BFG Trail Terrain vs Defender vs Yokohama GO15 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello IH8MUD Community. Long time lurker, first time poster here and I would like to request some help in choosing a tire and possibly wheels as well for my 2011 LX570

I have been doing a ton of research but I have a case of analysis paralysis and need some help. My top 5 criteria are:

1- Everyday usability- needs good on-road manner, decent mileage (so no KO2s or AT3s)
2- Snow performance: I live in coastal California but go skiing a lot. I want to avoid a second set of snow tires.
3- Towing capability: I occasionally tow a 3900lbs camping trailer with a 500lbs tongue weight
4- Occasional light off-road trails (nothing crazy)
5- Weight and size close to stock, although would like to try 1 aspect ratio larger than stock.
5- Good looks would be nice but would not sacrifice form over function.

I have narrowed down to those 3 tires, but open to suggestions as well:

BFGOODRICH TRAIL-TERRAIN T/A​

Pros: Good snow performance, 3PMS, decent looking.
Relatively lightweight
Cons:
Available in 275/55R20 (36lbs) with only 113T load rating - but that doesn't seem enough for my towing situation, does it?
Also available in 275/65R18 (43lbs) with 116T load rating ( I would need new wheels to make this work)
Some people report balancing issues

YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T G015​

Pros: OK snow performance (3PMS), decent looks
Available in XL Load range (117H) and E Range
Weighs 41lbs in 275/55R20 XL range which sounds acceptable
Cons: Are they really better than the Defender M/S2 in the snow?

MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S2​

Pros: Proven design, seemingly decent snow performance(?), good load ratings
Lightweight 275/55R20 weighs 40lbs in XL range. Weight increases to 50lbs in Load E range (but is that really needed for my application?)
Cons: no 3PMS rating, looks bland.

Currently thinking of staying with stock rims but also interested in the Method 318 for the bronze looks and weight savings (31lbs vs 38lbs stock)
It comes in 2 offset options: 40 and 18: I have no idea which one would make sense for my LX.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Having towed a 4,000 boat with a 450 lb tongue weight, I would recommend an E rated tire. This goes against your desire for low weight and fuel economy, unless you go with a lighter weight wheel to compensate. I've had the KO2s, hated them as they were noisy within 10,000 miles, so I now have the Michelin Defenders and if you're doing mostly road miles, they're great.

Another option I haven't tried, but that gets great reviews for snow use is the Firestone Destination LE2 (new version is LE3), as well as the XT version which does have an E rated option in 275/55/20.

My son's 4runner has Trail Terrains and they're a pretty good lightweight option for light trail use, but I wouldn't use them to tow that much weight. Also, though they're quieter than KO2s, they're quite a bit louder than the Michelins.

Last edited:
I just went through this, comparing these tires and a couple more, ended up with the defender when I realized they don't look cool but are objectively better at everything else.. other than mud, which I avoid like the plague.

XL-load tires will handle anything the vehicle can tow with ease, and there is room to increase pressure if you feel you need to for stability.. all in a much lighter, better riding, and more fuel efficient package. Unless you need the physical robustness of such thick sidewalls, avoid LT tires.

I only have about 1500mi on a set of G015s but I've been pretty happy with them so far. Different vehicle and wheel/tire size though.

I'll add to your analysis paralysis as I looked at all of the shoes you have on your list. I just put the Cooper Discoverer Road-Trail-AT on my LC. It is an update to the 4-S. They come in a 275/55R20 117H that might meet your needs.

I’m interested in these but haven’t found many reviews. I know it’s early but what are your thoughts so far? How did you land on these compared to the others?

I’m interested in these but haven’t found many reviews. I know it’s early but what are your thoughts so far? How did you land on these compared to the others?
These are an update of the 4S so I went by the reviews of that tire, which overall are quite good. The BFGoodrich Tail Terrain is a close second. What shifted me is that I wanted a tire that had good snow performance. It ranked the highest. The new tread design should clear mud better than the 4S while working in the snow. Also I happen to put a set of Coopers on my Tacoma and have been pleased with them. So decided to give these a go.

What I noticed immediately is that they quieter than the previous shoes that the dealer put on. They were fine for mall crawling but not much else. I went with 275/65/R18. They also look good over the stock size. We have not had any snow so cannot report on that.

Last edited:
I had BFG KO2's for 50K miles and hated them every mile. They were noisy and harsh and destroyed my MPG's. I now have cooper discoverer AT3 XLT and love them. They ride like butter and are dead silent on the highway until you get above 80mpg. MPG's really didnt improve enough to speak of, but I am also running a bigger tire. I know these are more aggressive than what you are looking for but I definitely would consider the regular cooper at3 for what you are looking for. I couldnt find much about coopers here in this forum but there is a trove of reviews about them on the diesel truck sites and domestic truck sites.

tempImageUZkdnx.png

Last edited:
I had BFG KO2's for 50K miles and hated them every mile. They were noisy and harsh and destroyed my MPG's. I now have cooper discoverer AT3 XLT and love them. They ride like butter and are dead silent on the highway until you get above 80mpg. MPG's really didnt improve enough to speak of, but I am also running a bigger tire. I know these are more aggressive than what you are looking for but I definitely would consider the regular cooper at3 for what you are looking for. I couldnt find much about coopers here in this forum but there is a trove of reviews about them on the diesel truck sites and domestic truck sites.

View attachment 3520604
What size are you running? Lift needed?

Def Ltx ms2 vote here. Got LTs but still ride impressively comfortable at 40 psi. Like the slightly better sidewall design too. Tow similar to your weight & so far so good. Good luck w decision. Good choices for sure.

Thank you for all the replies. It looks like the Defender is a great option and thanks for turning me onto the Cooper option as well. It looks like I have a little more homework to do to decide between those two...

I’d go MS2. I have the Firestone destination XT mentioned above and they’re pretty good, quieter (although the pitch is a little higher) than my KO2s and much better on wet pavement.

We do just enough hard-ish off-road that I’ve shied away from the defenders (and the other more mild ATs) thus far. It’s my opinion that the very mild all terrains like the Yokos and the Trail terrain are mostly for looks as the slightly more aggressive tread and sidewall isn’t aggressive enough to actually help off-road, while sacrificing on road when compared to the defenders.

I’ve even considered selling my rock warriors to go back to 18s so I could stuff in a 295/70 ms2…. A bigger ms2 might thread the needle for me…

The Geolander has been really good for me (45k miles). I don’t deal with snow or heavy towing, but they are a great balance between comfort, looks and capability.

My wife’s 200 just got the Defenders MS2s and they are really impressive for family duties.

Another vote for the Defender LTX M/S2. These will be my new tires, even though I love the Toyo OC AT3 on my 4Runner.

My 2013 LC came with the Defender LTX M/S (not the 2) when I bought it, and I immediately thought less of them for the blatant lack of aggressive tread: How could it not be strictly a street tire? Not that image is everything, but I didn't want to sully the "Land Cruiser" name either.

However, in searching for a replacement, this tire comes out ahead of the pack in the "all terrain" world, generally speaking, and it has unmatched road handling for towing (I tow 6,000 lbs, so road manners are ultimately my priority). Surprisingly, it also does very well on snow and ice compared to any other AT tire. And it can hold its own in most off-road conditions outside of rock crawling. It also holds up to wear very well, which is not something many other AT tires can claim. There are multiple threads here about the Defender being the ultimate overloading tire (often to the surprise of the author).

I've learned to live with the bland look, because I know it performs very well in the areas I prioritize and gets me through everything else. I will likely be running my Defender LTX M/S for the rest of the 2024 season and will replace them (as they are simply nearing end of life) with the M/S2 in the fall/winter for the slightly more aggressive tread.

I have close to 10k on my GO15s and I really like the. I completed a Colorado to East Coast road trip with them over the summer and the performed well. I have been through 3 snowstorms so far in Colorado with no issues. I have decided to leave them on this winter (my Blizzaks are toast and I don't feel like dropping another 1200) to see how they work in the cold and snow. So far so good.

I had KO2s on a 4runner and I did not like them. Harsh, loud and horrendous in the snow.

I tow 5000lbs frequently with P rated Defender LTX M/S in 275/65r18 and love them. I have been towing boats with SUV’s for 35 years and towing with my Cruiser for five, and I can say with confidence that you do not need (and I feel you do not want) LT-E rated tires for towing. P rated truck tires will handle the full towing capacity of the truck.

If you need thicker sidewalls for rock abrasion resistance off road then by all means consider LT tires. But I have towed up to 8k on iso-metric/P rated tires with no issues on various vehicles. Adding unsprung weight isn’t going to help braking or acceleration when towing. I raise tire pressure a few psi above the door jamb pressure when towing to reduce squish but otherwise no adjustments are needed.

Defenders all the way

1- Everyday usability- needs good on-road manner, decent mileage (so no KO2s or AT3s) - Defenders win for this after I tried out Falkens
2- Snow performance: I live in coastal California but go skiing a lot. I want to avoid a second set of snow tires. - I to live in CA and did a writeup of using the Defenders in CA snow such as the sierras
3- Towing capability: I occasionally tow a 3900lbs camping trailer with a 500lbs tongue weight
4- Occasional light off-road trails (nothing crazy) - Defenders will do it!
5- Weight and size close to stock, although would like to try 1 aspect ratio larger than stock. - You might need to go to 18s to get the best weight and size for the Defenders
5- Good looks would be nice but would not sacrifice form over function. - Function over form!

Thank you! Is P-metric the same as XL? I find the load rating so confusing and it's not for a lack of research. If it does I think that the XL rated LTX MS2 are the ticket for my application. Thinking of getting 275/55/20 since they don't come in stock size.

Thank you! Is P-metric the same as XL? I find the load rating so confusing and it's not for a lack of research. If it does I think that the XL rated LTX MS2 are the ticket for my application. Thinking of getting 275/55/20 since they don't come in stock size.
I used Americas tire for sizing and research as well as buying them.

I find other sites like Tire Rack incorrect at times.

Isn’t 285 Width stock for the 200s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom