Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent a few hours yesterday prepping my 10 minute job. Snapped off bolt removed.

IMG_5140.jpeg

Hole re tapped.
IMG_5141.jpeg

Had to cut my drill bit down so the drill would fit between the leaf spring and the chassis.
IMG_5142.jpeg

Fitted radiator and transfer case guards. Made from 4mm stainless steel.
Shouldn’t have any problems getting around Costco’s oversized speed bumps now!

IMG_5149.jpeg

IMG_5150.jpeg

Since the new turbo install he occasionally blows the silicone elbows, I’ve mean meaning to have the aluminium pipes bead rolled for months now and because I was heading out on a 3 hour trip for a weekend of camping over the ranges again for the Leyburn Historic races I decided to get them done.
Also bought a tyre rack and gas bottle holder to free up more rear cargo space.
IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5191.jpeg

IMG_5205.jpeg

They close the streets down and these things race around an old town.
IMG_5220.jpeg

Pulled my old centre console out and fitted a fridge console. Had to make a base to contour the flooring and connect to the existing seat belt mounts. Move my sub box behind the driver and repositioned the fire extinguisher. Nice cold drinks now for the longer trips.
82BCFD2E-CA49-4D7A-967B-C38845B0517A.jpeg

F7825132-DF2F-45C2-AD76-0DF39305F5C8.jpeg

23402773-30EB-42E9-9D14-C2A1F1875880.jpeg

Also repurposed my old console cup holders till I fab a new console to go around the shifters and up under the dash to take some switches, cup holders, gauges and UHF.
D0EA3B68-FA57-4F2A-8B15-F7E4F2B677CA.jpeg

7893ABE9-3E7F-4EB6-8455-B4D4188808D2.jpeg

Tested it out last weekend with some 4x4ing and camping. Gets warm drinks down to 2degC in about 20 mins and keeps it there. Which is great when your away from camp for most of day. It’s set to 0 but goes to -20 below ambient. Only runs at this point when engine is running which means aircon would normally be on.
Not sure if I would be running it while car is off as I’ll have a bigger fridge running elsewhere, but may run it off 2nd battery eventually?
IMG_5557.jpeg

10524A53-2DB7-46CA-BEC3-F1816181FFA2.jpeg

EE818126-9EB7-41F7-8456-1F6C17F574A3.jpeg

Pulled my old centre console out and fitted a fridge console. Had to make a base to contour the flooring and connect to the existing seat belt mounts. Move my sub box behind the driver and repositioned the fire extinguisher. Nice cold drinks now for the longer trips.
View attachment 3469035
View attachment 3469034
View attachment 3469033

Also repurposed my old console cup holders till I fab a new console to go around the shifters and up under the dash to take some switches, cup holders, gauges and UHF.
View attachment 3469032
View attachment 3469031
My brain processes slowly sometimes. I was just rereading this and thinking ‘where’d he put the rear heater?’ Cause even in summer with the top off sometimes here I keep that thing running late. But
anyhow, we have a different version of cold I think. But ya got me thinking.

Sorted my tow hitch wiring so I could start towing a trailer on occasion.
I had only painted the rear bar with rattle can paint to stop it rusting thinking I’ll get around to powder coating or 2pac at a later stage so I removed the rear bar, cut in the double plug (7 pin trailer and Anderson) and also a hole for an air hose fitting before applying the 2pac primer and Raptor coating.
IMG_6125.jpeg

IMG_6129.jpeg

Can’t believe how much wiring goes into the rear bar lights, indicators and plug. All soldered joints and heat shrink.
IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

I also sanded and primed my camper chassis again while I had some primer in the gun.
IMG_6131.jpeg

Although I've backed off alot from work duties Frank's paying his way as a daily.

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6378.jpg

I picked up another roof for the camper build, but turned out to be better than the original so keeping it and painting at later date if I decide to use on car.
IMG_6243 (1).jpg

I cut the original roof down to suit and now gives me a starting point of what I'm trying to achieve with hinged camper lid.
Dropped the body off at a sandblasting joint who also primed it so I have a clean canvas for when I start cut and welding patches in.
I can now design the front box which will hold the kitchen pullout for fridge, hotplate and sink before I prime the lot in 2pac.
Link to camper build in my signature 👇
IMG_6250.jpg

Now the camper is made from one donor vehicle. Chassis, suspension, body tub, wheels and roof.(Ladder is from my boat, not sure if I need)
IMG_6429.jpg

Installed a new twin ARB compressor behind my fridge console then took the car in to have a rear air locker installed. Wasn’t comfortable setting backlash etc. still yet to fit airlines to rear bar.
IMG_6428.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

Removed my winch and started modifying a cradle so I can rotate it 90deg to get at controls better. I’ll need to remove and modify bar before getting it all welded in place, then painting and reinstalling, wiring etc.
thinking about putting the chrome 3 loop or modifying the chrome single loop also ?
IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6222.jpeg

Started my midi fuse bar to tidy up battery area and to take the 12v extra accessories.
IMG_6241.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom