FJ62 cranks, won't start after working on throttle body. No check engine light. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could use any ideas on my FJ62 cranking but not starting. Here's some background:

1988 FJ62, 396k miles on the truck, ~170k miles on the engine. Owned and daily driven for 10 years.
Duel battery setup, in case it matters.

Truck had been bogging during acceleration consistently. I suspected many things, including vacuum leak, dirty fuel and air filters, and dirty throttle body. I've actually been driving the auto transmission more like a manual the last couple months, and the truck drives great at highway speeds.

Replaced all vacuum hoses about 9 months ago.
Finally got around to removing the throttle body and cleaned it. It was dirty, but I've seen worse. Put on a new dry gasket when I reinstalled the TB.
I did not removed the TPS from the throttle body, and only disconnected the wiring when I removed the TB from the engine.
I put the intake back together from the air filter to the throttlebody, and am confident that all the hoses, connectors, and throttle cables are back where they are supposed to be.

New air filter installed.

I've got at least a quarter tank of gas.

After reassembly of the air intake, the truck will crank but the engine will not start. There is also no check engine light.

I used a DIY smoke tester to smoke the the engine. No notable leaks.

I replaced the ignition coil, and distributor cap. Distributor cables are all pretty new.

Removed circuit opening relay and tested it. It tested fine.

Removed and tested main (EFI?) relay, and it also tested fine.

Checked fuse panel, no blown fuses.

I think it's a spark issue, not a fuel supply issue.

Next up may be to test the AFM circuits and ECU circuits. I'm pretty novice on car electrical, but following the FSM.

I will say that I did not think to disconnect the batteries when working on the air intake, and don't know if that could have fried a connection somewhere. I recently disconnected both of my batteries for about 10 minutes, Hoping that might reset the ECU.

The weird thing is the truck was daily driving right before I worked on the intake, so I'm wondering if I just missed something really dumb, or if I may have gotten unlucky with something totally unrelated failing. Again, no check engine light when the key is in the ON position.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Also double check ALL the sensors and connectors on the thermostat housing.
There’s some data coming from them I believe that goes into the EFI system…just thinking at it.

Also double check ALL the sensors and connectors on the thermostat housing.
There’s some data coming from them I believe that goes into the EFI system…just thinking at it.
Maybe just a visual check n the connectors, or any specific voltage/resistance? Haven’t seen anything I the FSM, but will keep looking.

Maybe just a visual check n the connectors, or any specific voltage/resistance? Haven’t seen anything I the FSM, but will keep looking.
Visual check first.
If anything looks wonky, there should be some testing procedures in the FSM for the coolant temp sensor, and some other sensors on the thermostat housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom