Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to have a 3 Month break from the build and catch up on some home maintenance that I've neglected over the years since this build started.
I've kept purchasing bits and pieces though and now I have a few days in the shed so hopefully push it a long some more.

New - old stock Rear sliding window from a 75-79 series Landcruiser.

IMG_5441 (1).JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

Picked up tray for dry fit.

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

Working on the drawer frames, tray support, sub box and lower back wall so we have somewhere to fix electronics.

Love the person hiding while holding the window

What a cool idea to seal off the cab! But yeah, you can never really leave home topless in QLD in summer and expect to get home without a downpour, so I understand the motive!

Love the person hiding while holding the window

Aahh yes, that is my son..... he was reluctant to hold the window but I assured him he doesn't look stupid and that no one would even notice.
I'll let him know you said Hi.

What a cool idea to seal off the cab! But yeah, you can never really leave home topless in QLD in summer and expect to get home without a downpour, so I understand the motive!

I love the proportions of the Mid wheel base over any of the other 70 series, so a 75 series ute or longer wagon was out for me, just personal choice of coarse and I prefer them without the FRP top and feel I will get more use out of it this way. That said the heavy rain is a concern but its also the heat and dust in summer. You cant drive around without your aircon on so keeping the cool in and the heat and dust out was also a concern especially on longer hauls.
The whole modification for the rear cargo area has been done using all factory holes and mounting points apart from one M6 nutsert to the middle support. My main aim is to be able to still use the FRP top when I want (partly for security of goods and weather) on longer trips.

This is where I drilled the extra hole for strength, because of cantilever on the drawers when fully extended.

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

Tapped out the threaded holes and plugged them with a bolt and nylon washer along with some blanking grommets for the smaller holes.

IMG_5462.JPG

I made brackets to marry existing holes with the frame work.

IMG_5463.JPG

I also had the windscreen fitted.

IMG_5454.JPG

To finish the cab I had to fit 1 1/2 sheets of sound deadener and locate the seat belt holes in the floor

IMG_5446.JPG

I had the local locksmith key my new Ebay locks to my old key.

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5478.JPG

I worked the height of the tray out using the air compressor.

IMG_5481.JPG

the 1/8" thick vinyl backed trim I used for the back board was cut into 1" strips and put in between the aluminium frames and the floor to help with vibration wearing paint down and creating contact between the aluminium and the steel body.
I found by lifting the tray an extra 1/4 inch more than I really needed I would be able to use the 8.5mm holes in the mid brace above the wheel arch for M6 nutserts to help strengthen the frame.

IMG_5482.JPG

The rear loading space will be exposed to the elements so I have created a drain using the slots in the deck, falling into a totally enclosed internal gutter that is tack welded to the bottom of the deck, then sealed with a polyurethane sealant.

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Pressed in a couple of 90 deg plastic elbows and some sealant .

IMG_5487.JPG

The tray has a 35mm edges running right down both sides and 160 odd mm front so the only exit is the slots in the tray.
There will be a rubber seal between the back doors and the tray.
A hose connected to the plastic elbows will exit out the 2 big holes in each corner of the body floor where your socket goes to remove the body bush bolts.

IMG_5491.JPG

Sealed the 12mm ply backboard before gluing a vinyl carpet to the inside. The outside will be skinned in aluminium when I fit the window.

IMG_5501.JPG

Modified a thin sub my son had lying around. Its designed to go behind ute seats. I kept the front because of the rounded soft corners, and modified the back and bottom to fit the space under the tray. Fully glued screwed and sealed. I'm not sure why the tube was fitted to the middle of the sub on the original, but I put it back in as I'm sure Pioneer Knew what they were doing.

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

started prepping some exterior parts for the new satin black that I will use for all the bar work.

IMG_5515.JPG

I ended up going with A.O.B brand - Carling rocker switches.
I had to remove about 1.5mm from the sides,top and bottom of the factory cut outs with a carbide bur. Wasn't keen on the bright blue or green style switches as I prefer the duller look gauges and wanted the switches to blend in more so went with these.

IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

The face of the switches are a perfect fit for the factory mould impression its just the body cut out needs widening.

IMG_5538.JPG

Before I can register my car here in Queensland I need an engineers certificate to approve some modifications.
Sorted that last week!!

IMG_5519.JPG

Also started running the gauge pod wires, we'll have heaps of wires to run so my son put a 20mm conduit in to allow for more later.

IMG_5535.JPG

Fitted the grille to my scoop.

IMG_5583.JPG

Don't mind seeing the white behind the bonnet scoop grille but don't like seeing it through the radiator grille. I tried a piece of fine silver mesh behind it to see if I could get rid of the white background but you could still see through it at certain angles so I'll have to paint it black.

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

Just fitted the door scuffs I had pressed up a while ago and the rear stone guards on the flares, just not taken any photos yet.

IMG_5590.JPG

I’d like to say I’ve done some more work on my car, but to be honest I’m struggling to find the energy and the will to push forward. I think over the last 18 months I’ve been lucky to have spent an hour a week. Life has finally caught up to me.

I’m used to biting off more than I can chew, but I think I brought a meat cleaver and freezer along for this one.
I was in my late 20s when I built this, and it was a walk in the park compared to my car build.

House exterior.JPG

kitchen.JPG

The car build is something entirely different and foreign to me, it does my head in ad libbing and making it up as I go along, doing a little bit here and there then ordering a bit more and so on. I must take my hat off to people who can do this.

The reason for the delay is I have been prepping my latest property for the market over the last year, which has taken up most of my time and now I’m busy packing everything up as it has sold.

image2.jpg

main.jpg

image3.jpg

I am still nibbling at the car, but it feels like a spit in the ocean.

I think I’ll have to shelf the car for a few months as we will probably move back into town for our next project but most waterfront properties advertised with a “workshop” consists of a Freakin small alcove at the back of a carport with a timber bench and vice…. I hate real estate lingo!

Before I pack up I thought I would do a walk around video of where I’m at.

I’d like to say I’ve done some more work on my car, but to be honest I’m struggling to find the energy and the will to push forward. I think over the last 18 months I’ve been lucky to have spent an hour a week. Life has finally caught up to me.

I’m used to biting off more than I can chew, but I think I brought a meat cleaver and freezer along for this one.
I was in my late 20s when I built this, and it was a walk in the park compared to my car build.

View attachment 1792914

View attachment 1792915

The car build is something entirely different and foreign to me, it does my head in ad libbing and making it up as I go along, doing a little bit here and there then ordering a bit more and so on. I must take my hat off to people who can do this.

The reason for the delay is I have been prepping my latest property for the market over the last year, which has taken up most of my time and now I’m busy packing everything up as it has sold.

View attachment 1792916

View attachment 1792917

View attachment 1792918

I am still nibbling at the car, but it feels like a spit in the ocean.

I think I’ll have to shelf the car for a few months as we will probably move back into town for our next project but most waterfront properties advertised with a “workshop” consists of a Freakin small alcove at the back of a carport with a timber bench and vice…. I hate real estate lingo!

Before I pack up I thought I would do a walk around video of where I’m at.

Some amazing property there. We once "restored" a house...oy...gutted an old rural school house, a lot down to the frame. Thats A LOT of work. Never again, but had we held on to 1~2 years longer we would have over doubled our profits. :(

I agree with the real estate lingo...
bungalow = cramped and small
shop = can mean 4x8 shed for your lawn mower.
Unique = the builder or previous owners made some terrible design decisions
minutes from everything = can mean up to 59 minutes from anything

We are 12 minutes outside of town on 10 acres and the nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away. I have a 40x80 "shop" that apparently fills itself with more stuff all time...

Good luck on the sale, those look killer! The cruiser looks fantastic. Keep at it!

G'Day Fella's,

Billy, over the years/decades, I've found that the last 25%, and then the last 10% of any big job, are the hardest.
I just have a chat with myself, then get my head around the job at hand, and get into it and roll it over/finish it.

Your LC is looking impressive at the moment mate, so imaging how Great it will be, once it's finished and you can Cruise around in it.

Hope that helps Cobber.

HooRoo for now
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Billy, over the years/decades, I've found that the last 25%, and then the last 10% of any big job, are the hardest.
I just have a chat with myself, then get my head around the job at hand, and get into it and roll it over/finish it.

Your LC is looking impressive at the moment mate, so imaging how Great it will be, once it's finished and you can Cruise around in it.

Hope that helps Cobber.

HooRoo for now
Homer

So true Homes,
it's amazing how many kitchen reno's look 80% finished a few days in, only to take another week and a half for the finer details to fall into place.

@lazylfarm Thanks man.

You MUST give me first refusal !!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom