Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would keep the cut through between the two holders, to allow for things with side handles or just big mugs.
My Yeti coffee cup has a handle that is 22mm wide. And I completely agree with the slot between.

Update on the cupholder.

This is a very primitive prototype to test the fittings with the center console panel.

Some design goals:
(1) No foldable cover (space taken by the cover and its mechanism is released for larger and deeper cupholders)
(2) Match factory panel contour
(3) maybe a modular design for placing cellphone, wallet, etc

View attachment 2336955

View attachment 2336960
Collecting ideas. Many thanks guys.

" I would keep the cut through between the two holders, to allow for things with side handles or just big mugs. " @FLWookie
" My Yeti coffee cup has a handle that is 22mm wide. And I completely agree with the slot between. " @gregnash
" I'd be inclined to have a Nalgene size slot and a slot for smaller drinks. " @jlm43
" make A new piece with the round wells larger diameter to fit hydro flask or Nalgene bottle...3.58 inches for hydro flask.3.5 inches for nalgene... mount flush with the console making the wells larger at the same time... Perhaps another design idea, inserts for different size cups. While I love the large size for my hydro flask, that big makes a 20oz coffee slop around. But a removable insert to nest in the cup holder for those times when smaller holders are needed would be pretty sweet! " @Stovations
"... looks more factory " @spc7669
' I really enjoy the BH3D cupholders in my 80, they fit a Nalgene as this will, and they have an insert for smaller cups/cans that make them nice. You might think about a similar insert? (Unless there's a fancier method you already have in mind to contain smaller items) " @I Lean
a possible insert @gregnash
" It appears that the cuphholders will be tall enough to stand proud of the level of the center console. It might work to design a projection off the passenger side cupholder forward over the seat heater controls to some sort of bin sitting over the blank space between the transfer case shifter and the seat heater controls. Obviously this would have to be open to the seat heater controls, but would lend some additional storage to the center console for change, or cell phone, whatever. " @100serieslover
" On my stock cup holder I laid down a strip of felt tape to help with some rattles I had between the plastic and metal support. It helped quiet things down using felt tape on the last millimeter. " @neilsen100
" I am real interested in the total replacement unit with insert for sizing and the ability to use the FJ rubber insert. " @87warrior
" something slightly wider to fit larger vessels. Also something deeper. But keep the functioning butterfly or remake. I dislike the idea of the inserts. They are large and require storing or having multiple versions on hand. " @Gesose
" Actually, my 2000 LC has the butterfly. In fact, there are 3 positions for it, left/center/right. If I move it to the right position, it fits a Nalgene bottle on the left perfectly and still room for something on the right like a 500ml store bought water bottle or a soda can. " @RootMeanSqr
" One thing I'd be looking for in the cup holder setup is to have the phone slot on the passenger side. My thinking about this is two fold. 1) When driving alone I don't mind reaching across and when my wife is with me it is more important for her to have a place since my phone usually stays in my pocket. I have wireless carplay which helps. 2) I'd rather have my phone held in a place that the screen is visible, hence my question about relocating the hazard panel and putting in a RAM mount on the left side of the center console. " @neilsen100

Last edited:
Ben, how does that cup holder depth work with the support bar that is in there? Seems like it would interfere.

Ben, how does that cup holder depth work with the support bar that is in there? Seems like it would interfere.
Yes that is what I am doing. I am setting up the exterior design space. Will get to the last possible millimetre. After the exterior design space is determined, the interior design won't take too long.

Yes that is what I am doing. I am setting up the exterior design space. Will get to the last possible millimetre. After the exterior design space is determined, the interior design won't take too long.
Your comment about the last possible millimeter reminds me. On my stock cup holder I laid down a strip of felt tape to help with some rattles I had between the plastic and metal support. It helped quiet things down using felt tape on the last millimeter.

Your comment about the last possible millimeter reminds me. On my stock cup holder I laid down a strip of felt tape to help with some rattles I had between the plastic and metal support. It helped quiet things down using felt tape on the last millimeter.
Nice. I laid a strip of sound deadening material. It is a good idea to incorporate a strip of felt tape or similar material in the final product.

@BenCC .... have an idea about a mod to the overhead Scangauge mount. Mic on one side (already available) aaaaaannnnnnnddddd a mount for a Cat5 plug! I want to mount my GMRS radio (MXT275) in the back of the cab and then run a Cat5 line all they way through the cab, up the A-pillar and into the overhead console where I could have a Cat5 plug. I could quickly plug in the mic when on trails and then unplug it and stow it in the armrest when daily driving. I prefer the mic up high.

Phototyped. The coupler snaps in really good. Final product will be printed with black PETG.
1592009200209.png

1592009761568.png

Last edited:
I know I am side tracking again, but can we get something to deal with this situation? The least utilized area in the whole truck imho...

20200613_105135~2.jpg

... say switches, usb, inverter, cigar holder, pacifier holder, ham radio, sliding fridge, double drawers, camp lights, banana holder...

Hi Ben-can you design a fix for broken tabs on our 100 series vents (see picture). Those little tabs over time break off from heat and use. Maybe you could sell them in a 10 pack just to have on hand for fixing or aging cruisers. I can send you a vent to make a prototype.

View attachment 2334752

How do you get those out? Withouit breaking them!

Phototyped. The coupler snaps in really good. Final product will be printed with black PETG.
View attachment 2338161

View attachment 2338165

@BenCC .... SIGN me up for the first one out the door :) That rear "cupholder tray" replacement looks AMAZING too! I'll get one of those and 2 of the "cupholder" RAM attachments from you. Should I just go ahead and give you access to my checking account? LOL!

I think I come up with an adaptive/adjustable cupholder design. Basic idea is to use replaceable locking insert to accommodate different sizes. Click the video.

1592095862906.png

Planning to have two to three different sizes of inserts holding from very small to very large cups.

Last edited:
A more robust and modularized design.

The blue bracket is fixed directly to the sheet metal behind the plastic factory panel. This gives a solid foundation for the RAM ball to hold one or two drinks. For comparison, M7V1 and M7V2, attached to the plastic panel, are only for mounting lightweight 12V or 120V outlets.

The faceplate can be configured based on individual need. The configuration is on the CAD level. The faceplate is still a solid single printed part.

More testing is needed.

View attachment 2336769

View attachment 2336832
Finally the two holes lined up with the factory supporting structure.

1592104588133.png

I think I come up with an adaptive/adjustable cupholder design. Basic idea is to use replaceable locking insert to accommodate different sizes. Click the video.

View attachment 2339147

Planning to have two to three different sizes of inserts holding from very small to very large cups.

Ok, that's it. I've made up my mind. You are now my new Cupholder Engineer! The last guy was just not hackin' it...

@BenCC I sent you a PM for a Make idea, let me know if I should post here to get feedback from others. Thanks!

Hey Ben, how about producing something to fill part of the door slot: a) to store small items and b) to keep the slot from compressing and eventually cracking. Happened on my last truck and it's starting to happen in this one. Just a thought.

IMG_20200614_121301.jpg

Hey Ben, how about producing something to fill part of the door slot: a) to store small items and b) to keep the slot from compressing and eventually cracking. Happened on my last truck and it's starting to happen in this one. Just a thought.

View attachment 2339848
Great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

• cbbr
Back
Top Bottom