Not liking the BFG KO2s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run the BFG K02 285/65R/18 E rated at 40 psi on the 2016 LC200 with BP51 suspension with 2.5 inch lift. stock wheels/rims. I love the ride with this set up. My 2014 4runner with 182k miles on it , i am the original owner on it's 2nd set of BFG K02 275/70R/17 E rated also at 40 psi. they felt a little hard initially on stock suspension, but when i changed to Bilstein heavier duty suspension. they are awesome. Couple friends who drive a Tacoma and a Chevy when they ride with me in LC200 say how smooth and comfortable the ride is. Sorry you are having a bad experience with your K02s.

used ko2 for years on taco, lc, etc

these days general grabber atx. very happy, offroad and onroad and lack of noise on long distance trips

Hate everything about the KO2 on my Tacoma except the look. I’ll probably replace with Michelin Defender MS2 for my next set on that truck as it sees a lot of highway for work. The cruiser runs Firestone Destination XT and they ride better and have better wet traction and ride than the KO2 and at least similar off-road traction.

I have nothing substantive to add other than this observation. Of all the tires discussed on this forum the KO2s seem be to the only tire that is either love/hate with no gray area. FWIW, a friend swears by these tires. As such, I took a hard look at the them. I bought a different tire.
Oh there is definitely a grey.
You don’t to throw your 3tons of Land Cruiser on KO2‘s with 80kmh into a roundabout on wet conditions but thats probably also because mine already run since like 110k km‘s …
Everything else is like bit out of both worlds and honestly good and bad in the same way…. An AT tire…

Stock suspension setup don’t like Es. C was my limit and even then it’s not perfect. I’m back on a P now and man, I missed having so much grip.

Isn't that the truth! Sometimes we give up a lot for the sake 4x4 cred.

For me it was braking and wet braking performance that really made me aggressive shopping this time around. And I’m on set 3 and really know what I want out of them.

I could have spent way less on LT take offs in this size. Of course, I pick the most obscure and pricey tires out there…

I can't speak to the LX ride, but when I got my LC it had Defenders on it and I thought the ride was wayyy too soft and boat like. Felt like I was in grandpa's old cadillac lol. I actually really liked how the KO2s firmed up the ride. Grant it I daily drove an M4 for the previous 5 years that could rattle the teeth out of your head.

Anyways, If you just got them and you're not happy with them, you might try swapping them at the shop with different ATs. Hope you find a tire you like.

It was a nice 67 degree day here in Denver, so I swapped from my LC18" wheel setup with the 275/70/18 BFG KO2s (E load range) back to the stock 20" wheels with the Michelin LTX defenders. I'm driving about 150 miles tomorrow, so I'll see if I notice a difference. I went down the rabbit hole of reading up on P-metrics, load range C, D, E, etc. etc. etc. tonight!

I have to admit, I do not want a squishy ride, so a P-metric in that 275/70/18 size might be too flexy of a sidewall. The KO2s, however, seem to cause a shudder and you almost feel the weight of them as you hit road imperfections.

Maybe the Goldilocks would be a 18" C-load range tire.

It was a nice 67 degree day here in Denver, so I swapped from my LC18" wheel setup with the 275/70/18 BFG KO2s (E load range) back to the stock 20" wheels with the Michelin LTX defenders. I'm driving about 150 miles tomorrow, so I'll see if I notice a difference. I went down the rabbit hole of reading up on P-metrics, load range C, D, E, etc. etc. etc. tonight!

I have to admit, I do not want a squishy ride, so a P-metric in that 275/70/18 size might be too flexy of a sidewall. The KO2s, however, seem to cause a shudder and you almost feel the weight of them as you hit road imperfections.

Unless you’re hardcore wheeling your truck I recommend SL. The car comes stock in SL so you shouldn’t worry about it being squishy or flexy sidewall. You can tow max tow rating with SL’s too as long as you get the stock or bigger size. It will be so much more comfortable and will save you money at the pump. My 2C^2

We swapped the stock 20" LX570 wheel/tire setup for 18" Land Cruiser wheels and 275/70/18 BFG KO2s.

Man, the ride is too firm, and it almost seems to bounce around with the road imperfections.

I'm thinking the load range E tires are the issue. I dropped air pressure a few times in hope that'd smooth things out, but am now thinking of selling the tires and trying a load range D or something else.

Thoughts?

What pressure did you fill them with?

I think a P 33” on an 18 is doable, and (if?) you are probably referring to a lot of bs I wrote at some point.

Every wheel size has a perfect tire IMO. But my advice here, sorry if unsolicited, is that you should not exceed a 6” sidewall if it’s 2 ply (P).

And from there C D E until 37s or whatever dope the size addicts here are on these days.

Personally I would never run an E tire on a stock suspension of any kind that wasn’t designed for it.

I think a P 33” on an 18 is doable, and (if?) you are probably referring to a lot of bs I wrote at some point.

Every wheel size has a perfect tire IMO. But my advice here, sorry if unsolicited, is that you should not exceed a 6” sidewall if it’s 2 ply (P).

And from there C D E until 37s or whatever dope the size addicts here are on these days.

Personally I would never run an E tire on a stock suspension of any kind that wasn’t designed for it.

Also remember PSI messes with this entire excersize.

You can stiffen a sloppy P up until it’s sidewall is adequately rigid, but that means losing the point of the compliant P ride quality.

Hey - I appreciate ALL the advice. Took a quick trip down the street this morning, and the stock 20" wheels and Michelin defenders have a decent blend of firm yet supple.

The BFGs remind me of riding a fat tire mountain bike - those big balloon tires have a bounce and shudder and mass to them that's mildly annoying.

Our LX is mostly a road car, but we'll see fire roads, mild 4x4 trails, etc. Tow the boat once in a while, camp from time to time. I should probably stick with the Michelin LTX, but if I'm being honest, I like the look (can capability) of A/T tires.

Why would you not exceed 6” sidewall on a 2 ply? Most trucks and SUV’s, maybe all of them come in 2 ply tires from the factory with more than 6” of side wall. 275/65/18 a ubiquitous size on American trucks is 2 ply, as is 265/70/18 which is also popular OEM fitment and is on the upcoming LC250.

Hey - I appreciate ALL the advice. Took a quick trip down the street this morning, and the stock 20" wheels and Michelin defenders have a decent blend of firm yet supple.

The BFGs remind me of riding a fat tire mountain bike - those big balloon tires have a bounce and shudder and mass to them that's mildly annoying.

Our LX is mostly a road car, but we'll see fire roads, mild 4x4 trails, etc. Tow the boat once in a while, camp from time to time. I should probably stick with the Michelin LTX, but if I'm being honest, I like the look (can capability) of A/T tires.

How was the ride of the Michelins, Ive been thinking to switch to 285/70/17 michelins. Ride is pretty stiff on my back after 8 years and 4 sets of KO2s.

How was the ride of the Michelins, Ive been thinking to switch to 285/70/17 michelins. Ride is pretty stiff on my back after 8 years and 4 sets of KO2s.

Decent. Firm ride, but not harsh. Note, however, that my Michelins are on my stock 20" wheels and not on 18s. I'd think they would be plush on 18" wheels with that bigger sidewall.

Vehicle width and suspension tuning probably contribute to sidewall dynamics during cornering..

That calculator says that the 275/70R18 load range E at 38 psi would support 2190 lbs which is more than 1/2 the rear axle rating on these(4300 lb)

There is more to it than what the tire can support safely in a straight line. What the tire sidewall does under dynamic conditions like an emergency maneuver can be altered greatly by more or less pressure, and these dynamics are a big factor when car manufacturers choose their tire pressures.

Doing the industry-recommended math for a P metric 285/70r17 would suggest 27psi under a Landcruiser to maintain the load rating of the stock tires. I’ve done it. I won’t do it again.

The car comes stock in SL so you shouldn’t worry about it being squishy or flexy sidewall.

In stock sizes I agree, but start increasing tire diameter, that sidewall gets bigger, and you quickly start getting more flex for a given driving condition. This can help ride quality, but really hurt cornering performance because the tire can’t support the vehicle under those lateral forces without deforming.

Why would you not exceed 6” sidewall on a 2 ply? Most trucks and SUV’s, maybe all of them come in 2 ply tires from the factory with more than 6” of side wall. 275/65/18 a ubiquitous size on American trucks is 2 ply, as is 265/70/18 which is also popular OEM fitment and is on the upcoming LC250.

Because it drives rides like s*** at the proper pressure.

But you do you champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom