New to me UZJ100 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I sold my 1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser a couple months ago and was going to stick with my daily driver X5 BUT I got T-Boned at an intersection a few weeks after I sold the 80 that totaled the X5 so I took the cash and bought another Land Cruiser!

This time I picked up a 2001 with 105,000 miles with every option including the NAV, it has updated Maps from 2010 and was owned by one owner since new who only had it serviced at Greenwich Village Toyota in CT. It’s pretty clear the dealer did not leave anything on the table in terms of maintenance as the rig is absolutely mint inside and out besides a little surface rust on the under carriage. Out the door for 12,500 bucks.

Picked it up a few weeks ago and did the typical 5-8 hour cleaning of the interior and exterior, I replaced the fading interior wood trim with some new stuff from ExoticWoodTrim.com that really made the interior look brand new. I also put on a set of 305/70R16 Hancook Dynapro ATM RF-10’s, I had them on my 1996 and feel they are simply the best tire you can buy for SUV’s. I am having some 1.25” Wheel spacers from Slee put on today along with fixing the emergency brake and replacing all of the brake lines as one had developed a slight leak over the weekend.

All in all I am really excited to be back in a Land Cruiser, as nice as the X5 was I think I have really become a Land Cruiser guy at this point. The V8 upgrade is also really nice as are the heated seats over my bare bones 1996!

Looking forward to update this thread with new photos as I slowly upgrade the rig like I did with my 1996!

Day I picked it up:

vbq7.jpg

9y44.jpg

2meb.jpg

Photos as it Currently sits, 305/70R16 Hankcooks and removed the goofy rear wing, otherwise totally stock on the exterior.

2w7l.jpg

zb7z.jpg

ulu7.jpg

ee1p.jpg

hlqp.jpg

More to come,

Thanks for looking
Ben

This time I picked up a 2001 with 105,000 miles with every option including the NAV, it has updated Maps from 2010 and was owned by one owner since new who only had it serviced at Greenwich Village Toyota in CT. It’s pretty clear the dealer did not leave anything on the table in terms of maintenance as the rig is absolutely mint inside and out besides a little surface rust on the under carriage. Out the door for 12,500 bucks.Ben

Very NICE!:clap: Especially for the price and miles on it!
One minor thing, and I don't know if it matters to you or not, but there is one option that I noticed that you do not have, and that's the e-locker for the rear differential. You have a nice clear photo of the drivers side with the door open and I do not see the little rotating knob that would be just to the left of the steering column for the e-locker.

Still a very nice ride!:cheers:

Thanks for the complements!

As far as I know the E-Locker was only available from 1998-1999 (and early 2000) mine being a 2001 the option was no longer available and it came with ATRAC instead I could be wrong though as I am new to the 100 series.

Right, the e-locker was only an option on 98-99 LC's. 2000+ got ATRAC.

That is a pretty good buy for an 01 with 105k miles. I'm assuming the 90k maintenance was done as well (Timing belt, etc.).

They did the 90k service at 85k miles so I should be all set on that end, the receipts say everything with the 90k services was done so I am pretty sure its good to go. its going in for the first check up today by the mechanic I have been using for the past 12 years so we'll see if anything else comes up but it drives like a dream so I am assuming nothing big comes back.

one thing that makes me nervous is the Brake Master Cylinder and the Brake Booster, seems like the parts are incredibly expensive and there are a bunch of issues on I8MUD about people having $3,000 quotes to repair or replace them!!!

hopefully the brake leak i noticed this weekend is not either of those!

Got the 100 back from the mechanic Friday with a good bill of health, he replaced the front brake line coil that had sprung a leak as well as did a full tune up on the whole truck, flushed every fluid and went over anything that looked like it could need attention so i should be all set for a while barring any unforeseen issue.

I also had him put on my Slee 1.25" Wheel Spacers. I put some spacers on my 1996 and really felt it changed the way the truck looks and the same is true for the 100 series. its now looking like it should have from Mr. T, Nice wide stance wide tires that fill up the wheel arches and no rear spoiler! I recommend the spacers from Slee to anyone, the kit came with everything you need including lock-tight and the blue color that can be seen through the wheels is kind of cool too.

Enjoy the photos, I think I am done for now but am thinking about a 1" Body lift or finding someone local who could help me torque the front torsion bars and putting a spring spacer in the rear as having another inch of clearance would look pretty good I think.

mn6x.jpg

w5az.jpg

9bq4.jpg

4px1.jpg

lj73.jpg

Thanks for Looking :beer:

Is be interested in a picture straight down the side of the truck to show how far, if at all, the tires stick out beyond the body. Lookin good!

Nice rig. You got me thinking about those wheel spacers. Does look good to get them a little farther out. How hard was it to pull out the old wood trims in the interior. Not a big fan of wood trims in the dash or anywhere so I'm looking into replacing them with carbon fiber. Thanks for providing the link.

TwiceWithHair;
here are some photos I took that show the tires bumped out, keep in mind these are 305's and i imagine 285's would stick out slightly less. if the photos are unclear essentially about 1/8th-1/4" stick out at the front tire and the rear tire is virtually aligned with the fender, passes Mass inspection no problem, as did my 1996 that had roughly the same outcome.

3vem.jpg

hqdy.jpg

4xuj.jpg

Aljogav;
The wood trim was not that bad to take off. the biggest thing i learned was use a hair dryer and if you can pull it off in the summer when its hot out. I did it when it was around 20 degrees in a garage and i realized quickly it could have been easier in the summer. ALSO, use some sort of a plastic prying tool rather than a metal screw driver or something, this will lessen your chances stabbing any gouges into your plastic as some of it is kind of fragile.

the place www.exoticwoodtrim.com is absolutely incredible quality 178 dollars total and the fit and finish is fantastic and it really looks nicer than the stock stuff Toyota put on. I liked the bare plastic look on my 1996 but the 2001 looks much better with a little wood, I ended up buying the Cherry Wood for my tan interior and am very happy with the outcome!

JungleJack: the body is absolutely cancer free straight and true, but being a CT Cruiser it does have some surface rust on the undercarriage unfortunately, nothing to worry about I don't think but definitely not as clean as my 1996 i bought in Florida.

Thanks for looking
Ben

Man that is a good looking Cruiser!! I though I had found me one but changed my mind because of condition and it has the factory fender flares. Looking at yours, I'm glad I didn't get it because it doesn't look near as good as yours. I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with those fender flares. I really like the size tires you went with also. I'm going to keep driving my Taco till I find the right one

Any rubbing around wheel wells with your 305/70R16 ? I assume you're stock height, no lift.

With out the wheel spacers there is no rubbing what so ever with the 305/70R16 Hancooks, with the wheel spacers however there is extremely light rubbing when turning full lock to the right or left. However I remedied this issue by snipping away about 1/4" triangle on either side of the front bumper with a sawzall, you cant even notice it cosmetically, and it solved the rubbing issue 100%

Man that is a good looking Cruiser!! I though I had found me one but changed my mind because of condition and it has the factory fender flares. Looking at yours, I'm glad I didn't get it because it doesn't look near as good as yours. I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with those fender flares. I really like the size tires you went with also. I'm going to keep driving my Taco till I find the right one

Thanks I really like what it looks like now too, Just debating on doing a slight body lift to get a little more clearance. I never saw to many 100 series with the fender flairs when I was looking, but it seems as though they were a dealer installed option, so Toyota didn't even ship the trucks with them installed. for that reason alone I would look for one that didn't have them never mind if you ever take them off you would run the risk of having scratches and discoloration underneath the flairs. I think its a good move waiting for one that you like rather than jumping on a cruiser that's available now!

Are the houses leaning or is it the camera lens?

Haha,

The houses are definitely not leaning, i did not notice that till you pointed it out though, weird camera angle. the neighborhood is an old migrant worker area so the workmanship of the houses is not what you may expect from 500k+ 900 square foot condos but still not enough to lean that badl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom