Barn Find 1965 FJ45LPB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know you are not scared of long distance travel in your Cruisers, so maybe one day you'll have to come out to AZ for some wheeling.

That is great that the paint is shining up. It's going to look amazing when you're done buffing it up.
That would be awesome. AZ is one of the few western states I haven't had the pleasure of wheeling in yet. and seeing your epic trips in the LV makes me want to get out there even more :beer:

Very nice truck indeed! Congratulations!! I look forward to seeing the end result of all your hard work.

Congratulations on a nice looking find, the vehicles history similar story to mine. I sometimes think its amazing how working vehicles such as these managed to survive for decades when so many got mistreated, neglected and abused when they started to get on in age.

that's a great colour to

Right now the 45 is sitting on some I believe old chevy 16.5x8 six lugs and that isn't going to work for me. I usually tend to go with the stock 15" steelies on my cruisers but years ago I fell in love with another spring green 45LPB and it was sporting 16" non-USA split rims. It belonged to Bull at the time of these pics.
bulls FJ45-split rims.jpg

splitrims.jpg

So right now I am leaning towards some splits in the later factory grey color as I think it is a nice contrast to the spring green. If anyone has a lead on a set please let me know. Think I will run the Coker STA Traxion 6.50x16 tire :D
7.00x16l.jpg

Congratulations on a nice looking find, the vehicles history similar story to mine. I sometimes think its amazing how working vehicles such as these managed to survive for decades when so many got mistreated, neglected and abused when they started to get on in age.

that's a great colour to

It is amazing and they are getting harder and harder to find :beer:

Nice 45. I put some 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T on my non USA splits. I love them. Just another option for you.
image.jpeg

JP, Im currently running 34x9.50 swampers on splits! Always loved the split rim look! Been after this barnfind for 15 years!! They have told me they will call me first when they are ready to sell! View attachment 1161222 View attachment 1161222 View attachment 1161223

Man Brian that is a beautiful 45, I love those swampers I ran them for years on one of my 40s and 45. You still rocking the stock 3spd. and F engine in that thing? If so I bet you dread hills :D

Also sweet barn find! Though I no longer feel bad about stealing this one out from under you :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Nice 45. I put some 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T on my non USA splits. I love them. Just another option for you.
View attachment 1161295

Beautiful 45 cppilot!! 255/85/16 is probably my favorite tire size all time for 40/45s. I am running a set of KM2's on my '67 45. Are you running the stock drivetrain with those tires? If so how does the 3spd/ Old F handle it?

Man those floors look great.
Yes they are! It is so nice not to have to mess with rust repairs for once :beer:

Yes, stock F and 3 speed. It does fine. The hills are a different story though. I also ran the KM2 MUDs for a while but had rub issues. With these old rigs you sure can't have it all. Tire size and original looks were important to me.

I do have some stock steels to use my hub caps with if I want a change. It's a different look for sure. These are Yokohama Y42S in a 700/15
image.jpeg

Yeah I ran 3spd/ F for years in college with 32x9.50 swampers and my rig cried at the sight of a steep hill. Heading up into the mountains i'd be pushing 30 to 35mph full throttle with a line of angry drivers behind me :doh:

I do have some stock steels to use my hub caps with if I want a change. It's a different look for sure. These are Yokohama Y42S in a 700/15View attachment 1161317

Stock steelies with those acorn hubcaps has always been my go to, I love that look! But now that SOR.com is the only source for the hubcaps at $150 a pop, it is too steep for my blood. Which is why I am leaning towards the splits. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Unfortunately it has a 350 hp fuel injected sbc, h42 splitcase and 3.70 gears! I have to say, hills are not a problem! Built it to be a daily, go anywhere rig. The cruiser 4 spd really is a great street trans, shifts nice, gear spread is great, especially with a v8! Your rig reminds me of the disney 45 before it rusted away! It went to the Right home, just dont let it rust out there!

I hear you on that. Luckly I have a few sets and an old set put away for the future. I was not sure about the future availability on these so I stocked up.

Your 65 looks very similar to mine. No rust issues sure is nice. My 65 was unbelievable. Only service rust, one owner farm truck used to fetch Christmas trees. No wonder the East Coast guy are envious. Lack of salt sure makes a big difference.
image.jpeg

Here is my 65 before the restoration was started earlier this year.
image.jpeg

Unfortunately it has a 350 hp fuel injected sbc, h42 splitcase and 3.70 gears! I have to say, hills are not a problem! Built it to be a daily, go anywhere rig. The cruiser 4 spd really is a great street trans, shifts nice, gear spread is great, especially with a v8! Your rig reminds me of the disney 45 before it rusted away! It went to the Right home, just dont let it rust out there!

Haha yes I imagine your 45 chuckles at hills! I am hoping that is what my 1HZ-T 45 build will be like :beer: Don't think I've seen the "Disney" 45, got any pics? Must have been the west coast Disney cause I surely don't remember one in Orlando from my child hood years.

I am worried about the rust, we don't have snow and salt here in the south but we do have lots of rain and horrible incessant humidity :bang: ..... I am torn because I want to leave the truck alone and preserve the original patina. Though I feel I need to pull the body and bed to at least sand blast and respray the undersides to keep rust at bay. I may even do the interior floor pans and bottom of the bed but I hate to mess with the great character of the truck.

Here is my 65 before the restoration was started earlier this year.
View attachment 1161336
Wow, I thought my '65 was as about as good as it gets in the original survivor category, but yours takes the cake. It looks incredibly straight and clean, factory PTO too boot. I am jealous :grinpimp: Do you have a build thread for the resto?

No I do not, but it should be finished by Christmas. I'll send you some photos then. I have always like the spring green color of yours. I think yours is just as nice honestly and a great story as well. I love long road trips to pick up cruisers. It's the anticipation.
And then to get it home and realize you turly have a RARE gem. You should be very, very happy!!

As far as the originality, I too struggled with the resto or keeping the patina. I am glad I went the resto way because there are areas that you just need to get to. Like under the windshield to tub area and some of the bed areas for sure.

Regards,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom