Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fitted the censors.

P1210003.JPG

Thought I'd have a go at the adaptor between the intercooler and under side of bonnet, so when the bonnet is down it seals against the intercooler surround. I ordered some extra profiles with my last sheetmetal order. It is 1.6mm thick so it doesn't fall apart and I can weld it. length was 1.5mtrs

P2180003.JPG

Cut it around all the bracing, making sure the gap between was 475mm and square to match the mesh surround. Then positioned so it lines up when in situ.
P2180005.JPG

P2180001.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

Paint and rubber seals next. The steel stops short of the intercooler surround by about 1/4". The rubber seals will take this distance up.

Got a delivery from Mr Yoda last week.

Cowl and radiator to bonnet rubber seals.
Some emblems.
Heater control knobs.
Hood release cable'
Bonnet catch, rubber stops.
Headlight surrounds and adjustment screws.

P2100008.JPG

I got 80-90% of my wiring cable and also dicking around with the centre console. Headlights should be here by end of week.

IMG_5136.JPG

Cleaned and prepped the back door hardware, I'm ordering some parts but some are salvageable.

IMG_5135.JPG

Started prepping more interior trim, rear flare stone guards etc............. seems to be never ending.

P1210001.JPG

And here's a shot from a couple of weeks ago, just to keep me motivated.

P1210007.JPG

We have only connected low beam ATM and thought would do a comparison with my sons stock headlights on his 75 series.
My light are on the right in this picture.
IMG_5195.JPG

My lights on the left in this shot.

IMG_5196.JPG

I also fitted some struts to the bonnet to keep it up.

IMG_5194.JPG

Picked up some of my stereo components

IMG_5169.JPG

And more looms and fittings

IMG_5159.JPG

Prepped the old door hardware,flares, plastic trim and some other items that needed extra coats of 2pac.

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

P3030006.JPG

P3030009.JPG

Not happy with the flare guards being so glossy, 29 pieces all up, 5 colours not bad I suppose.

Fitted the intercooler surround to the under side of the hood along with the front rubber seal, it now has all seals on.

P3040011.JPG

Not that it will be seen anyway as I have decided to run with an hood liner which will cover most of the intercooler surround.

The bonnet struts were an easy install.

P3040012.JPG

4 holes in the under side of the bonnet.

P3040014.JPG

use the existing hole in the fender. The rest justs snaps into place and holds the weight of the bonnet fine.

P3040015.JPG

Also revisited an old friend.........and my wife thinks it's rubbish pppffft.

P3110044.JPG

I actually don't mind the graphics

P3110061.JPG

Soooo close, must be getting hungry to finish it now. Looks so good. BTW, I don't mind
the simple graphics, does break up the single colour.

Soooo close, must be getting hungry to finish it now.

Luckily I can start him up and sit in a shed of fumes or take a drive through the paddock. All grass, no mud, bit of a slope. YEHAAA 10km/h!!
Free times just getting more elusive every year also you can watch the weeds grow this time of year so I'm just grabbing moments here and there..................there's still so much to do.

IMG_5234.JPG

Wiper assembly and door hardware had a sand, rust converter and some bright silver cold galvanising spray from a can.

IMG_5241.JPG

Cleaned the rear lights, one came up better than the other, probably parked a certain way every year or? I have another so I'll see how I go?

IMG_5238.JPG

Because my son needs the back board behind the seats to mount electricals (and any delay means a walkoff and the unions) so I started the rear cargo area.

IMG_5224.JPG

The base will be a full 1 piece board. The board will be sealed and is just a sub straight for a pressed aluminium deck, tall front with lower side walls. Drawers under, left side to open with right door closed. Its all just sitting there ATM.
IMG_5231.JPG

Is that bonnet liner from Tru-fit? i received very similar box for mine this week with a liner from tru-fit, how did it go cutting the hole for the intercooler? i am still deciding on top vs front mount for mine but i was put off cutting a hole in that nice bonnet liner...

Looks really good Billy. Hard to believe how long you have been working on this build but you are so close to being done.

go son go, you're bloody nearly there mate!

I am, I am, but the goal posts keep moving.

Is that bonnet liner from Tru-fit? i received very similar box for mine this week with a liner from tru-fit, how did it go cutting the hole for the intercooler? i am still deciding on top vs front mount for mine but i was put off cutting a hole in that nice bonnet liner...

Yes it is a tru-fit bonnet liner. The thought of cutting it is hard, I cut mine with a small set of engineers scissors about an inch smaller than I thought I needed to then cut it hard to the back of my frame once it was on. I'll use a plastic "L" or "U" channel to seal the cuts and hold it to the underside of the bonnet.

Looks really good Billy. Hard to believe how long you have been working on this build but you are so close to being done.

Thanks Mate, has been a while. Definitely less to do now and some of its becoming bolt on stuff not refurb, prime, paint bolt on.

Thought I would get the cavity wax in place before I started fitting door hardware. Did the 2 front doors, 2 back doors and the windscreen surround again.

IMG_5262.JPG

Paid retail for some Zinc Plated CSK Socket screws which was a bit of a shock.

IMG_5259.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG

I used some original fasteners because of the attached washers for some of the hardware.
IMG_5283.JPG

I have a second steel grill that is quite rusty. Was going to try and incorporate it in my trailer build or re-purpose it for something, anyways I cut a strip out of it and matched the shape of it up with the hole in my scoop so it sorta matches my front grill.

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

The factory door handles and stays are starting to turn up, as usual its a bit hit and miss with parts from overseas, some parts I have ordered 3 times, some have been discontinued but lucky enough to get them from their Australian warehouse for a few dollars more and an extra 9 days. I have bought 2 pair of aftermarket locks for 70 series and hopefully changing the barrels or I will give to a locksmith to change the tumblers to suit my original key.

IMG_5274.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom