Best replacement radiator for the money today... (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ended up getting a CSF CS3006 from SummitRacing for $130 free shipping. After the two leaky Densos and the positive reviews on CSF, I went for that one. When I opened the box lid, it said something like factory pressure tested, and that put my mind at ease. Installed and put about 200 miles on and no leaks.

I'm very happy with the fit and finish of the Koyo brand. Everything was spot on and looked fantastic. I'm normally an OEM only kinda guy when buying parts but this time i'm more than happy with the unit. Will stress test it this weekend when i take her up the mountains to go snowboarding, a lot of uphill climbs.

sketchy as in getting out or to from a country in the middle east.

I told myself if I ever get another radiator online I will pressure test it out of the box first, no matter what sort of fittings I need to make it happen. It took me 4 shipments to get a non leaker. I'm still bitter.

Well, I finally got it all back together (simultaneous with TB job so took extra long). The CSF radiator is in, fits perfect, continental hose on, mcmastercarr clamps, no issue, no leaks. Originally installed with no thermostat, filled with distilled water, ran the car, drained, and then x2 more times, crystal clear coming out before I filled with Zerex (and of course put in the new thermostat). So between the CSF $130, Continental hoses $30, and McMastercarr clamps ($30). got a new radiator and hoses in for ~$200. I think thats pretty dang good. Only thing I was a little nervous about was how tight to do the McMastercarr clamps, partially because earlier I broke the thermostat inlet and worried about tightening too much and breaking a pipe but I needed that style clamp with the aftermarket hoses to make sure they dont leak.
Here's the before situation. You can see on the lower left at one point I put the wrong screw (too long) into the fan shroud and went right into the radiator, also making a crack beneath between plastic and aluminum.
IMG-4059.jpg

Try to patch with jb weld, didnt let it dry out enough before adding coolant so it always had a little pin hole. Coolant would drain down fall over the fan and blow back at the drive/timing belt, not good obviously but went on for 7 seven months without a hitch other than adding 2 gallons of coolant over that time period topping it off.
IMG-4057.jpg

I used some hose and plastic conditioner on them, makes em look real nice. The fan shroud is new as well because I broke the right upper bracket and then cracked the old one in half replacing the fan clutch seventh months ago.
IMG-4094.jpg

LOL interesting that we got the same pin hole leak but on opposite sides, this must be where they join the plastic pieces together to make the top. the weak link of it, i don't think a solid piece would have a leak like that.

I need to do mine before the summer and been following this thread for along time.
How much trans fluid do you lose when replacing the radiator?

I need to do mine before the summer and been following this thread for along time.
Barely any if you clamp or plug the hoses when you switch. Have a qt on hand you’ll be fine.

0 ounces from the outlet. I pinched the line with needle nose vice grips and shoved a sharpie up the poop chute as soon as i disconnected. I took the nubs from the new radiator and put them on the old radiator when disconnecting in case any would drip out.

Had mine replaced with OEM. However, didn’t get the foam strip between the top of the radiator and the front framing. Anyone got a part number for that?

Need help from the community. Ordered the CSF from Summit Racing as others have done. The box showed up pretty banged up and clearly was repackaged with additional packing tape. I called Summit who offered to take it back but asked that I test it first. My question is what damage do I look for on the radiator itself and/or how do I test. This will be my first radiator job so complete novice here.

IMG_9694.JPG

Need help from the community. Ordered the CSF from Summit Racing as others have done. The box showed up pretty banged up and clearly was repackaged with additional packing tape. I called Summit who offered to take it back but asked that I test it first. My question is what damage do I look for on the radiator itself and/or how do I test. This will be my first radiator job so complete novice here.

View attachment 2273814

Check the fins (small metal blades on both sides) and make sure they are not bent or disturbed. Also look at the top, bottom and sides for cracks or appearance of use/damage.

If there's anything concerning I wouldn't waste the time installing to uninstall.

I did this for the first time and it wasn't very hard. Just take your time.

Well, I knew this LX was going to be a labor of love just not the first month I owned it. Radiator blew on Saturday. Fortunately it happened in the driveway. This will be my first radiator swap.

CSF rads meets or exceed oem radiators in terms of quality. Never had any issues with any I’ve ever installed.

Just installed my CSF this past Friday along with new upper and lower hoses and the complete heater tee assemblies. So far, so good. I still need to add the foam strip across the top, but that's really it. Not 100% sure what the foam does though. Drove it hard over the weekend and experienced zero issues (188-190 steady on the temps).

B1E5ECEF-32DF-496F-B8E4-470D30A1B1A6.jpeg

81C47022-B963-4A28-B2E9-5CFC01CE074A.jpeg

46137BB8-F5EB-4D3E-AD34-929BD204BD62.jpeg

527868B6-1A52-447E-81F0-58B0339C68BA.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 2273814
Did you end up having to return it for
being damaged during shipping?

So overall consensus has shown that the Denso radiator from Rockauto might be a hit or miss? Koyo and CSF are probably the best bet?

Did you end up having to return it for
being damaged during shipping?
I just called Summit and requested a return and replacement sent. Fins were bent and given my inexperience with radiators and the pristine pictures others have shown of CSF radiators I didn't want to deal with the uncertainty. New radiator is on order and Summit said to hang onto the old one for 10 days and then junk it if I don't hear back from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom