Builds Shakira - The Colombian 1974 FJ43 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to scavenge some vacuum advance hose off the carb to distributor line. Wondering who has that for sale and is it special in any way? Size diameter? I'd like to run it back out of the way along the hard fuel line.

I had to scavenge some vacuum advance hose off the carb to distributor line. Wondering who has that for sale and is it special in any way? Size diameter? I'd like to run it back out of the way along the hard fuel line.
I’ve had good luck with that sort of thing from BelMetric.

Maybe use a caliper to determine the right ID.

You can actually get OE vacuum hose from Toyota. If memory serves, this application from a 60 series is the correct length-

Screenshot_20230705_060352_Firefox~2.jpg

You can actually get OE vacuum hose from Toyota. If memory serves, this application from a 60 series is the correct length-

View attachment 3538175
1705857516423.png

@kunzma, Here is the size chart copied from another post. 92008 is the longest length available from Mr. T and cut to length

Limped her off the car carrier and up to the garage. Really need to look her over to see what I want to do for her. I have a desire to do a smaller budget version of what the FJ Company has been doing to the Fj43s that they sell. Clean, simple, sound.

Wheels for certain. New 15" rims with tall skinnies. Swap out the front turn signals for some early round ones. I like the original side mirrors more than the 80's version.

View attachment 3513560
What brand and size tires did you go with? Looks Nice!

I got the fuel pump running. Replaced some old rubber fuel line. Truck now fires up immediately and runs well. Need to dial it in a bit, but very pleased. Found several holes in the radiator. Thought I might get away with not doing a bunch of cooling repairs, but no such luck.

IMG_4600.jpeg

Can you post a wide picture showing the clutch master, booster, brake master etc, and a picture of the pedal bucket underneath the dash (if it has one?)

Can you post a wide picture showing the clutch master, booster, brake master etc, and a picture of the pedal bucket underneath the dash (if it has one?)
I had this truck at my shop to inspect before it got sold off to the new owner. someone welded a new plate under the dash to make the booster work,

I am glad this rig is getting some much needed love. I almost bought it while it was here at my shop for sale but have too many projects going on. This seemed to be a good base vehicle that needed some work. Engine was rebuild by someone, south of here. It had really good compression but needed carb work, as Mark pointed out. I did not do much to it as it was for sale and owner did not want to put much in it. Mods are looking good, getting it back to a more "stockish" look. I am sure it will be a really nice rig once it gets sorted out. I am looking forward to watching the progress on this one.

going through this now with a 76 here that came in for a booster/dual circuit conversion.
For whatever reason Toyota moved the clutch master over more then the full width of the master cylinder body, so no regular sized booster fits. Green 40 is Costa Rican 76, Blue 40 is USA 76
If this truck wasn’t actually painted nicely I would cut and graft the firewall.
@kunzma is this what your firewall looks like?

9A2A412E-5FA4-4379-B69F-7FCCD0B4CA45.jpeg
D3A3C95B-5819-4E15-BBFA-64605A318F88.jpeg

@cruisermatt
Here are some pictures of the firewall. The booster seems to me to be the root of the problem. I think the booster is an oversized replacement. They moved the throttle linkage over on the passenger side of the booster and moved the clutch over on the driver's side to accommodate the booster.

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

@cruisermatt
Here are some pictures of the firewall. The booster seems to me to be the root of the problem. I think the booster is an oversized replacement. They moved the throttle linkage over on the passenger side of the booster and moved the clutch over on the driver's side to accommodate the booster.

View attachment 3542361

View attachment 3542362
Am I seeing things or has that booster ripped through the corroded firewall?

Am I seeing things or has that booster ripped through the corroded firewall?
Double walled, maybe. Or, added a plate to the firewall. Then, cut the inner wall back to get to the nuts and bolts. I will know more when I remove the booster.

The spacer needs good firewall to bolt to and flex from brakes & clutch is real. Strip everything, weld steel in where needed and rebuild, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom