Barn Find 1965 FJ45LPB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After a rough day, a sunset cruise with the puppy dog calms the soul.

7B8068E1-3621-4AB5-9149-3D96D2FD25B3.jpeg

2067B969-12E5-41BA-8F9E-E4C80C7D86AA.jpeg

hOOter

epic thread :beer:

@hooter

Any updates? Of all the ones I’ve let go I think I miss this old 45 the most!

Hope you and the Cruiser are well 😎

100%
The one I regret the most @ClemsonCruiser
But honestly didn’t have a choice
My wife is coming up on 5 years on 2/14/2024 coming home post surgery as a glioblastoma survivor surgery chemo again radiation etc etc …a “terminal” brain tumor with median 15 months survival

So while I “regret” selling this one more than any other…it helped pay the way for us still being here….

I am glad this one is still known where it lives!!!
Updates if any!!

Last edited:
Whew. Almost lost her today….

The front flexible brake lines were a little long and have a bow in them. With the new larger tires, it rubbed. Zip ties held it away from the tire, but zip ties failed over time due to vibration/loosenig . This allowed the brake line to rub the tire. Today, the brake line burst under full brake coming to a downhill stop. A single cylinder brake line failure lets the pedal goes straight to the floor with NADA brakes.

A dead pedal is an ominous feeling with a need to fully brake. Emergency brake was grasped but not enough to stop going downhill. There were 2 cars at the stop sign and I took a hard right up the hill to avoid a collision. Went up the hill and straight back down backwards. Took out a bush. A jeep towed me back up the road to flat ground and other than a bruised ego, no damage. Coulda been much much worse.

She lives. Unscathed.
IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2493.jpeg

New brake lines on order. Will replace and adjust the emergency brake pads as I felt like they could have been more helpful. I’m still a little jittery but all good.

hOOter

Send that thing to me and I’ll put proper brakes on it

Don’t do it
Put a dual master on
we lived 100 years like this and didn’t die or need to overly modernize old iron out of a catalog cause it’s maybe harder than a catalog
Drums are fine
Maintenance is maintenance
Single circuit brakes with or without discs or drums are what they are

Or get/make some of these, they’re original functionality.
IMG_1646.jpeg

Ok. But for what? This?

I don’t know. That truck is superb with drum
Brakes or disc brakes.

No one has ever looked at my 45 then scoffed at it due to the disc brakes but I’ve loved them.

They are still manual. I work them every stop

But they stop straight and true.

Last edited:
Seems like use should dictate how we set up our 45s. If the use is on country roads predominantly, then why depart from the original MC and drums? Maybe drums with dual MC and proportioning valve (if necessary) if there’s more paved driving and higher speeds? If there’s significant paved driving and high speeds, boosted dual MC with discs makes the most sense. After all, modifications of the front axle and MC is still being done with Toyota parts. Have to agree with Nolen and Chris on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom