Barn Find 1965 FJ45LPB (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good call IMO!

Been busy moving and working on getting my '65 FJ40 road worthy. With that accomplished hope to soon turn my attention back towards the barn find 45. In the meantime I uploaded a walk-around video from when the 45 first arrived, ignore my 3 year old jabbering in the back ground :grinpimp:

Pulled the old girl out of storage this weekend in hopes of reviving her for the Carolina Relic Run being put on by ONSC in mid April. I've definitely got my work cut out for me. The farmer I bought her from said she'd be sitting for near 15 years :eek:, but I love nothing better than bringing these old rigs back to life! Already ordered a bunch of OEM goodies from Beno. Should have some good progress to post in the weeks to come.

IMG_0822.JPG

Her twin
IMG_0827.JPG

Also finally bit the bullet and bought a car hauler... no more U-haul for me :cheers:
IMG_0820.JPG

Last edited:
Having your own trailer is the way to go. I like your twins in spring green.

Having your own trailer is the way to go. I like your twins in spring green.

It really is. I should have gotten one years ago, I probably could have two of them for what I have spent with U-haul over the years.

The other 45 is the first one I ever bought, she has been waiting patiently for a heart transplant now for a couple of years. My new pole barn should be finished in March sometime hopefully and I'll finally have a place for all my projects and hopefully more time to actually finish them :beer:
IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Building Pad is ready!
IMG_0839.JPG

A 1HZ is a nice motor. Mmmmmm.

Hey @ClemsonCruiser what is 'compound polish' - I've obtained some new-to-me panels that need only polishing up so I can have that Clemson Family look.

Hey @ClemsonCruiser what is 'compound polish' - I've obtained some new-to-me panels that need only polishing up so I can have that Clemson Family look.

Hey Cult,
I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound (Meguiar's : Home) but really any polishing compound will work. Just be careful and apply by hand avoid using a buffer as it will burn through the paint quickly. Good Luck :beer:

Finally had a free weekend to work on the 45. First order of business was to asses the condition of the original F135. I was told by the PO that it was in good running condition when parked 15 years ago, but that is all I had to go on. Since it had been sitting 15 years earlier in the week I removed the spark plugs and poured a little Marvels Mystery Oil in the cylinders and over the valve train. I let that soak in for a few days then Saturday when I went to turn the engine over by hand I was pleasantly surprised that is spun smoothly and with ease. Over all the head looked in great shape very clean and no noticeable wear, later when cleaning the engine I came to realize that the head had been rebuilt at some point hence it clean appearance.

IMG_0901.JPG

With everything on the engine free and checking out OK so far it was time for a compression test to see if the old F135 had any life left in her :grinpimp: In my recent move I lost my good compression tester so I bought a cheap one from Autozone to do this test with. I am not sure how accurate it is numbers wise but I was pleasantly surprised to find the results where very consistent across all cylinders. Seems this of engine might still have life left to give :beer:

IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG

Going to be ready for the relicit run with onsc?

last two cylinders

IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG

With the engine seemingly in good shape, rather then trying to fire her up we decided to pull it. That way we could clean it up and address any leaking gaskets and seals. I will say it is probably the dirtiest Cruiser engine I have ever dealt with. The combination of oil leaks and very fine powdery sand over the years lead to gunk caked on an inch thick in places :doh: . I placed orders for all new components for the engine so we will get her cleaned up, painted, and buttoned back up.

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG

With the engine removed and my Pops started on the long process of unbolting all the ancillary items and cleaning all the gunk off, I decided to tackle the engine bay. It has a lot of dirt, grease, and general stains on it, but I knew the original paint was still good underneath. So I got out my green Scotch Brite and some CLR mixed with warm water. Lots of elbow grease later I went from this....
IMG_0930.JPG

To this.........

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

Its far from perfect but is certainly much easier on the eyes :D That's it for now, hope to have all my new parts in this week and get this thing knocked out.

Going to be ready for the relicit run with onsc?
That's the plan, might be unrealistic as I only have two weekends left to work before the event due to vacation time coming up. We'll see how it goes :beer:

I see you had your pit crew making sure you performed the compression check correctly! Your rig is looking good!

I see you had your pit crew making sure you performed the compression check correctly! Your rig is looking good!
Hehe....yep it was pretty cool having 3 generations of Virgo's helping out all weekend :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom