Belgian Maltec(ish) Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's finally arrived! Time to start building!

Last September I bought a HZJ75 in Belgium, took it to Maltec in Germany to fit a pop top roof on it, and then brought it back to Belgium to depart from Zeebrugge... right as the entire world was shutting down. So it sat at the Port for another good while, before finally departing to Baltimore. Anyhow, this week I took delivery of the truck.
@gilmorneau - thanks for locating this truck, and putting me in touch with Mike. I couldn't have done it without him.
@Akella - 1HD-T is sitting in the garage, awaiting it's transplant. Thanks for the refresh.
@joekatana - It's been a hot summer in FL, can't wait to pop in that AC system. Have you installed yours? Any install issues to note?
@umpqua @SNLC @c2dfj45 @divemedic - Your guys' threads and advice have helped immensely in getting my prepared to tackle this project! Thank you all!

IMG_8782.JPG
IMG_8783.JPG
IMG_8787.JPG
IMG_8791.JPG

Last edited:
Stoked for you......that thing is SUPER cool. We'll have to get together and have a Troop Carriers of FL meet up :)

First order of business is going to be stripping the interior and addressing the body work. Contemplating pulling the body off and getting a good rust prevention treatment on the frame as well. Would make the engine swap a bit easier as well. Afterwards the car will get a full repaint. After following @c2dfj45 troopy build, I have a good plan on how to address the interior with spectrum/raptor, etc. Chris, can I come use your Hotsy?!? haha

Here are some initial thoughts, comments/suggestions appreciated. This will be a full camper build (eventual long term travel), so bear that in mind.

- Suspension: Full Dobinsons kit. Likely 8 leaf heaviest load option. What kind of rear shock? Also plan for Dobs steering damper?
- Likely something along the lines of 295/75/16 or 285/75/17.. steelies vs alloys TBD
- ARB front bumper & I kinda like the Dobinsons rear bumper. Any other rears to consider? Most likely run two tire carriers.
- Stock single tank, would like to add auxiliary. There's the OEM version, and the long ranger, correct? Any cost/benefit to either of those?
- Want 20+ gallon stainless steel water tank, which may factor into the answer for the above question (weight/space).
- Exhaust is rusted out anyways, so any rerouting suggestions? Likely just install the tanks and then this becomes self explanatory.

After I get the basics out of the way, I start considering the interior buildout. Will keep you guys posted with pics as I tear into this.

First order of business is going to be stripping the interior and addressing the body work. Contemplating pulling the body off and getting a good rust prevention treatment on the frame as well. Would make the engine swap a bit easier as well. Afterwards the car will get a full repaint. After following @c2dfj45 troopy build, I have a good plan on how to address the interior with spectrum/raptor, etc. Chris, can I come use your Hotsy?!? haha

Here are some initial thoughts, comments/suggestions appreciated. This will be a full camper build (eventual long term travel), so bear that in mind.

- Suspension: Full Dobinsons kit. Likely 8 leaf heaviest load option. What kind of rear shock? Also plan for Dobs steering damper?
- Likely something along the lines of 295/75/16 or 285/75/17.. steelies vs alloys TBD
- ARB front bumper & I kinda like the Dobinsons rear bumper. Any other rears to consider? Most likely run two tire carriers.
- Stock single tank, would like to add auxiliary. There's the OEM version, and the long ranger, correct? Any cost/benefit to either of those?
- Want 20+ gallon stainless steel water tank, which may factor into the answer for the above question (weight/space).
- Exhaust is rusted out anyways, so any rerouting suggestions? Likely just install the tanks and then this becomes self explanatory.

After I get the basics out of the way, I start considering the interior buildout. Will keep you guys posted with pics as I tear into this.

Bring it up and test out the Hotsy.....available anytime. You'll be amazed. Just bring some kerosene :)

Awesome!! So glad you finally got this emancipated from Zeebrugge. Must have seemed like forever.

First off, SUPER jealous of the Maltec pop-top. They wouldn't sell me one, only a complete conversion. Don't know how you convinced them, but more power to you.

First order of business is going to be stripping the interior

As you'll soon see, this is about an hour's worth of work, if you stop for snacks and beverages a few times. lol... A real one banana job.

My advice? Clean the sh*t out of everything before you even start working on it. Interior, exterior, chassis, motor, everything. Remove everything that's bodged or that you're not going to use. Bin it all. It is SO much better and easier to work on a clean, un-bodged car.

Start a list for Partsouq.

-Talk to @umpqua about suspension. He's got his Troopy kitted sort of like what you're planning, so the weight and usage will probably be about the same.
-I'd vote alloys. Keeps the unsprung weight down and they're plenty strong.
-OEM spare fuel tank will probably require a donor body and some welding, but if you're going to be in there anyway.... Aftermarket tanks are likely an easier install.

Looking forward to your progress!

My troopy has oem ac but I want to install one of the kits in a LJ73 and HZJ73 that I have here , hope to get them in my hands soon as this darn covid delays everything in Europe.

@joekatana - I have rear drum brakes.. seems other markets switched to disk brakes in 1990 or 1992, depending on market. Looking at suspension kits, is it reasonable to assume that a kit for a 1984-1990 drum brake setup would work on this 1994 drum brake model?

I'm on drums.....92. Never came up when we ordered the Dobinsons suspension.

@joekatana - I have rear drum brakes.. seems other markets switched to disk brakes in 1990 or 1992, depending on market. Looking at suspension kits, is it reasonable to assume that a kit for a 1984-1990 drum brake setup would work on this 1994 drum brake model?

The OME leafs I have are good from 1985 - ??? drum or disc. My Troopy has a LSD axle from a '95 HZJXX

The HZJ73’s got rear didc brakes but the 70 and 75 kept drum brakes.
This makes no difference for the suspension and if you want rear disc brakes you can always swap a 73 axle in.

If you need front replacement fenders or any other rust repair panels let me know , I have a few left here at the moment.

I will follow this and congrats.

My troopy is built out and the weight is coming in the mid 7K lb range. I've got the OME suspension. I think there's something like 10-12 leaves in the rear spring pack and even with the weight the ass doesn't sag. The main fuel tank is ~23 gallons and there is a 50 gallon aux tank. Also I have ~25 gallons of water in a stainless tank underneath. Seldom run both tanks full. Esp with the water.....a LOT of weight.

You should take a look at Iron Man suspensions. They have a distributor in the US near Portland and my mechanic is now starting to use their suspensions....he likes them. Also they have a pretty nice front bumper.

My rear bumper came from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. I like it as the doors remain easy to open without the use of a latch. Kaymar is supposed to have a nice bumper but not sure how readily available they are here in the states.

Way to go on the maltec top. I have the Alu-Cab and it has mixed reviews with me.

I will follow and let me know how I can help.

Been a slow start, but finding all the nice rust holes that were covered/filled with spray-in insulation foam! Got the rusty bumpers off too.. looks neat like this. But ARB front is ordered, Expedition One rear, OME suspension. Easy to get the big stuff out of the way.. the little details are where my list is getting long.
Just did a deep dive on wheels - and I'm a bit cross eyed at this point... but am I crazy to consider something like this trailer wheel? Offset/Backspacing would work.

16"x6" Silver Mod Steel Wheel

Powdercoat it black, and throw a set of 285/75/16 on it. Might be pushing it, but I've seen others run this size on a 6" wide wheel. Thoughts? The other wheel alternative this size would be to just go OEM. I've e-mailed Stockton wheels in case I decide to go wider steelies, but don't know if it's worth it at that price. I must say, I wasn't prepared for the limited selection of wheel choices with the correct backspacing.
IMG_8808.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8814.JPG

The only 7x-series Landcruiser I've seen with zero rust in that rear quarter where the jack/tools go is the one in my driveway. All the others have been rusty there. One of the ones I had, a PO had stuffed a rag in there, presumably to clean his hands if he needed to change a tire or whatever, but, of course, the rag gets wet in there, and holds moisture, and....rust. Pretty sure the panels are still available new.

Re: those wheels, I'm not sure I'd want to trust my life to a $40 wheel. 4-wheeling is a much different application than holding a trailer up off the ground. If you want 16x6 steel, get 42601-60262-03 Toyota wheels. I've got them on my Troopy and love them. Super well made. More than $40, though. For the tire size you're considering, I'd probably go with a wider wheel than 6". If there's room for them, 80-series alloys are 8" wide (perfect for your chosen tire size) and have the correct zero offset. 1" more backspacing, of course, so you'd need to crawl under there and see if you have clearance. I agree, there's a paucity of wheel choices with zero offset.

Check out this wheel thread I think a few have put the 16x7s on Troopys. I got the 16x8's on my 45, test fit them on my 75, but would need a lift to run the 35's.

Is the Maltec top fiberglass or metal?

Looks like its going to be a cool build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom