Backer Plate Eliminator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disassembled the steering knuckle and disk brake on my 1979 front axle. The backer plate/dust shields are pretty nasty and I was considering getting them blasted and powder coated. However, I see “backer plate eliminators” for sale. Would I be better off getting a set of those, rather than trying to salvage the original backer plates? I assume there’s a good reason the eliminators are an option…..

They're an option for the same reason locking hubs are...it gives you something to spend your money on.

They're an option for the same reason locking hubs are...it gives you something to spend your money on.
Fair enough. I guess the question is really, “if I have to spend money either way, should I spend it to rehab the backer plates, or to buy the eliminators?”

You might consider why the eliminators were created in the first place. Factory backing plates are a great place to trap mud and debris while wheeling in rough areas. The debris would cause havoc on the brakes. By eliminating the backing plate it prevented the build up of debris and allow what was left to cleaned out easier.

Last edited:
You might consider why the eliminators were created in the first place. Factory backing plates are a great place to trap mud and debris why wheeling in rough areas. The debris would cause havoc on the brakes. By eliminating the backing plate it prevented the build up of debris and allow what was left to cleaned out easier.
That’s very helpful, thank you. I think I’ll put the funds toward eliminators. I’m not sure how well the backers would have cleaned up anyway, as they seemed to have taken a bit of abuse while installed. Thanks again!

However, backing plates provide a mounting spot for the brake lines - eliminators don't, as far as I know. Leaving the brake lines to "float"

Contact Cruiser Outfitters

Screenshot_20230208-141305_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-141257_Chrome.jpg

Good to know. I guess my knowledge predated these products. I’ll think about that next time I rebuild the knuckles.

I suppose I should link the option I offer in this thread as well, PN143-04X from my website

1676394409894.jpeg

And I continue to recommend it as a superior option because when the axles need servicing, a one piece hose from the axle to the caliper avoids having to breach the hydraulic system to service the axle. GM started doing it that way in the ‘70s.

Last edited:
Curt,
If I use the regular eliminator do I need longer hoses?

Yes.

I prefer the variant with the tab as it allows you to run a nice tight/robust factory hardline up to the rubber hose connection, thus keeping the rubber hose up out of harms way. However the standard variant has been used in hundreds and hundreds of applications with great results too!

Yes.

I prefer the variant with the tab as it allows you to run a nice tight/robust factory hardline up to the rubber hose connection, thus keeping the rubber hose up out of harms way. However the standard variant has been used in hundreds and hundreds of applications with great results too!
The stock hose is too short. I need a hose about 3” longer. Do you guys sell one 10” long?

The stock hose is too short. I need a hose about 3” longer. Do you guys sell one 10” long?

For what year Cruiser? What size fittings? We'll definitely have what you need.
Assuming you have 10x1.0 female flare on the axle side and need the 10x1.0 male flare on the caliper, part# BRH33005 is 11.5" long

Shoot an email to our parts team (info@cruiseroutfitters.com) and they can get you taken care of.

For what year Cruiser? What size fittings? We'll definitely have what you need.
Assuming you have 10x1.0 female flare on the axle side and need the 10x1.0 male flare on the caliper, part# BRH33005 is 11.5" long

Shoot an email to our parts team (info@cruiseroutfitters.com) and they can get you taken care of.
1985 FJ60 2” OME lift

We've had great luck with the backing plate eliminator with the line tab. We stock hard lines and hoses to fit them as well.

View attachment 3248104

In your picture posted here, the hose is female on both ends.

What is your part number for this piece, as I would like to order them

Thank you!

In your picture posted here, the hose is female on both ends.

What is your part number for this piece, as I would like to order them

Thank you!

There are two different ones. Frame to knuckle or the style that is axle housing to knuckle. Which one are you after?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom