Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I didn't know about this thread till last week. I read over the first few pages and I see people talking about broken switchplates, and I am a member in good standing in that community. I read and read and read, and nobody addresses the switchplate problem that costs $600 to fix with Toyota parts. Unless you own 2003 and later, then it's like $75 or something. I read for days hoping somebody pushed forward with this. I mean I read 40 something pages cause I just know somebody had to want to fix this. Nope, crickets only!

So at first I figured couldn't be done I guess. Thought about it a few days and thought WTH, let me send him a PM. He says, send me your switch and I'll look at it. I mean it ain't even been a week and it's fixed. IMO, this switchplate deal should have it's own thread! I'll bet there's ton of them out there. Below is an actual photograph of me when I saw those pictures above of a switch that can now last through a Nuclear winter!

smile-cartoon.jpg
Oh. My. God. That's a thing?!?! I had no idea that Ben had a fix for this. I'm ordering immediately. I freaking hate holding down that plate while I actuate the window switches, and like you I was absolutely shocked at the OEM price for a replacement.

So I didn't know about this thread till last week. I read over the first few pages and I see people talking about broken switchplates, and I am a member in good standing in that community. I read and read and read, and nobody addresses the switchplate problem that costs $600 to fix with Toyota parts. Unless you own 2003 and later, then it's like $75 or something. I read for days hoping somebody pushed forward with this. I mean I read 40 something pages cause I just know somebody had to want to fix this. Nope, crickets only!

So at first I figured couldn't be done I guess. Thought about it a few days and thought WTH, let me send him a PM. He says, send me your switch and I'll look at it. I mean it ain't even been a week and it's fixed. IMO, this switchplate deal should have it's own thread! I'll bet there's ton of them out there. Below is an actual photograph of me when I saw those pictures above of a switch that can now last through a Nuclear winter!

smile-cartoon.jpg

Definitely glad that this was taken care of. Never really knew what the hell was the deal with mine. It just doesn't sit flush and kinda pops up and down. When I took the door panel off to take care of the lock actuator motor, I found that it was a bit goobered and wouldn't sit properly. Never even thought to ask Ben to fix or look at.
Though when I get a chance I do want to work with him to make an insert of sorts to fix the stupid early gen (98-00) cup holders that don't have the butterfly. But that is for a different time when I don't have all kinds of other stuff going on and can take apart my center console. I want the wholes big enough to fit my Yeti 36oz bottle (at least on one side maybe).

Anyways, feedback tomorrow. I purchase Ram X-grip for my phone but thinking I am not liking it and may send back for the Quadlock system.

Though when I get a chance I do want to work with him to make an insert of sorts to fix the stupid early gen (98-00) cup holders that don't have the butterfly. But that is for a different time when I don't have all kinds of other stuff going on and can take apart my center console. I want the wholes big enough to fit my Yeti 36oz bottle (at least on one side maybe).

Hmmm, the cup thing is intriguing. Never thought about that.

Definitely glad that this was taken care of. Never really knew what the hell was the deal with mine. It just doesn't sit flush and kinda pops up and down. When I took the door panel off to take care of the lock actuator motor, I found that it was a bit goobered and wouldn't sit properly. Never even thought to ask Ben to fix or look at.

Anyways, feedback tomorrow. I purchase Ram X-grip for my phone but thinking I am not liking it and may send back for the Quadlock system.
Yup. I'm totally on board for a cup holder improvement as well. That insert in my '99 is too small for bigger mugs, and too large to hold skinnier things. That's the one thing that I've always liked about Chryslers, is their adjustable cup holders.

@BenCC @suprarx7nut I just got my RAM ball mount base and I have to say, I'm very impressed with this material! It feels great and has a luminous quality that is right at home in my LX interior (looks better than the factory black plastic). So now I have a couple of questions for you two:

1. Can you print a matching insert for the opposite side for the hazard/center diff lock buttons? I need symmetry in my life.

2. Is it possible to get other makes printed in the same material? I'll be honest, the almost-but-not-quite tan color and the idea of having to sand and paint are a turn off for me but I would buy a lot of makes in this color/finish.

3. It may have been asked before, but is it possible to 3D print headlight housings for either the LC or LX that could take round LED headlights (similar to what you're doing with the fogs and 3x3 lights)? I would pay handsomely for an LX quad headlight housing (5.75" main headlight and 3.5" driving lights) in ABS that were a bolt in deal without having to purchase a grill with it or pay the rust and weight penalty of steel, like kelly saad's offering.

Also, here's a pic of the RAM mount just because:

IMG_20200518_185532-01.jpeg

So I did my install last night... Feedback going to @BenCC but here it is with the Ram 6" extension and the X-Grip.
I will be returning the 6" extension as it does not allow for proper placement of the phone in a way that makes it "straight" (always has a tilt sideways and up). I did take it out and test it on some of the local fireroads and it did not bounce or vibrate from what I could tell. I decided to go with a double ball mount setup as that will allow me to position the phone better.
Once I get that piece, I will make the call on the X-Grip but it is highly likely I will return. The fit is just kinda "weird" and not user or one hand friendly, and if not positioned properly you either shut your phone off or mess with the volume (which bugs the ever living crap outta me).

Otherwise, install was pretty simple and straight forward, fit and finish is top notch and love the way the material is for the plate!

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So I did my install last night... Feedback going to @BenCC but here it is with the Ram 6" extension and the X-Grip.
I will be returning the 6" extension as it does not allow for proper placement of the phone in a way that makes it "straight" (always has a tilt sideways and up). I did take it out and test it on some of the local fireroads and it did not bounce or vibrate from what I could tell. I decided to go with a double ball mount setup as that will allow me to position the phone better.
Once I get that piece, I will make the call on the X-Grip but it is highly likely I will return. The fit is just kinda "weird" and not user or one hand friendly, and if not positioned properly you either shut your phone off or mess with the volume (which bugs the ever living crap outta me).

Otherwise, install was pretty simple and straight forward, fit and finish is top notch and love the way the material is for the plate!

by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So, went to install this on my 98 LX. There is a "tab" (left side of pic below) from the climate control console that "covers" the inboard mounting. It appears vestigial. Can't see how it's needed. Wondering if I need to trim that piece off the climate control back. Can't mount the backing plate properly with that tab in the way.

F3DBE5EB-F454-464E-ADA0-B17482A01AA0.jpeg

So, went to install this on my 98 LX. There is a "tab" from the climate control console that "covers" the inboard mounting. Wondering if I need to trim that piece off the climate control back. Can't mount the backing plate with that tab in the way.

View attachment 2311703
Nope that is exactly what mine looked like... Took a bit of pressure to get the top bolt to start threading. Just didn't use one of the screws on that side as it was more than tight enough with the two bolts holding the backing plate to the front. Everything else lined up perfectly.

Nope that is exactly what mine looked like... Took a bit of pressure to get the top bolt to start threading. Just didn't use one of the screws on that side as it was more than tight enough with the two bolts holding the backing plate to the front. Everything else lined up perfectly.

Interesting. Wondering if the lack of the "inboard" screw will effect stability. It didn't impact the angle of the mount at all then? I'm do lots of bouncy gravel and rock trails.

Interesting. Wondering if the lack of the "inboard" screw will effect stability. It didn't impact the angle of the mount at all then? I'm do lots of bouncy gravel and rock trails.
Nope... that is what I did last night and did not seem to have a single issue with it missing that one screw. And I didn't bother to airdown or anything so I was hitting some pretty rugged rocky climbs at 38psi! (Know that was a bad idea, real bad but I needed to get the #$%^ outta dodge for a bit).

@BenCC @suprarx7nut I just got my RAM ball mount base and I have to say, I'm very impressed with this material! It feels great and has a luminous quality that is right at home in my LX interior (looks better than the factory black plastic). So now I have a couple of questions for you two:

1. Can you print a matching insert for the opposite side for the hazard/center diff lock buttons? I need symmetry in my life.

2. Is it possible to get other makes printed in the same material? I'll be honest, the almost-but-not-quite tan color and the idea of having to sand and paint are a turn off for me but I would buy a lot of makes in this color/finish.

3. It may have been asked before, but is it possible to 3D print headlight housings for either the LC or LX that could take round LED headlights (similar to what you're doing with the fogs and 3x3 lights)? I would pay handsomely for an LX quad headlight housing (5.75" main headlight and 3.5" driving lights) in ABS that were a bolt in deal without having to purchase a grill with it or pay the rust and weight penalty of steel, like kelly saad's offering.

View attachment 2311696

1. This is all up to @BenCC
2. I hope so! I'd love to provide more prints. These are excellent applications for my printer and material. It's way more expensive to print with my stuff, but the result can remove a lot of manual post-processing so I think the cost premium will be worth it for many folks. Ultimately up to @BenCC though since I'm just a supplier for his creations.
3. Definitely possible, maybe not economical. 3D printing scales linearly with size unlike most other manufacturing methods. That means small and detailed stuff is a great fit. The larger you get the more likely it is to be too expensive to print. That being said, @BenCC can print things very economically if you don't need near metal strength nor the surface finish from your M2V2 example.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

That is definitely something to get used to with the X-grip. The rubber contact points often line up with a power button or volume button. In my experience, that minor inconvenience has been worth it. The X-grip is just super stable, American made, and ultra durable.

So, went to install this on my 98 LX. There is a "tab" (left side of pic below) from the climate control console that "covers" the inboard mounting. It appears vestigial. Can't see how it's needed. Wondering if I need to trim that piece off the climate control back. Can't mount the backing plate properly with that tab in the way.

View attachment 2311703

Ben will know better than me, but I think that backing plate will provide all the needed stability if it still presses against the back side of the panel.

That is definitely something to get used to with the X-grip. The rubber contact points often line up with a power button or volume button. In my experience, that minor inconvenience has been worth it. The X-grip is just super stable, American made, and ultra durable.

Yeah.. the one handed user friendly thing is more a deal breaker for me. If the system were a bit easier to remove one handed then I would possibly give it a chance. I am going to hold on to the X-Grip till I get the other adapter (probably this weekend) extension and try it for a bit.
Otherwise it will be the Quadlock Moto 1" ball mount system. Built specifically to be compatible with the RAM mount stuff and is easily one handed. Did some review searching last night and lots of mixed reviews of the X-Grip (little rubber ends tend to come off easily, not overly user friendly, stupid rubberband to add extra hold, etc.) and lots of the adventure moto guys start with the X-Grip only to go to the Quadlock. Their biggest gripe seemed to be the proprietary nature of the "case" needed vs. the X-Grip being compatible with any case. But when looking at cost comparison, it is pretty negligible for me.

Yeah.. the one handed user friendly thing is more a deal breaker for me. If the system were a bit easier to remove one handed then I would possibly give it a chance. I am going to hold on to the X-Grip till I get the other adapter (probably this weekend) extension and try it for a bit.
Otherwise it will be the Quadlock Moto 1" ball mount system. Built specifically to be compatible with the RAM mount stuff and is easily one handed. Did some review searching last night and lots of mixed reviews of the X-Grip (little rubber ends tend to come off easily, not overly user friendly, stupid rubberband to add extra hold, etc.) and lots of the adventure moto guys start with the X-Grip only to go to the Quadlock. Their biggest gripe seemed to be the proprietary nature of the "case" needed vs. the X-Grip being compatible with any case. But when looking at cost comparison, it is pretty negligible for me.

Look at their new "wireless" charging base mounts. The look pretty sturdy and most likely one-handed (like my RAM tab-tight tablet mount on my dash).

NVMD! Just saw the price! WOWZERS!

Look at their new "wireless" charging base mounts. The look pretty sturdy and most likely one-handed (like my RAM tab-tight tablet mount on my dash).

NVMD! Just saw the price! WOWZERS!
Yeah I did see the new wireless charging base from Quadlock, bit cost prohibitive at this point. Not a huge fan of wireless chargers in vehicles unless they are in a dedicated cubby.

Yeah I did see the new wireless charging base from Quadlock, bit cost prohibitive at this point. Not a huge fan of wireless chargers in vehicles unless they are in a dedicated cubby.

Yeah, the Quadlock (non-charging) seems the way to go for secure hold with one-handed removal. Couple friends of mine use them on their mountain bikes. Their phones NEVER fall off despite incredibly rocky terrain. When they're done, they just press the tab, twist and the phone comes right off. Pretty nifty. Looks like a case for my phone and the RAM mount would be $60 off Amazon. Not bad at all.

Yeah, the Quadlock (non-charging) seems the way to go for secure hold with one-handed removal. Couple friends of mine use them on their mountain bikes. Their phones NEVER fall off despite incredibly rocky terrain. When they're done, they just press the tab, twist and the phone comes right off. Pretty nifty. Looks like a case for my phone and the RAM mount would be $60 off Amazon. Not bad at all.
Yeah same cost on their website, plus you can get a 10% off when signing up for their newsletter. No tax or shipping from them but PRIME is always nice.

I like this material too.
1. I don't have a plan yet. It is not a urgent need.
2. The price will go double or triple if other makes printed in the carbon fiber nylon.
3. Headlights housing is too large. I have been souring a larger format printer.

View attachment 2311696

Reactions: BEG

View attachment 2311703
Trim if off. That piece does not do anything on LC.

1. This is all up to @BenCC
2. I hope so! I'd love to provide more prints. These are excellent applications for my printer and material. It's way more expensive to print with my stuff, but the result can remove a lot of manual post-processing so I think the cost premium will be worth it for many folks. Ultimately up to @BenCC though since I'm just a supplier for his creations.
3. Definitely possible, maybe not economical. 3D printing scales linearly with size unlike most other manufacturing methods. That means small and detailed stuff is a great fit. The larger you get the more likely it is to be too expensive to print. That being said, @BenCC can print things very economically if you don't need near metal strength nor the surface finish from your M2V2 example.
Thanks for the reply! I agree with you on point #2. Not having to finish the piece is a huge value-adder for me.

With regard to #3, I think there's a design opportunity there to create a front bucket "face" and a rear backing plate, just like the M2V2. The actual headlight adjuster brackets are cheap and can sandwich the front and rear backing plate to create the necessary rigidity.

I like this material too.
1. I don't have a plan yet. It is not a urgent need.
2. The price will go double or triple if other makes printed in the carbon fiber nylon.
3. Headlights housing is too large. I have been souring a larger format printer.
1. OK, I can wait, lol.
2. So...is it double or triple? If it's a part I have to look at every time I get in the car, I could be persuaded...
3. That's what I figured. I do think there's a big opportunity if you can make larger parts. Printing tail light and headlight buckets, printing an entire overhead console instead of being limited to the inserts, printing dash panels, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom