Best tap and die set? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AKPoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Received my overland metric bolts and nuts set and realized I don’t have a tap and die set to clean up all the threads. Any one have suggestions on kit to purchase for my 40?

Received my overland metric bolts and nuts set and realized I don’t have a tap and die set to clean up all the threads. Any one have suggestions on kit to purchase for my 40?
I’ve used the big harbor freight kit a ton and like it. In all honesty, you can probably get away with 3 sizes- 8x1.25 6x1.0 and 10x1.5(it’s been a minute so someone will correct if I’m wrong).

Just make sure the set you get has the sizes and thread pitch most common for your truck. M5 -M10, thread pitch 1.00 - 1.50

ACE / IRWIN / HANSON

nothing else comes close !

I’ve used the big harbor freight kit a ton and like it. In all honesty, you can probably get away with 3 sizes- 8x1.25 6x1.0 and 10x1.5(it’s been a minute so someone will correct if I’m wrong).
That’s true. All I really need is 6x1.0, 8x1.25 and 10x1.25 since that is the majority of fastener sizes on the fj.

If you are simply trying to clean up threads that already exist, don't use a tap and die set, use a thread chaser/cleaner set.

71MLFMW7XJL._AC_SY355_PIbundle-60,TopRight,0,0_SH20_[1].jpg

A set like this cleans/straightens damaged or clogged threads without removing material.

If you are simply trying to clean up threads that already exist, don't use a tap and die set, use a thread chaser/cleaner set.

View attachment 3294309

A set like this cleans/straightens damaged or clogged threads without removing material.
Thanks Byron, didn’t know such a thing even existed.

I bought a big Matco tap and die kit. The metric and standard combination has been money well spent. Probably one of the best investments I have made that has saved many projects progressing forward in unexpected instances when damaged threads would have halted it.

I picked up used matco sae and metric sets on ebay a few years ago. Lightly used, good quality less than 1/2 price. I had to buy a 9x0.75 die to chase radio peg threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom