Awesome Towing MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Just got back from Camping @ Big Sur California... Towing our 3900lbs (dry weight) trailer up highway 1 with 285's BFG AT's no re gear, I averaged about 9.5 mpg! Not bad for having over 200,000 miles and climbing.... Now I know about how far I can go with out the need to carry spare fuel... not to say I needed to.:cheers:

At what speed? On the highway, I get 17 if I stick to 65. My around town mileage is typically 11ish. I have an arb, winch, sliders, 285s, and stock gearing. Did you GPS the mileage or go by the odometer?

Sounds about right to me. You could tape off all the panel gaps, grill, etc., and maybe get 9.6. =) I average around 13mpg in my mix of city/highway driving.

I get 9 mpg if I am lucky with an empty truck
But I think the 6 inches of lift and bias 37's have something to do with it.

That is not bad towing mpg in the mountains if you ask me.

Just got back from Camping @ Big Sur California... Towing our 3900lbs (dry weight) trailer up highway 1 with 285's BFG AT's no re gear, I averaged about 9.5 mpg! Not bad for having over 200,000 miles and climbing.... Now I know about how far I can go with out the need to carry spare fuel... not to say I needed to.:cheers:

That's the same we average while pulling our trailer. :D

PICT0019-6.jpg

That's the same we average while pulling our trailer. :D

PICT0019-6.jpg

Wow. I always figured my 3200 pound pop up was about the max Id ever want to pull. How much does that thing weigh and are you pulling any hills? I am looking for a new trailer and haven't shopped travel trailers because I didn't want to replace the tow vehicle. I do like to camp in the Appalachians.

And in keeping with the original post, I always got around 12 pulling my pop up (250,000) miles. The lower wind resistance might help there. I haven't pulled since I replaced the motor but I am getting 12 without anything attached to the back. Hopefully it will improve with break in and switching oil afterwards.

With GPS, I've found that I actually travel 4.9% greater distance than shown on the odometer. I have verified this with 3 different GPS units. I have a Superlift Truspeed to install, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Wow. I always figured my 3200 pound pop up was about the max Id ever want to pull. How much does that thing weigh and are you pulling any hills? I am looking for a new trailer and haven't shopped travel trailers because I didn't want to replace the tow vehicle. I do like to camp in the Appalachians.

And in keeping with the original post, I always got around 12 pulling my pop up (250,000) miles. The lower wind resistance might help there. I haven't pulled since I replaced the motor but I am getting 12 without anything attached to the back. Hopefully it will improve with break in and switching oil afterwards.

Mine weighs about the same as Mazder's.

I have to pull hills on almost every trip we go on. Some are alright... some are painful. :lol:

The key is to get your momentum up before the hill, and don't let off until you crest the grade. :D

Now that the kids are getting older (and bigger), we've pretty much outgrown our current setup. We're going to upgrade to a 28'-32' trailer with at least one slide-out... which means we'll have to upgrade to a domestic diesel pickup at the same time. :doh:

What have you guys pulling those larger trailers done to the rear suspension (if anything) and are you running trailer brakes?

you guys are nuts. I wouldn't pull anything near that large with that puny motor, short wheelbase and tiny brakes. I would be nervous pulling a pop up or a small boat.

you guys are nuts. I wouldn't pull anything near that large with that puny motor, short wheelbase and tiny brakes. I would be nervous pulling a pop up or a small boat.

:D

I have a Hensley Hitch. No sway whatsoever. It pulls like a dream.

Same here, Brake controller, sway control, and load leveling hitch, (airbags and new shocks in the future!) I manage 35mph going up a 7% grade. Ive noticed since installing my hood louvers my temp gauge hasn't climbed into the red so soon or easily either. Scan gauge is also in the future plans though.

Same here, Brake controller, sway control, and load leveling hitch, (airbags and new shocks in the future!) I manage 35mph going up a 7% grade. Ive noticed since installing my hood louvers my temp gauge hasn't climbed into the red so soon or easily either. Scan gauge is also in the future plans though.

You'll love the scan guage. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom