BFG Trail Terrain vs Defender vs Yokohama GO15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used Americas tire for sizing and research as well as buying them.

I find other sites like Tire Rack incorrect at times.

Isn’t 285 Width stock for the 200s?
Thank you! Is P-metric the same as XL? I find the load rating so confusing and it's not for a lack of research. If it does I think that the XL rated LTX MS2 are the ticket for my application. Thinking of getting 275/55/20 since they don't come in stock size.
Apologies, XL is a P rated tire. I would get an LT size if they have it such as a E or C load rating.

Apologies, XL is a P rated tire. I would get an LT size if they have it such as a E or C load rating.
as stated above XL rating is basically a P rated tire. Max load and max pressure will be slightly higher than the typical P rated tire, but no where near the weight or required air pressure of an LT rated tire.

I disagree with getting an LT rated tire for your uses, whether E or C rated. The XL rated stock Dunlops, and any of the tires you are considering in a P (or iso-metric ) rating, can handle the full 8300lb towing capacity of the truck. LT tires are required on 3/4 ton pickups but even half ton pickups, with 10,000+ towing capacity, come on P rated tires. You do not need LT rated tires for towing on a stock rig. LT tires will mean a rougher ride, worse braking, longer stopping distances, and worse mileage.

Your description of your off road uses sound like something that a P rated tire can easily handle. If you’re taking on sharp rocks and difficult trails then LT tires would be warranted. For mild trails and dirt or gravel roads a P or XL rated Defender is fine.

Last edited:
Defenders all the way

1- Everyday usability- needs good on-road manner, decent mileage (so no KO2s or AT3s) - Defenders win for this after I tried out Falkens
2- Snow performance: I live in coastal California but go skiing a lot. I want to avoid a second set of snow tires. - I to live in CA and did a writeup of using the Defenders in CA snow such as the sierras
3- Towing capability: I occasionally tow a 3900lbs camping trailer with a 500lbs tongue weight
4- Occasional light off-road trails (nothing crazy) - Defenders will do it!
5- Weight and size close to stock, although would like to try 1 aspect ratio larger than stock. - You might need to go to 18s to get the best weight and size for the Defenders
5- Good looks would be nice but would not sacrifice form over function. - Function over form!
Can you please link to your write-up on using Defenders in the Sierras?

Can you please link to your write-up on using Defenders in the Sierras?

I disagree with getting an LT rated tire for your uses, whether E or C rated. The XL rated stock Dunlops, and any of the tires you are considering in a P (or iso-metric ) rating, can handle the full 8300lb towing capacity of the truck. LT tires are required on 3/4 ton pickups but even half ton pickups, with 10,000+ towing capacity, come on P rated tires. You do not need LT rated tires for towing on a stock rig. LT tires will mean a rougher ride, worse braking, longer stopping distances, and worse mileage.

Your description of your off road uses sound like something that a P rated tire can easily handle. If you’re taking on sharp rocks and difficult trails then LT tires would be warranted. For mild trails and dirt or gravel roads a P or XL rated Defender is fine.

Well said.

Look at the Michelin AT tire as well. They came on my wife’s expedition and and have 80k miles on em. A little more aggressive tread vs defenders and they have held up really well. Bonus if you can find some trd pro tundra take off’s with the Michelins included. I’ve seen em for sale at reasonable prices.

I’m curious about the next Michelin AT tire. It’s due for a refresh, but I can’t find any info…

So I will just add that I recently traded in my 285/65/18 Michelin defender LTX MS2 E rated for some 275/65/18 BFG Trail Terrain SL rated. I have been extremely pleased with the Trail Terrain so far. In my opinion they are smoother riding than the Defenders due to a much lower psi (33 vs 42) and softer sidewall. I do not need a E rated tire for my use. They are very quite on interstate and around town and I think they look much better. I really like the OWL personally. I’m sure in long run the defenders can’t be beat mileage wise but for me I’m happy with the new Trail terrain. Also side note. I started this tire journey with BFG K02s in 285/65/18. In my opinion they rode the harshest and were the loudest of the three. For me and my use the Trail Terrain is the perfect middle ground between the K02 and the Defender. I did not notice much difference between the three for mpg but I really don’t pay much attention to that. All were between 14-17 for my usage. Full transparency- only put 2,500 miles on K02s, 5,000 miles on defenders and only have 1,500 on Trail Terrain so far. My opinion may have differed if I had put more miles on each tire as they wore. Pics for comparison

IMG_8810.png

IMG_8805.png

IMG_8832.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom