Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to play with a concept guys used to refinish Fuch wheels back when I was into old Porsches. (I guess they probably still do it...)

Just fill the well with paint and let it flow around the bottom, then tilt/turn to get it up on the walls. Any overage on to the top surface can be easily removed with some thinner or prep spray.

Or I just go the quick route, do some quick rough masking, spray the whole thing, then remove the white from the top surface.

The "fill the well" is exactly the technique I used on models and when I did golf club refinishing (paintfill). The key is to remove the excess paint about 1/2 way thru it's drying process.

One thing to mention if you plan on using a solvent on the prints- ABS will melt when exposed to various solvents (like acetone) so be careful with the application of chemicals like that. This can actually be useful to help smooth out the surface finish on printed parts (search on google for diy's).

One thing to mention if you plan on using a solvent on the prints- ABS will melt when exposed to various solvents (like acetone) so be careful with the application of chemicals like that. This can actually be useful to help smooth out the surface finish on printed parts (search on google for diy's).
I apologize. The large plastic piece holding the map lights, sunroof controls and sunglasses.
search overhead panel or console on eBay

Correct. ABS melt in Acetone.
The transfer case lever cap is printed in resin, which does not melt in Acetone.

I just finished this today. I used a bright white nail polish and 'filled the well' of the lettering. Wrap a low-knap, no-lint cloth around a cork or something flattish and relatively firm, moisten with polish remover, and wipe away the excess. This one took me like 5 'coats' to fill the lettering to where I wanted it.

20191204_113749.jpg

20191204_114208.jpg

20191204_151325.jpg

20191204_152044.jpg

Ben this work is fantastic! Would it be possible to make a replacement panel that surrounds the subwoofer cone area? I understand if not as this is slightly one off and unique. Finally found a replacement sub that fits my needs. I have the stock panel available to ship if needed. I can also closely cut out the diameter in the stock unit as best as possible. Currently it protrudes out, making the stock cover useless. Any ideas really could help as well from others :)

20191106_182312.jpg

Ben this work is fantastic! Would it be possible to make a replacement panel that surrounds the subwoofer cone area? I understand if not as this is slightly one off and unique. Finally found a replacement sub that fits my needs. I have the stock panel available to ship if needed. I can also closely cut out the diameter in the stock unit as best as possible. Currently it protrudes out, making the stock cover useless. Any ideas really could help as well from others :)

View attachment 2149009

I can do it. Cut the hole that fits the speaker then send me the panel. You can PM for detail.

Update on Make 12. @Jczajka @DC470

This is printed with ABS in tan. For a smoother surface, you can sand, apply primer, sand again, and paint.

View attachment 2145871

Steps of assembling.
1: Secure the microphone.
2: Attache the Ethernet cable and slide the Scangauge II in the mount.
3: Snap into the overhead panel.
4: Have the bracket ready with screws.
5: Attach the bracket as shown in picture and tighten the screws.
Note: Don't over tight.
6: This is to show the complete assembly. No wires are visible.

View attachment 2145805

Original plan was to attach the mount to the overhead panel through snap fit. But I don't think it is secure upon inspecting the prototypes. I added a "wishbone" bracket to mate with the overhead console utilizing three existing holes. The wishbone enhances the security of the snap fitting. No rattle at all.

View attachment 2145890

Hi Ben,

When will this be ready to purchase?

I like this wireless charger. Will try to integrate this somewhere, probably near the ashtray. It is not released yet. Just trying to see if anyone can get access to this product.

I like this wireless charger. Will try to integrate this somewhere, probably near the ashtray. It is not released yet. Just trying to see if anyone can get access to this product.

Check out the mount options from ProClip USA. These seem to be made from some sort of kydex material, which may not lend itself to printing. I've got one installed and it's rock solid.

Three versions of Make 12 (Scangauge mount for mini-link version overhead console).

1575784704942.png

V1 (Round-up)

Pros:​

• Mounts a mic in addition to the Scangauge
Cons:​

• May have limited view angle
V2 (Square-off)

• Mounts a mic in addition to the Scangauge
  • Better view angle

• May block the rearview mirror

V3 (Minimalist)

• Minimalist design by positioning a big portion of the Scangauge inside the overhead console.

• Does not mount a mic

Last edited:
Those look sweet! Way into V2 and V3. I can't wait to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom