BFG KO2 285/75r17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@gaijin ,
I've read many of your posts and am running the 37psi you recommended for this tire. Thanks! Yeah, on the 285/70 I'm almost back there. I am going to work with my alignment shop to see if we can keep the current near perfect ride and handling while adjust the wheel back as @linuxgod mentioned here.
@linuxgod
Thank you for the info! I will share this with my shop to help steer us in the right direction. I read many of your posts and since the Ridge Grapplers fit, and are larger than the BFG's, that was part of the reason I thought the BFG's would make it without issue. EDIT HERE I understand that the ICON wheels you're running have more offset and that will help with the areas I'm concerned with. Obviously, my expectations were missing some info. I know there are many factors at play here and I'm sure one of them is just how little experience I have here so thank you again for the info!

I'll post again later in the week after a visit to the shop with whatever we figure out. My, "worst case" is to go back to the 285/70's which really is a great situation to be in since that's hardly a bad setup.

Last edited:
I run the same wheels/tires in my stock suspension 2014, and I definitely have rub at full lock (to the right) when backing in to my driveway. That's the only time I've ever noticed it, and it's so minor, I've ignored it. You can see the extent of the damage of a few k miles over the last 10 months.

View attachment 2399669

Have any better pictures of your full setup? How do they ride? Stock suspension feel ok with them?

@zmf so you don't have any contact on the KDSS bar or the sway bar!? Teach me your ways

The issue is the 285/75s look so much better than 285/70s!!!

I do love the way my Cruiser looks right now but.......if it's not fully functional I can't keep it that way.

@gaijin ,
I've read many of your posts and am running the 37psi you recommended for this tire. Thanks! Yeah, on the 285/70 I'm almost back there. I am going to work with my alignment shop to see if we can keep the current near perfect ride and handling while adjust the wheel back as @linuxgod mentioned here.
@linuxgod
Thank you for the info! I will share this with my shop to help steer us in the right direction. I read many of your posts and since the Ridge Grapplers fit, and are larger than the BFG's, that was part of the reason I thought the BFG's would make it without issue. EDIT HERE I understand that the ICON wheels you're running have more offset and that will help with the areas I'm concerned with. Obviously, my expectations were missing some info. I know there are many factors at play here and I'm sure one of them is just how little experience I have here so thank you again for the info!

I'll post again later in the week after a visit to the shop with whatever we figure out. My, "worst case" is to go back to the 285/70's which really is a great situation to be in since that's hardly a bad setup.
FWIW mine do rub in the same places, in roughly the same manner. At full lock, particularly to the left, you can feel the tire lugs drag, but if you back off a tiny bit it stops. The Slee relo bracket will fix this issue, but it torques the end links at an angle which will likely lead to premature bushing wear. I wish someone would develop a modified (read: bent) end link which would allow for the use of the relo bracket...

Spacers or different offset wheels may decrease rub in these locations, but they increase the potential for rubbing in other ways as it widens the arc your wheels travel. For instance I had to remove the mud flaps and then "massage" the bracket which is behind it backwards a bit and use a heat gun on the plastic liner in order to keep from rubbing the plastic liner in the back of the wheel well near the body mount.

285/75/17 KO2's are perfect

I went through this thread and others thoroughly before deciding to go with 285/75/17 KO2's and I'm so glad I did. I know everyone says that they are not good for stock suspension but I wanted to test this out prior to my lift. So far, all I've done is remove mud flaps and push the liner forward. No cutting at all and I only have a slight kiss on KDSS.

My theory is that
1) alignment has a lot to do with it since some are reporting issues and others are not.
2) KO2's are significantly more tapered than other tire options like the Nittos which are more squared off. This helps them fit better and not rub. The obvious downside being a smaller contact patch reducing braking and handling capabilities on pavement.

View attachment 2195756
View attachment 2195768
@MrEPoo Do you have spacers installed?

Have any better pictures of your full setup? How do they ride? Stock suspension feel ok with them?
@zmf so you don't have any contact on the KDSS bar or the sway bar!? Teach me your ways

To be clear, I'm running 70s, not 75s, mostly because that's what @gaijin said Toyota recommends, and we should listen....

To answer questions - pic is below. I think the bumper and the winch really bring down the front a lot - it was a noticeable change driving and looking at it. Tires are much better in all conditions - but that's compared to worn out stock, so not surprising. Wet pavement traction is amazing compared to (not so) worn out stock, which is nice. Only complaint on the bigger tires is the downshift on smaller hills on the highway. I'm used to it now. Stock suspension seems fine too me. The ride is cushier, the road noise is louder, but not bad at all. Not much in the way off road yet - a few bumpy logging roads and puddles, but nothing to push it.

No rubbing on the KDSS or sway bar. I'm thinking maybe I wasn't clear enough about running 70s in my initial post, because I think no rubbing at all is what was expected, and the small rubbing I do have is somewhat unexpected. If I'm wrong - I'll be happy to go into more details, more photos, whatever.

20200811_154602 - Copy.jpg

To be clear, I'm running 70s, not 75s, mostly because that's what @gaijin said Toyota recommends, and we should listen....

To answer questions - pic is below. I think the bumper and the winch really bring down the front a lot - it was a noticeable change driving and looking at it. Tires are much better in all conditions - but that's compared to worn out stock, so not surprising. Wet pavement traction is amazing compared to (not so) worn out stock, which is nice. Only complaint on the bigger tires is the downshift on smaller hills on the highway. I'm used to it now. Stock suspension seems fine too me. The ride is cushier, the road noise is louder, but not bad at all. Not much in the way off road yet - a few bumpy logging roads and puddles, but nothing to push it.

No rubbing on the KDSS or sway bar. I'm thinking maybe I wasn't clear enough about running 70s in my initial post, because I think no rubbing at all is what was expected, and the small rubbing I do have is somewhat unexpected. If I'm wrong - I'll be happy to go into more details, more photos, whatever.

View attachment 2400959

Are you going to stiffen up the front? If you YouTube arb brake dive, there appears to be a stock 200 with front bull bar doing emergency stopping during product testing. The amount of Brake dive is downright dangerous.

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought about that aspect, but obviously a good point. I meant to mention that I plan on stiffer/longer springs for the front, and when I get to that I may as well just do a lift and go to 35s. That makes me want to address it sooner rather than later.

Love the BFG KO2 in 285/75R17...

getting them installed on Rock Warriors powder coated cardinal bk-01 to match the bumpers and sliders

E017D7B2-581A-45D6-A752-EC76ADA55933.jpeg

Right after install. Removed 15mm packers and removed the spidertrax wheel spacers.

2FEAE1B4-A5C3-4043-882A-8C4CE2CD7465.jpeg

FE9ADEDC-EE29-40BD-87D3-251F043635BE.jpeg

7BCF5630-D2DB-43F0-83EF-FB723E51FC7E.jpeg

3D85EF37-C15A-4D76-833A-06A8C0A0849A.jpeg

On the trail...

21FED40E-EA46-4578-A68D-9276B463AAAF.jpeg

am considering re-installing either the 5 mm packer the 10mm packer or both...

11BCA780-7F67-4ED3-8648-2D13A0E62EC1.jpeg

So much quieter than the STT Pros.

Considerably lighter w the RW wheels.

No rub.

hit some mud on the trail. The 4Rs in front slid around (Toyo At3 and GY DT). I had center and rear locked, slid a little but not much. They stopped, so I did. I put front locker on and tracked straight through while they still slid around.

don’t think the tires between the three rigs made a ton of difference in mud ~4-6 inches deep, but rather the mechanical lockers made most of the difference. That and I was a little more liberal w the throttle to clear out the mud.

very pleased w these tires.

Minor correction after driving around and living with this setup a little longer...

I do notice a slight rub at full lock in reverse.

Also, I was expecting a bump in mpg. Haven’t really noticed that materialize when driving normal. Still getting 10-12 mpg combined - whether on the trail or on the highway.

I get the tires are slightly taller than before tho the wheel / tire setup is notably lighter. But, even correcting for the larger diameter, the gas mileage remains about the same as the stt pros on stock wheels. Oh well. These are just thirsty beasts.

When driving flat highway at the speed limit, I did see an adjusted 17+ mpg yesterday. Feathering it and continuing to let other drivers pass around town, but not driving annoyingly slow, the avg has dropped to an adjusted 15+ mpg. Driving similarly in the other setup yielded 13-14 adjusted mpg.

So, I suppose these tires *can* get slightly better gas mileage (1-2 mpg?) than the old setup - when driving both setups fairly mild. If driving normal, I don’t notice a difference in mpg.

Remain pleased w the setup, but want to be objective to help w setting realistic expectations.

Anyone have a recommendations for aligning 285/75R17 KO2s on Rock Warriors?

Riverview Toyota has been tinkering and can't seem to get the rub out completely. Currently, rub is at full lock on kdss.

Thanks!

Riverview Toyota has been tinkering and can't seem to get the rub out completely. Currently, rub is at full lock on kdss.

Thanks!
Without spacers, it's gonna happen.

Even with the tundra arms the tire would kiss the KDSS on full lock.

Thanks!
Less caster may help. However too little will result in looser steering and more wander on road, and you can also start to rub at the body mount. I wouldn't go below 2.5 degrees.

Spacers may help though you may end up with rubbing in other spots

KDSS relo will eliminate the KDSS arm and sway bar contact but it comes with its own issues with the end link angles you'll need to address

Honestly I am disappointed that no vendor has stepped up yet and has not offered KDSS-relo specific end link replacements.

Until that happens fitting almost anything over 33" to 200 will remain an half-assed effort. LX folks excepted.

Last edited:
Honestly I am disappointed that no vendor has yet stepped up yet and has not offered KDSS-relo specific end link replacements.

Until that happens fitting almost anything over 33" to 200 will remain an half-assed effort. LX folks excepted.
I see why they don’t though. The driver side is not typical for sway bar end links, and I think with the forces involved they need to be very strong. Stock links are surprisingly expensive. Making all of this work long term at a price people will actually pay.. tall order. There are some great fabricators here and it hasn’t been done yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom