Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, the plastic corner piece bolts to the bracket circled in blue, that then bolts to the bracket that is cut off the frame. Afterwards the blue cirlce bracket will be bolted to the new tire carrier frame mount after being modified.

Everyone should have gotten their packages by now. I had one report of a package destroyed by UPS. Looks like it was thrown out of the airplane 🤦‍♂️. How did everyone else's arrive? Initial impressions? Let us know how the install goes!

I received mine. No damage to the carrier, but the big outer box was torn up in a few places from the carrier moving around inside.

Same story as mine. Bought a new angle grinder to cut my bracket off. Hopefully will install this weekend
The arm on my tire carrier fully punched through the box and arrived sitting with the welded in bolts directly on my driveway. I got it powder coated and it looks great. There does not seem to be any noticeable damage, only thing that I could think of is the bolts being ever so slightly bent, but I doubt it. GGM, it seemed to me the box itself was too large with a lack of padding to fill up the empty space, so I think the tire carrier had room to slide from one side of the box to the other, and with it being heavy the box gets beat to piss. The positive thing is the way the carrier was manufactured you could likely throw it off a 3 story building and it would still work perfect. My powder coater said it was "over-built" for a tire carrier, I said "perfect". Cheers

1.png

2.png

3.png

I ordered a ton of packing materials today to prevent this from happening again. I apologize for the troubles, I'm learning. I appreciate the feedback! It's looking great so far! I see you were one of the first five orders and got a free gift👍.

Sent mine off to powder coat today. I color matched it to the cladding on my LX450. Will post pictures when I get it back. Lookin forward to seeing it completed and on the Beast.

and yes.. If there is a nuclear exchange.. I am going to hide under my tire carrier... I am pretty sure it will survive. :cheers:

Would anyone be interested in a weld it yourself option?

We designed this carrier to be easily manufacturable with minimal tooling. Though we have fixtures to make things faster and repeatable, it is a doable project for a competent welder with basic tools. The pieces have alignment slots and tabs for holding in place built in.

Definitely interested but I'm curious: In looking at the pictures, the carrier seems to lock in the trailer hitch? Is that correct? Is this required? I'm asking because I have a trailer I tow from time to time (Pop up tent trailer).

Thanks!

Definitely interested but I'm curious: In looking at the pictures, the carrier seems to lock in the trailer hitch? Is that correct? Is this required? I'm asking because I have a trailer I tow from time to time (Pop up tent trailer).

Thanks!
The tire carrier does use the 4 holes in the factory crossmemeber for the latch. So it will not work with any mount that uses those holes. However, it will work with a tow bar that is frame mounted.

The LX in the pictures did not have a tow bar installed.

I will have to look closer at this, I took a quick look under that side and I think it would fit fine. I got a very rough shipping quote and it was around $500-$600 but I can explore more options if that is something you may still be interested in.

It's super cool to us that people on the other side of the world are interested in this!
Thanks!
I'm in Portland and interested in a passenger side mount if possible!

The tire carrier does use the 4 holes in the factory crossmemeber for the latch. So it will not work with any mount that uses those holes. However, it will work with a tow bar that is frame mounted.

The LX in the pictures did not have a tow bar installed.
Oh, great! And thanks for the fast reply!

My '97 has the 4 holes in the bumper AND THEN a tow bar under the bumper.

She's going in the shop next monday for a windshield gasket R/R so when that day comes, I'll take a photo of how mine is. If you can work with that, I'll most likely place an order!

I really like the stock bumper and have been looking for an option to still utilize it.

Also, on the front winch plate you have, what kind of cutting of the stock bumper is needed? Just the cable connect area with hook in the center?

Thanks!

Reactions: GGM
Oh, great! And thanks for the fast reply!

My '97 has the 4 holes in the bumper AND THEN a tow bar under the bumper.

She's going in the shop next monday for a windshield gasket R/R so when that day comes, I'll take a photo of how mine is. If you can work with that, I'll most likely place an order!

I really like the stock bumper and have been looking for an option to still utilize it.

Also, on the front winch plate you have, what kind of cutting of the stock bumper is needed? Just the cable connect area with hook in the center?

Thanks!
It should work fine then with the tow bar under the bumper.

At this time I can only offer driver side mounting unless you want to weld it yourself.

On the winch plate, its on my to do list to cut up the factory bumper and see what it would take. A portion of the bottom is going to have to be cut off. I think it's certainly doable though. I will try to get to that by next week.
Another option we have been kicking around for a affordable winch bumper.... Affordable & Lightweight 80 Series Front Bumper Option - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/affordable-lightweight-80-series-front-bumper-option.1297961/

I’m interested in driver and passenger side swing out mounts, and the middle attachment. I’d then look into making something to attach. Without the side mounts, there’s no way to attach anything securely to the rear other than via the hitch.

Reactions: GGM
Currently only offering a driver side mount. If there is enough interest in a passenger side mount I will make them to order.

The carrier will not work with both sides installed.

I'm working on accessory mounting options like a table, rotopax style mount that will allow a mount next to the tire, etc. (open to other suggestions)

Currently only offering a driver side mount. If there is enough interest in a passenger side mount I will make them to order.

The carrier will not work with both sides installed.

I'm working on accessory mounting options like a table, rotopax style mount that will allow a mount next to the tire, etc. (open to other suggestions)
Highly interested in a table accessory, and I think the rotopax mount would sell as well. I would think one of the easier things to make a mount for would be a Hi-Lift Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom