ARB Twin Compressor Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LXColorado

LX -> LC
Threads
Slee was having a deal, so I decided it was time to buy a real air compressor. I've gone through four air compressors with two SUV's (the ones you get at Pep Boys). In the amount of time I've spent inflating tires, I could have had another trip under my belt! So, I purchased the ARB Twin Compressor, Manifold Kit, Pump-Up Kit, and Slee Dual Battery Tray (which doubles as the air compressor mount).

This was the most technical thing I've done in regards to electrical and wiring - it was a steep and frustrating learning curve for me. It took me a full day, and a lot of undoing and re-doing work. In the end, I learned a lot about the truck and improved my skills. Win-Win.

I wanted the compressor switch in a location that was accessible yet out of visual sight. I originally planned on putting the switch left of the steering wheel by the side mirror adjuster, but eventually I'd like an aux. tank and I'm reserving that spot for the fuel pump switch :D. I thought about putting it by the gear lever as well, but couldn't bare the thought of cutting into the center console. In the long run, I think I chose I good location. I figure if I change my mind down the road, it's a lot cheaper to replace the side plastic piece, than the entire top console piece.

The part most frustrating was figuring out which factory wires to splice. I ended up splicing into the middle 12v outlet by the ash tray. I used both the positive wire for power and lighting from the same outlet (the middle 12v has two connections for power and the lit ring around it). The second-most challenging part was running the control switch harness from the compressor, through the firewall, and to the center console. Who knew you could break a sweat by running electrical wires?!

Eventually, I'll add an air tank so I can run power tools.

Parts/Items used that were not included in the kits:
- Tap splicers (for the power and lighting wire) and butt-end splicers (to extend wiring from the compressor to the main battery).
- 5ft. extra of 1 x 8 gauge, 2 x 10 gauge, and 1 x 14 gauge wire
- Heat shrinks for the butt-end splicers
- Thread goop for the compressor lines

EDIT: I had a minor leak this morning coming from the compressor manifold bolt (it's the bolt that attaches the SS line from the manifold kit to the compressor). I, like an idiot, cranked the bolt a few more times to really get a good fit. CRACK! I completely shattered the manifold in the compressor. I ran over to the awesome folks at Slee and got some good info, a new manifold, and a couple of electrical terminals to make the battery connection side pretty - seriously awesome people over at Slee, can't say enough about them. So, on to the info from Slee...The bolt and thread housing are, albeit slightly, off from one another. This is compounded by the effects of a tapered connection bolt (which ARB forgets to mention in their directions). Long story short, the fix is to use gasket maker and teflon gas (yellow) thread tape. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE BOLT! If there's a leak, redo the seals. It's a good idea to use gasket maker and the yellow thread tape for all connections.

IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think hitting the switch with your leg will be an issue?

I am an oddity... I typically sit closer than most to the steering wheel. I like to be able to grab the steering wheel with a completely rested arm on the arm rest :D No concern, at least for my seat position, of accidentally tripping the switch.

Slee was having a deal, so I decided it was time to buy a real air compressor. I've gone through four air compressors with two SUV's - the ones you get at Pep Boys. In the amount of time I've spent inflating tires, I could have had another trip under my belt! So I purchased the ARB Twin Compressor, Manifold Kit, Pump-Up Kit, and Slee Dual Battery Tray (which doubles as the air compressor mount).

This was the most technical thing I've done in regards to electrical and wiring - it was a steep and frustrating learning curve for me. It took me a full day, and a lot of undoing and re-doing work. In the end, I learned a lot about the truck, and improved my skills. Win-Win.

I wanted the compressor switch in a location that was accessible, yet out of visual sight. I originally planned on putting the switch left of the steering wheel by the side mirror adjuster, but eventually I'd like an aux. tank, and I'm reserving that spot for the fuel pump switch :D. I thought about putting it by the gear lever as well, but couldn't bare the thought of cutting into the center console! In the long run, I think I chose I good location. I figure if I change my mind down the road, it's a lot cheaper to replace the side plastic piece, than the entire top console piece.

The part most frustrating was figuring out which factory wires to splice. I ended up splicing into the middle 12v outlet by the ash tray. I used both the positive wire for power and lighting, from the same outlet (the middle 12v has two connections for power and the lit ring around it). The second-most challenging part was running the control switch harness from the compressor, through the firewall, and to the center console. Who knew you could break a sweat by running electrical wires?!

Eventually, I'll add an air tank so I can run power tools.

Parts/Items used that were not included in the kits:
- Tap splicers (for the power and lighting wire) and butt-end splicers (to extend wiring from the compressor to the main battery).
- 5ft. extra of 1 x 8 gauge, 2 x 10 gauge, and 1 x 14 gauge wire
- Heat shrinks for the butt-end splicers
- Thread goop for the compressor lines

EDIT: I had a minor leak this morning coming from the compressor manifold bolt (it's the bolt that attaches the SS line from the manifold kit to the compressor). I, like an idiot, cranked the bolt a few more times to really get a good fit. CRACK! I completely shattered the manifold in the compressor. I ran over to the awesome folks at Slee and got some good info, a new manifold, and a couple of electrical terminals to make the battery connection side pretty - seriously awesome people over at Slee, can't say enough about them. So, on to the info from Slee...The bolt and thread housing are, albeit slightly, off from one another. This is compounded by the effects of a tapered connection bolt (which ARB forgets to mention in their directions). Long story short, the fix is to use gasket maker and teflon gas (yellow) thread tape. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE BOLT! If there's a leak, redo the seals. It's a good idea to use gasket maker and the yellow thread tape for all connections.

View attachment 1301417

View attachment 1301418

View attachment 1301419

View attachment 1301420

View attachment 1301421

I just did this install but looks like you installed the manifold where the battery goes? Did you buy the bracket just for the compressor? I just installed this and that was initially what I wanted it for just for the compressor but now seems like I should get the battery to make it complete.

Hey. Yeah, I attached the manifold to the battery tray. I don't need a dual-battery set up right now. If I do a dual battery, I'll likely run a line from the compressor to a larger holding tank, and get rid of the manifold all together. The idea is to have the tank to run power tools for changing tires, etc. The other reason I'm not running a dual battery is because the install requires a lot more than just another battery. To be able to charge the second battery, and have it function to your liking, requires a lot more $$$ than it's worth right now (for me atleast). So the battery tray functions purely as a compressor bracket, which is fine, because it was included in the compressor purchase (Slee was having a promotion) :D

Hey. Yeah, I attached the manifold to the battery tray. I don't need a dual-battery set up right now. If I do a dual battery, I'll likely run a line from the compressor to a larger holding tank, and get rid of the manifold all together. The idea is to have the tank to run power tools for changing tires, etc. The other reason I'm not running a dual battery is because the install requires a lot more than just another battery. To be able to charge the second battery, and have it function to your liking, requires a lot more $$$ than it's worth right now (for me atleast). So the battery tray functions purely as a compressor bracket, which is fine, because it was included in the compressor purchase (Slee was having a promotion) :D

Cool well if you ever decide to do it below is a pic of my install you can install the manifold on the front side of the bracket. I'm doing the dual batt set up next. I had to move my bussmann fuse box in order to fit this tray.

20161031_181324.jpg

20161031_181332.jpg

Has anybody installed a twin compressor with the battery on one of Slee's new trays? I put mine in today, but as you can visualize from the other pictures posted, with the battery in place, you can't access the air connection on the front of the compressor. I don't have a manifold kit since I don't have lockers.

I don't know much about air fittings/hoses. Presumably I can relocate that connection somewhere, but I don't know what I need to do that.

I have, but I don't think I have a good pic of what you're asking for.....I went to Lowes and put together some brass fittings, including a 90,....also, I have a little room, since I'm running an Optima there....will try to remember to get a better pic tomorrow.....

Has anybody installed a twin compressor with the battery on one of Slee's new trays? I put mine in today, but as you can visualize from the other pictures posted, with the battery in place, you can't access the air connection on the front of the compressor. I don't have a manifold kit since I don't have lockers.

I don't know much about air fittings/hoses. Presumably I can relocate that connection somewhere, but I don't know what I need to do that.

That's what the picture above your post is, it's the slee battery tray/compressor tray. I used a brass 90 degree elbow to move the output Iine and up to be accessible worked great.

I have, but I don't think I have a good pic of what you're asking for.....I went to Lowes and put together some brass fittings, including a 90,....also, I have a little room, since I'm running an Optima there....will try to remember to get a better pic tomorrow.....

Thanks, if you have a picture that shows what you did with a bit more detail that would be awesome. Also, do you have a relay/controller installed with your dual battery setup? If so, where did you mount it? I've got a blue sea ML-ACR ready to go in and I'm looking at the back side of the slee bracket or in front of the air box.

Nice setup! Did you wire your compressor back to the start battery or right off your second for convenience?

Thank you! I ran the compressor to the second battery. I didn't see a reason for all the extra wire going to the starter battery. However, my winch and aux lighting are all going to the start battery.

Cool well if you ever decide to do it below is a pic of my install you can install the manifold on the front side of the bracket. I'm doing the dual batt set up next. I had to move my bussmann fuse box in order to fit this tray.

View attachment 1345584

View attachment 1345585

Savirc, looks like your quick connect on the manifold might be facing down?! Wasn't sure. Are you running the compressor just for lockers, or did you move it to another location? Cheers.

Savirc, looks like your quick connect on the manifold might be facing down?! Wasn't sure. Are you running the compressor just for lockers, or did you move it to another location? Cheers.

Quick connect was not on there. It plugs to one of the hex plugs on the endcaps. On there now, haven't posted an updated pic. I used the one that came with this kit. not the one that came with the compressor.

20170125_190114.jpg

20170124_231538.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom