’m thinking that the bracket at the carb is not the right version. It also has had material ground away to allow it to sit flat at the carb studs.

IMG_4583.jpeg

Matthew,

based on how close the ‘rib’ of your booster is to the hump in the center of the firewall, I’m going to hazard a guess that the truck wasn’t originally designed for rod linkage at all. Run a few image searches for other non-US firewalls and see what you come up with. Come to think of it, somebody else did post recently with a jacked up carb that had a firewall that looked like it had no provision for rod linkage.

As for the lug nuts, you’re fine with what you have. I had to install longer lug studs on my 45 because of aftermarket wheels. Then I got a set of stock wheels from @HKforte and had to run capped chrome lug nuts to keep my goofy long studs covered from the elements.😛

Matthew,

based on how close the ‘rib’ of your booster is to the hump in the center of the firewall, I’m going to hazard a guess that the truck wasn’t originally designed for rod linkage at all. Run a few image searches for other non-US firewalls and see what you come up with. Come to think of it, somebody else did post recently with a jacked up carb that had a firewall that looked like it had no provision for rod linkage.

As for the lug nuts, you’re fine with what you have. I had to install longer lug studs on my 45 because of aftermarket wheels. Then I got a set of stock wheels from @HKforte and had to run capped chrome lug nuts to keep my goofy long studs covered from the elements.😛
Thanks Mark. I will run with that suggestion. Looking closer, I am thinking this was not boosted brakes either. Everything seems so cramped.

If you're going to try and make rod linkage work, I have parts.
1705625650432.jpeg

If you're going to try and make rod linkage work, I have parts.
View attachment 3536399
Thanks Mark. I was looking at that picture in another thread yesterday. I think that the root problem is a PO added the brake booster. It throws the throttle linkage and the parking brake cable out of alignment. Trying decide if a different linkage setup gets me a smoother operating throttle or do I eliminate the booster.
IMG_0028.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I was looking at that picture in another thread yesterday. I think that the root problem is a PO added the brake booster. It throws the throttle linkage and the parking brake cable out of alignment. Trying decide if a different linkage setup gets me a smoother operating throttle or do I eliminate the booster.
View attachment 3536691
You didn’t ask my opinion, but I have one. If you’re happy with the brakes, leave well enough alone and convert the carb to run with a cable. A lot of ROW 2Fs came that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom