Builds Big Red Toy (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good eye guys, I had not noticed the rain gutter delete. There was another cruiser I spotted, but could not snap a picture in time.

I had a few hours to myself today and decided to check out the battleship Missouri. For those of you who might be rusty on their history, it is where the Japanese surrendered effectively ending WWII. I was surprised to see most of the tourists were Japanese and had their own Japanese speaking tour guides. I managed to read many of the kamikaze letters on display and gained even more appreciation to how determined and meticulous the Japanese are. It is no surprise that they also happen to build the best 4x4 on the market.

20180426_112137.jpg
20180426_113104.jpg
20180426_113518.jpg
20180426_113522.jpg
20180426_113608.jpg

The Mighty MO is an awesome tour. I've been twice and also went to the Arizona Memorial. Great experience.

Keep the tour rolling man your doing a great job.
Thanks. I took a million pictures of places out here, but im trying to keep my land cruiser thread somewhat still land cruiser centric. I won't have anything significant to add from that perspective until I get back to Texas.

I flew in from Hawaii last night, stopped in Seattle. The Honolulu airport was packed with tourists trying to leave, I assume because of the volcano, but it may honestly be normal tourist traffic. I was surprised to see Washington still had snow. And yes, the black cruiser was still parked when I left.

Washington.jpg

Clouds and snow.jpg

I decided to check the torque on the spacers today, since I took the day off. It's been on my to do list since before heading out to Syria, I even went to Round Up without checking them, not advisable. Anyway here's my back yard way of getting the front tires from spinning while I check the nuts.
brakes on.jpg

Don't laugh, it worked.

Happy to say none of the nuts needed torquing, though I do need to give the under side a power wash.

Spacers.jpg

needs cleaning.jpg

I've loaded up my paddle board and headed to the lake. For the next few weeks I'll start collecting body panels for the upcoming paint job. i need a tail gate and hood. The tail gate has rust and the hood is too bent up and will show with a good paint job.

Last edited:
I have used that method before. Mine was a brick and a random stick I found.

Time to do something about the engine temps. It's in the 90s in Texas, not yet as hot as it will get and big red is running at 220 when going 70 plus. I need a better shroud, stronger electrical fans or both.

Last edited:
From the research I did the top three I would consider are better fans, venting underhood heat, and cold intake air. I've done two of those and have seen a difference. Still trying to figure out a cold air intake in my set up.

From the research I did the top three I would consider are better fans, venting underhood heat, and cold intake air. I've done two of those and have seen a difference. Still trying to figure out a cold air intake in my set up.

How hot do you run in summer on the highway?

Yeah it’s fxxxing hot! October is just around the corner, right? I’ve driven the BJ40 the few days and it’s running a smidge above normal. It didn’t help that they just repaved 290 West using the blackest oiliest asphalt known to man making it feel like an oven when sitting at lights. 80 is feeling it as well but still stays at the 180-190 range. My electric fans are kicking on more frequently now.
It’s seems my trucks are like myself when it comes to Texas heat. You complain, cope, and then deal with it. By the end of the summer your immune to it.

Temp has depended on what I'm doing. If just cruising the freeway it's 190-200F. If it's towing it can be 200-230F depending on terrain. I start adding the heater to the mix when I see 230F and pull over to cool down if it keeps climbing from there. That was after the new hood vents but before the new fans, and before the bigger tires. In the near future I'm going to move my tranny cooler (not and issue for you) to under the truck in the rear, add another cooler in series and give them their own fan. I'm doing this with the hope that I can look into getting AC finally set up.

This winter I had a hard time sustaining 180F. It was the first time I ran some cardboard in front of the radiator.

I'm Gonna start off with a thermostat that starts the electric fan at 190, then maybe a better shroud. I'm reluctant to give up the mechanical fan because everything electrical has managed to fail at some point on this thing.

My issue is having a weekend to do it. I'm booked or out of town for at least the next month.

Don't diesels run better at higher temps, or is that old hearsay?

Last edited:
Yes, keeping a diesel at 195-205F is much better than 180F or lower. Helps with more complete combustion. 220F and above is starting to get a little too warm for sustained temps.

I have played with thermostats and fans previously. Originally I had a 185 temp switch and a 190 degree thermostat. I didn't like this combo due to fans kicking on before thermostat opened and pretty much staying on until temp gets down to 170 or so. Now I have a 180 thermostat with a 195 temp switch and it seems to work well. Fans turn off at 180 or so.
Cummins makes both a 180 and 190 thermostat but neither matters if your hitting 200 plus.

Added a switch to the electric fan. I also tried some new cooling additive. It helped some, but the engine was still managing 210* with the ac on.

Resized_20180524_102940.jpeg
The switch is independent of the ignition switch, so I could run out the batteries if I forget it on.
Resized_20180522_083523.jpeg

I was desperate enough to try this. Not sure if it helps or it was just the fan. My numbers are about 10* lower than when I ran the truck without ac. I wonder if I flip the switch when the temps hit 180, if that will keep it cool instead of waiting till it hits 200.

The pyro needs to be addressed next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom