Bits left over after reassembling engine - started yesterday, still a few mysteries though (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1821.jpg

agreement I had with the machine shop was that I supply the parts and they do the work (they said parts were hard to get). So I got the cam, gears, lifters, pistons, rings and seal/gasket set and dropped it all off. when I got it back there was a few bits left over, some of which I've identified and fitted. this is what is left over. Can anyone figure out what they are for please?

Yes, I could ask the shop but they had someone else do it and they didn't seem to want me to talk to them direct. shop seems to have a good reputation with other mechanics in the area though.

ran it up yesterday and it went OK, until I drove it and it died. waking up this morning I realized I'd neglected to put the fuel pump insulator on - found the pump with the arm snapped off, managed to catch the broke off arm before it fell into the sump tho - new pump ordered - now I know what one of the left over parts was for

2nd mystery - when I tried to time it with a light gun I couldn't see the BB at any angle of the distributor - followed the manual for angle of arm etc. could be wrong as I am very inexperienced

Assuming you're talking about a rebuilt 2F motor....

Big gasket is for the thermostat housing

Small copper washer is the gasket for the fuel inlet fitting on the carb

Round fiber gasket might be for the oil pan drain plug

Bent piece of metal with a plastidipped end appears to be a wiring harness retainer that fits on the top of the transmission to hold the wire for the reverse sensor. It could also be the wire retainer at the very rear bottom corner of the side cover - near the starter and timing window. I might be wrong about this one.

No clue on the two metal bushings

For the BB on the flywheel, put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and chock the wheels, go underneath the truck, remove the clutch cover, rotate the motor by hand by rotating the flywheel, find the BB. Now paint it with a paint pen in some kind of bright color. Paint in the dot itself or around it, whatever makes it more visible. I painted my TDC line as well. You'll have a much easier time finding it. As always thanks to some Mud post from 20 years ago for showing me that.

The split spacer I would think it might go in the block as an alignment dowl solid spacer hmm not sure. @CruiserTrash I think nailed the rest of it
Is that the alignment dowel that (there are two of them) go between the head and the block?

Over at my shop working tonight and took a peek at my extra block… that sure looks like an alignment thing in your photo.

AFCA5E58-E20F-4013-89C0-D4DA2D3E7763.jpeg

Assuming you're talking about a rebuilt 2F motor....

Big gasket is for the thermostat housing

Small copper washer is the gasket for the fuel inlet fitting on the carb

Round fiber gasket might be for the oil pan drain plug

Bent piece of metal with a plastidipped end appears to be a wiring harness retainer that fits on the top of the transmission to hold the wire for the reverse sensor. It could also be the wire retainer at the very rear bottom corner of the side cover - near the starter and timing window. I might be wrong about this one.

No clue on the two metal bushings

For the BB on the flywheel, put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and chock the wheels, go underneath the truck, remove the clutch cover, rotate the motor by hand by rotating the flywheel, find the BB. Now paint it with a paint pen in some kind of bright color. Paint in the dot itself or around it, whatever makes it more visible. I painted my TDC line as well. You'll have a much easier time finding it. As always thanks to some Mud post from 20 years ago for showing me that.
Thanks - I'll do this.

If I hadn't got the distributor insertion angle just right when putting it in, could that be another reason I can't see the BB in the window?

if I don't have the block alignment dowels in - is that a big problem?

The two metal rings/ spacers, hold the coolant pipe off the side of the block, above side cover.

Well, one of them is , anyway. There should be two

oil cooler.JPG

Last edited:
EDIT

Yes, there are two studs on the side of the block that hold the Side Cover and heater pipe, as per pic above 87249B. Those spacers go between the pipe mounting flange and the block. It's so the pipe flange doesn't hit the cover lip

Last edited:
Yes, there are two studs on the side of the cylinder head that hold the top coolant pipe. Those spacers go between the pipe mounting flange and the head. It's so the pipe flange doesn't hit the valve cover lip
Never seen that, though I've only had early 60s so there may be a change to later ones. The brackets that bolt the pipe to the head are welded to the head on the ones I've seen. No spacer, bolt the brackets right down to the head with 2x 10mm bolts. Plenty of clearance.

I'd love to see a photo if you got one - maybe mine have always been missing and I need to get some in there!

Maybe every time I've removed that pipe, the spacers stay on the studs and I've never paid attention to them! I'm going to have a look at my 60 today.

Sorry, I was TOTALLY mis-remembering (it's been a long time). :bang: :cautious:

Spacers go on the pipe just above the distributor, on the studs to mount the side-cover.

IMG_20240130_103608739_HDR.jpg

if I don't have the block alignment dowels in - is that a big problem?
I don't know. I've never tried it. Do we know you don't have them? Do new ones come in a gasket kit? One would think that the head bolts would align the head adequately anyway.

I don't know. I've never tried it. Do we know you don't have them? Do new ones come in a gasket kit? One would think that the head bolts would align the head adequately anyway.
Me either... I do know when I had a head done for a customer I had to go back and get a little machine work done where they go into the head just to make sure they didn't bottom out and not clamp the head and gasket down completely.

View attachment 3545067

2nd mystery - when I tried to time it with a light gun I couldn't see the BB at any angle of the distributor -
So, with the engine running, you rotated the body of the dizzy back and forth and could not see the BB with the timing light? In that case you probably need to re-stab the dizzy one tooth over one way or another.

Hopefully the shop didn't put rtv (instead of gasket) where the lower thermostat gasket goes. Hopefully they had another set of gaskets and so it was just ordered extra. That would be an issue I would fix. Also I would assume that they didn't put the top gasket on the thermostat either because most vehicles don't have this. Ask them if they put the round gasket (16346) between the top of the thermostat and the housing outlet (16331).

1706705479261.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom