Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those that need a spare tire carrier but don't want to spend thousands on a new bumper, here's the solution. These pictures are of the first prototype, minor changes may be made.

View attachment 3131566View attachment 3131567View attachment 3131568View attachment 3131579

This kit is mostly bolt on, a hole will need to be drilled through the bumper plastic and some of the plastic on the middle of LX models (as shown). There are also 2 threaded holes on the frame of 93-97 models that were used. 91 and 92 model years will require a bracket to be cut off the frame and 2 holes to be drilled. NO WELDING NECESSARY.

Features:

CNC cut from ¼” USA steel, designed and assembled in Tampa Florida.

Kit includes all hardware needed for installation. Grade 8 or equivalent mounting hardware. Lug nuts not included.

Locking latch handle.

Greaseable roller bearing spindle

Will be shipped bare, unpainted; however, I am looking into powder coat and LineX bedliner options.

Fits up to a 37” tire without blocking the tail lights

The swinging portion is about 45 pounds and the entire assembly is about 65.

Happy to post more pictures or answer any questions. Any feedback is welcomed. I will keep this thread up to date on any changes or additions.

Price is $820 shipped domestically.
Firstly, thank you SO much for designing, building, and offering this setup to the community! As many others have noted, it's great to see an enthusiast finally bring something rugged and affordable to the market. I plan to purchase one by the end of the week, just had a quick question.
Once the swinging mount is open, is there a mechanism to lock it into the open position? Perhaps a dowel pin, or hood strut? Given the declared swingarm weight of 45lbs, in addition to the spare tire/rim weight (est. 75lbs for me), one could have upwards of 120lbs slamming back against the rig or worse into themselves if not on flat ground.

Firstly, thank you SO much for designing, building, and offering this setup to the community! As many others have noted, it's great to see an enthusiast finally bring something rugged and affordable to the market. I plan to purchase one by the end of the week, just had a quick question.
Once the swinging mount is open, is there a mechanism to lock it into the open position? Perhaps a dowel pin, or hood strut? Given the declared swingarm weight of 45lbs, in addition to the spare tire/rim weight (est. 75lbs for me), one could have upwards of 120lbs slamming back against the rig or worse into themselves if not on flat ground.
I'm glad the community recognizes and supports the efforts!🍻

Currently, no there is nothing to stop the swinging portion, I packed a lot of features into this design but I haven't found a easy and economical solution to a stop. HOWEVER, there are holes all over this thing. If you would like to add a strut,limit strap or something similar there's many features you could work off of.

I may have something in the future as a add on.

Thanks!

Currently, no there is nothing to stop the swinging portion, I packed a lot of features into this design but I haven't found a easy and economical solution to a stop. HOWEVER, there are holes all over this thing. If you would like to add a strut,limit strap or something similar there's many features you could work off of.

Thanks!
I'm definitely interested...and if the tire has to stay on the DS that's fine with me.

Any chance of a can holder on the PS?

Also, thanks for setting this all up!

I'm definitely interested...and if the tire has to stay on the DS that's fine with me.

Any chance of a can holder on the PS?

Also, thanks for setting this all up!
Any additions will be attached to the tire carrier and not independent. Right now I am working on the model for a couple different configurations to hold a rotopax tank and a license plate.

These are ROUGH models and subject to change. Here are a couple concepts for mounts for a rotopax container. Open to feedback, what do you think?

*edit* The first mount has slots to adjust it closer to the tire. It's at it's max setting in the picture.

The next project is a table, I know a few people have requested that too.

tire carrier with side pack.JPG
tire carrier with double mount.JPG

Last edited:
I dig it!

Reactions: GGM
I am all over that!!!

I think this idea is awesome and the ability to hold 2 with Rotopax's being so small is crucial IMO.

I imagine the table would be on the inside of the tire and flip down from flat against the tire.

These are ROUGH models and subject to change. Here are a couple concepts for mounts for a rotopax container. Open to feedback, what do you think?

*edit* The first mount has slots to adjust it closer to the tire. It's at it's max setting in the picture.

The next project is a table, I know a few people have requested that too.

View attachment 3162955View attachment 3162956
Great design. I’m all about the drop down table!

Thanks!
Any chance you or a recent buy could post a short video of the opening & closing action of the mount?

I should be installing one on Friday. I'll get some better pictures and videos then.

I will be doing a full YouTube video on the install on my Channel Cruisin’ Miles. (Shameless plug) Just waiting for Southern California weather to go back to normal. It’s weird, there is water falling from the sky over here. Strange phenomenon.

Also finishing up a couple other videos, but an install and review of this awesome swingout will be coming.

I should be installing one on Friday. I'll get some better pictures and videos then.
When I p[ick one up, I'd be happy to do a review of it also!

Unlike @Cruisin4Miles, right now, up here in PDX it's deceptively clear and nice :D

This looks like a really cool option. I have a different kit (that I am very happy with), I'd be curious to see what your take on a jerry can swing out would look like. Your design seems pretty awesome as a "bare plate" starting point for bolt-on stuff. As a small shop, you might not want to get into the weeds like that, but I'd still welcome your thoughts.

This looks like a really cool option. I have a different kit (that I am very happy with), I'd be curious to see what your take on a jerry can swing out would look like. Your design seems pretty awesome as a "bare plate" starting point for bolt-on stuff. As a small shop, you might not want to get into the weeds like that, but I'd still welcome your thoughts.
Thanks! I can certainly design something but I'm only going to dive into it if there's enough interest to support the project.

I'm working on some "universal" mounts that fit through the spare tire to fit cans and things that might even work for your setup (as seen in the post above) I'm always open to suggestions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom