Not liking the BFG KO2s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have nothing substantive to add other than this observation. Of all the tires discussed on this forum the KO2s seem be to the only tire that is either love/hate with no gray area. FWIW, a friend swears by these tires. As such, I took a hard look at the them. I bought a different tire.
When I was hunting for some AT tires for my 4Runner, I remember a fairly large thread of KO2 hate on the T4R.org forum. The consensus among the haters was that wet traction sucks in a potentially terrifying way about 20k miles in. It's a common complaint.

Their tread pattern is great at throwing rocks and terrible at clearing thick mud. I had them on a CJ7 a while back. They're best in dry conditions. People in the SW US typically don't have much bad to say about them.

ATs are always going to give up some on-pavement manners for off-road performance. I think people mostly buy KO2s for the looks. Probably true of aggressive all-terrains in general, but the BFGs have been around so long, their look is iconic to many people at this point.

I just think there are far better options these days. If we didn't care about looks, most of us would be thrilled with a set of Defenders.

When I was hunting for some AT tires for my 4Runner, I remember a fairly large thread of KO2 hate on the T4R.org forum. The consensus among the haters was that wet traction sucks in a potentially terrifying way about 20k miles in. It's a common complaint.

Their tread pattern is great at throwing rocks and terrible at clearing thick mud. I had them on a CJ7 a while back. They're best in dry conditions. People in the SW US typically don't have much bad to say about them.

ATs are always going to give up some on-pavement manners for off-road performance. I think people mostly buy KO2s for the looks. Probably true of aggressive all-terrains in general, but the BFGs have been around so long, their look is iconic to many people at this point.

I just think there are far better options these days. If we didn't care about looks, most of us would be thrilled with a set of Defenders.
I am starting to see the light and thinking about defenders. Want better highway manners after 200k miles on AT tires.

I am starting to see the light and thinking about defenders. Want better highway manners after 200k miles on AT tires.
After three days of driving back on the stock wheels with Michelin defenders, I've decided to go back to them or another p-metric tire. The ride is much better and I'm not wheeling the thing anyway.

Every time I see one of these threads I think I must be deaf as s**t 🤣🤣 because I don't hear a noise from the tires. I run standard size K02's on my 200's 18 inch wheels and have not found them to be noisy or stiff. I've been happy with them and had them put on almost immediately after purchase seven years ago. Street pressure is 40 psi / rotated every 5k. When the K02's run out I'll replace with something from Toyo as I've loved those tires, but the 200 rides so smooth, but my comparison is solid axle (leaf or coil sprung) cruisers so maybe not the best comparison. I also hear virtually no noise from my Toyo Open Country M/T's that I run on my 100. The only time I "hear" a noise is on a very freshly paved road. Don't throw away the tires just yet. I'd give it some more time.

Every time I see one of these threads I think I must be deaf as s**t 🤣🤣 because I don't hear a noise from the tires. I run standard size K02's on my 200's 18 inch wheels and have not found them to be noisy or stiff. I've been happy with them and had them put on almost immediately after purchase seven years ago. Street pressure is 40 psi / rotated every 5k. When the K02's run out I'll replace with something from Toyo as I've loved those tires, but the 200 rides so smooth, but my comparison is solid axle (leaf or coil sprung) cruisers so maybe not the best comparison. I also hear virtually no noise from my Toyo Open Country M/T's that I run on my 100. The only time I "hear" a noise is on a very freshly paved road. Don't throw away the tires just yet. I'd give it some more time.
I guess my hearing ain't so great either! :frown:
I run the KO2s in 285/65R18 E rated at 42 PSI. The ride is slightly more "stiff" than the stock tires and as far as noise, there is just a slight low frequency rumble that disappears at speed. They are quieter than the Toyo OC A/TIII I was running before. Also, they perform better in the snow than the Toyos. The Toyos gave me the first flat tire I have had in 40+ years of off-roading. The left front had a puncture hole that I was able to plug. Nothing was in the tire, just a hole blowing out air. Have no idea what I ran over. Last weekend, I was on washboard, very rocky, sandy and washed out class 3 roads and then pouring rain and finally about two inches of snow for the last five miles home and not a peep out of the KO2s. I do find that the LC tends to feel like it is under-steering when driving in the snow. The wife describes it as the front is "plowing". Maybe it's my imagination as coming home in the snow this last time, it felt very planted in the turns.

Overall, I have found that the KO2s have performed a bit better than the Toyos for my uses. The tire I liked the best on my Tundra and 4Runner was the old Goodyear Wrangle Silent Armor. Goodyear discontinued it. It was the best snow tire I have driven on and was excellent in the rain and off road. Not quite as tough as the KO2 though.

I am hoping that BFG will have the KO3 in 285/65R18 by the time I need new tires. From what I have read, it seems to be an improvement in most areas where the KO2 was lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom