Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm, SO AM I :)

Hey mate,
I know what you mean about biting off more than you can chew. Just keep plodding along and you'll get it done. A car is much more time consuming to build than a house, so don't be hard on yourself. In a house you have a smaller amount of components that are not subject to rust and vibration, the margin for error is mostly centimetres not millimeters, and you can get everything you need in a flash from the local hardware store very cheaply and without hours on the net researching what you need to make sure you don't die at high speed as a result of your own mistakes!

Can you get your son interested without promising it to him?Working together is the best father son time as well I reckon.

Keep up the good work mate!

Thanks Damo,
It's frustration talking I suppose. Hard when you see guys ripping out engines and replacing them, then wondering what their gunna do for the rest of the arvo. Best part of the build was working with my son in the shed, albeit on our own projects. He moved out about 2 or so months ago, was for the best.

Thanks for the encouragement. :beer:

As I'm cleaning up the shed I've been putting some stuff on the car rather than pack it away and try and find it at the other end later.
Cleaned out the door internals and applied some sound deadener I had left over.

IMG_5757.JPG

!/4 glass runners and framework

IMG_5756.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

Fittings for the 1/4 glass and frame
IMG_5766.JPG

I realised I was not going to find the time to build my own front bar so about 6 weeks ago I spoke to MCC Bullbars here in Australia about a single loop bullbar for my car. They only do triple loop for my age 70 series, but do a single loop for the 76 and 79 series which I prefer, so after some discussion (me bothering them for a couple a weeks and sending them some photos of my build) they decided to do a run for my year 70 series considering the amount of 70 series that age here in Australia. They were also good enough to do it for the off the shelf price of the other single loops.
The production run is still about 4-5 weeks away and can not wait to fit it off to the car. The winch I purchased a long time ago may not fit, but the bar was more important to me and I got the winch for a great price off Gumtree so if I have to sell it to get a lower winch so be it.
It is winch rated

MPWR-16810.jpg

I realised I was not going to find the time to build my own front bar so about 6 weeks ago I spoke to MCC Bullbars here in Australia about a single loop bullbar for my car.
View attachment 1800938
good idea, its costing me a good couple of weeks to make my own bar exactly he way i wanted it.

Not much going on, just Nibblin away between packing up the shed and house..... The sh!t you collect when your doing a car build is unbelievable. Lucky I have a long settlement on my house! Probably have a "left over parts" sale soon.

My front bar turned up with a triple loop and a single loop, so I'll work out the configuration later once I settle down in our new digs.

IMG_5792.JPG

I also threw some 2pac on my old TOYOTA front emblem using my white and black satin paint as it was already taped up and sitting on a shelf.
IMG_5821.JPG

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Started working on my windows. Concentrating on whatever it will take to get him registered, whilst still packing up the shed.

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

Cleaned my old windows but found they were scratched too bad.

IMG_5858.JPG

Got the new glass locally as Amayama will not deliver glass.

IMG_5966.JPG

It hurt but I couldn't wait till February for the steel channel from Amayama for $18.00 so I paid $84.20 from the local stealership..........local jobs and all, just don't think I should be paying for everyone.

IMG_5967.JPG

My ABS plastic door cards turned up. Very happy with them. They have a leather grain pattern pressed into the sheets. I'm working as a production programmer at a cabinetmaking firm ATM and was thinking of buying some plain ABS sheets and creating a programme to run the routing through our CNC machines. I only needed the front door cards so would have had 1/2 the sheet left over, not to mention the time involved and the trial and error of the first runs. The cards delivered to my door were about the same price as the whole sheet, so it was a no brainer really. Hopefully fit them up over next couple of weeks, depending on the window install. They come with matching fasteners, but I might change them to St/St button head socket screws.
(The dusty marks is the sun shinning through the tree leaves)

IMG_5932 (1).JPG

My aluminium red TURBO badge also turned up.

IMG_5944.JPG

Just got to figure out how to mount them to my grille

IMG_5945.JPG

My winch that I thought might not fit, fits by about a bees dick and just lines up with the winch mounting holes in the re-enforced frame.

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

There wasn't enough room for a nut between the winch and the back of the bar to hold the aluminium hawse on so I drilled and tapped through the bar and the re-enforced winch framing (about 8mm thick)

IMG_5958.JPG

Next problem was when the aluminium hawse was fitted my number plate didn't fit, it made it too high for the existing holes in the bar so I made a St/St bracket to screw through the existing holes in the bar and space the number plate off the bar to allowing for it not to hit the button heads holding the winch on and creating room for the nuts to hold the number plate.
The ironic thing is I threw most of my St/St brackets and plates away a week ago because my motto for the cleanup (code for my wife told me to) was if I haven't used it for 5 or more years throw it.

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

I know I could of gone HJ73 but to me Frank has always been an FJ73......just with a 12HT transplant.
I also like the contradiction and keeping people guessing as to what exactly he is?

IMG_5964.JPG

Just wanted you to know, billy, your truck is goals... I'd like mine to look like yours someday.

Just wanted you to know, billy, your truck is goals... I'd like mine to look like yours someday.
Cheers man, nice of you to say:beer:

You started off this thread saying you were not a mechanic or panel beater

I know right!, the harder it gets, the more my OCD tendencies flare up. Hopefully what I have learnt will come in handy on the tracks.

Hey Damo, hope your doin well buddy.
Talking about you the other day, some of my friends are trying to get a group of us together to go to Machu Picchu towards end of next year?

Here's the link. Great people to deal with.
Toyota Land Cruiser 75, 78, 79 Series ABS Door Trim Panels. Rugged & Waterproof. | eBay

cheers mate...

cool bananas man, I would be very happy to hook you up and travel with you guys. I recommend October or November, tourist off-season and the weather is just right to see the entire country without too many weather issues.

So, got some wheels the other day and striking off items in prep of registration.
16 x 8 neg 22 Allied Thunder polished alloys with 285/7516R K02 BFG all terrains. Drives real nice.

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

Got these in the mail, running short of time so some are after market. Just decorative stuff needed for road worthy.
Amazing how much difference the door check pins make. I attempted twice to modify some cap screws, but nothing worked as good as the taper and spring pin action.

IMG_5998.JPG

Clean up a couple of existing items. The front door window seals must have been replaced when the previous owner did a botch up paint job so I cleaned the old paint off the rubber.

IMG_6010.JPG

Clean up the windscreen wiper motor which still worked.

IMG_6001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom