Bendix Rotors Have Bigger Diameter Lug Holes Than The Old Rotors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I ordered some new rotors since I’ve been redoing my front axle, knuckle rebuild, new bearings, new brakes, etc. The old rotors I pulled off were too old and rusty. I ordered some new Bendix PRT1510 rotors from rock auto and the stud hole diameter is slightly bigger than the rotors I pulled off, it seems to hold pretty good once I tighten the bolts. Will the fact that the new rotors hole diameter is slightly bigger than the old cause any issues in the long term, like rotor shifting a little when braking? Should I use some red thread locker on the bolts that hold down the rotor?

75FJ40 with’76 disc brake axle

Your disc will be held tight by thightening the rim, no worries on the holes dia for the studs IMHO as long as the hub hole dia is fitting normaly (no play).

Do not thread lock the little set screw or it will be a big pain to remove later. This screw is just for convinience and avoid the disc to move when you assemble the rest of brake system, including installing the wheel on studs. Many brake systems (including some toyota LCs) dont have this set screw.

The 2 bolts hold the rotor in place along with the rim. You should be fine.

Edit: this post info is wrong.

Last edited:
Your disc will be held tight by thightening the rim, no worries on the holes dia for the studs IMHO as long as the hub hole dia is fitting normaly (no play).

Do not thread lock the little set screw or it will be a big pain to remove later. This screw is just for convinience and avoid the disc to move when you assemble the rest of brake system, including installing the wheel on studs. Many brake systems (including some toyota LCs) dont have this set screw.

Have you ever worked on a 75-79 wheel hub? All of this information is incorrect for @meatloaf 76 axle

@meatloaf it sounds like you got a 1980-newer rotor. Return it and get a correct 75-79 rotor. I have OEM ones

Actually looking at the bendix part # application, it appears it's a universal fit or something. . Either bolt on or press in studs? They use the same part number for early and later rotors.

Last edited:
So I ordered some new rotors since I’ve been redoing my front axle, knuckle rebuild, new bearings, new brakes, etc. The old rotors I pulled off were too old and rusty. I ordered some new Bendix PRT1510 rotors from rock auto and the stud hole diameter is slightly bigger than the rotors I pulled off, it seems to hold pretty good once I tighten the bolts. Will the fact that the new rotors hole diameter is slightly bigger than the old cause any issues in the long term, like rotor shifting a little when braking? Should I use some red thread locker on the bolts that hold down the rotor?

75FJ40 with’76 disc brake axle
In '76 they used rotors that bolt onto the rear of the hub. The rotors I last bought from NAPA had 8 holes. 6 the size of the studs and 2 x 10 mm holes. There are a few different options.

1) return the '79-'84 rotors and '76-'78 rotors.
2) use your old rotors as a jig to drill 4 extra holes to have 6 x 10 mm holes (double check size) which is what I did a few years back with my brake job.
3) other mud users have found small washers/bushings to make up the extra space.

Luis I found rotors at O’Reilly (10 years ago) and they were a perfect fit on my 77. They’ve held up well, no warping or issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom